What's new

Silver Colored Receiver (1 Viewer)

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, quick question. Anyone know what a good Silver colored DD/DTS 5.1 or 6.1 receiver in the $350 - $400 range would be? It's not for me, it's for my sister-in-law who has asked me to set up her system, but she only wants silver components. I tried to get her to get a Yamaha, because I've had 2 in my short home theater life and I love em, but I don't think they make a silver Yamaha in this price range and she won't go for a black receiver. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestion Dave, but unfortunately I showed her the picture of the receiver and she didn't like it. She's driving me crazy with this. She said it has too much black in the upper part. Aargggghhhh.

She saw a Sony that she liked, they make a bunch of silver receivers, but I'm not too familiar with the Sony line. I've heard good and bad things about them, but I want to get her something that sounds really good because I plan to go to her house and watch movies when I get this thing set up (I have a system that I am very happy with, but my TV is only a 36" 4:3 set and she has a 50" Sony Widescreen :)

Any other suggestions?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Unfortunatly if she wants all black I only know of very expensive components that feature this such as Aragon, of course Sony, NAD...etc.

The only one I know of that is a good reciever that offers silver is the new Harman/Kardon line but of course the top of them is still black... If I may ask, why does she have such a problem with black? Personally I think the black on the silver is pretty stylish and the blue knob is cool.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Sony STR-DE895/S 6.1
Sony STR-DE895/S 7.1

I know somebody with the 7.1 model, both he and I rate it as average.
But they both can be had in your price range, and they both have fairly impressive specs and features.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Denon is beginnin to release some of their receivers in silver now. I'm not sure what models are available yet but I suggest checking them out. The AVR-1604 is in that price range.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Alex, I was unaware of that, good to know.

I have worked all these years to keep my TV and all my components black, and now what do I do? I go and buy a Silver HDTV... lol

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll be darned, I just went to Denon's site...

3803S and 2803S both listed as new... Gun Metal Silver finish in the description....

dusty

Agent
JasonMA, I'm in MA too ;) I just picked up an Onkyo TX-SR501, it was only $299 from Crutchfield, and I am very happy with its quality. Your budget is a little higher, so you could afford something nicer, like the SR601 or SR701. The Denon line sounds very nice too. I'm still noobish when it comes to HT, but I dont think you can go wrong with Onkyo or Denon.

best,
Dusty

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
How about the Kenwood 7070? Not a big Kenwood fan but the four number series isn't too bad. Lots of features and a darn good looking piece. Don't know the price but should be near your range. Gene

JohnPop

Stunt Coordinator
lol, she is picking this on color :angry:

Given the choice of only silver, I'd go with the Onyko though

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Sony 1000ES can be had online for under $400. I've checked it out at HiFi Buys and it seems to be a very solid unit. Will probably be the last ES w/out digital amplification. Looks great, sounds good from my in-store experience (compared very well w/ the Yamaha 1400 and Denon 2803 in my non-extensive listening).

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
I know, it is pretty frustrating. I have gone over all of your suggestions with her and she has decided on the Sony STR-DE895S. I tried to sell her on the Onkyo, but once she saw the Sony she was hooked. The TV is Sony and so is her DVD player, so she just wanted to stay within the brand. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's her preference, not mine. Thanks again for the help guys.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would definitely give the 1000ES another look especially since she wants to stay sony. Their non-ES stuff has been of questionable quality in the past and the ES line has almost always stood well above the non-ES in these terms. Also includes a 5yr warranty.

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
The 1000ES does look nice. I've searched a few sites and while there are a few that have it in the low $400 range, when you add shipping it goes intot he mid $400 level. She has a $400 cap on the budget for this thing and she's staying pretty tight on it. Most of the dealers that have it for close to that price are pretty questionable, and the one's that I do trust (Hifi buys, J&R, Crutchfield, etc.) have it in the $550 to $600 range. Thanks for the suggestion though. I guess she's just gonna get what she pays for.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well even though she bought on color, I don't see as she did that bad.....

Come back and give us a report when you get it all up and running. The guy I know with the 7.1 Sony STR model has no plans on upgrading, and it is meeting all his needs currently. And most important of all, when I am over at his house watching movies, I don't notice any diffenciencies in his system at all.

His is black though.... lol

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Jason

Seems her choice has been made, but thought I'd mention anyway there are a couple mid line Yamaha receivers available in Silver.

The catch is the only way to get them is to buy the componet package they come in. A mid line Yamaha Receiver and a matching Silver colored Yamaha DVD transport. Sorry do not remember model#'s....
They had one refub at a well known e-tailer around your/her $400.00 price cap with free shipping. 450.00 I belive it was.

These "are not" the low end Yamaha HT in a box jobs either, only a receiver and player.

Seems almost all the major componet brands are begining to show Silver faced Receivers and especialy DVD players coming to the market this year.

Regards
Geoff

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
I can't seem to find the component Yamaha packages you are mentioning anywhere on the net. I did however discover that Yamaha makes a ton of silver receivers but they only seem to be available in Europe. :frowning:

I'm still working her though, trying to get her to consider the HK AVR230 or the ONKYO TX-SR601S. She won't be ready to buy until next week, so hopefully I can work my charm on her and get her to change her mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks