What's new

3D Silver Age 3-D 1966 - 1997 (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Ed, that is an understatement.

I thought giving it to Dan was the right thing to do. Of course, it was at the time.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I can only imagine how that must feel. I suppose experiences like that informed later decisions with the 3D archive.

What did you think of those 8 minutes?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I never looked at it. I figured when the time was right, we'd do a scan and preserve it.

Sigh...

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Not to pry, Bob, but have you reached out to the members of the Stereo Club of Southern California? Some of those folks made a special point of being at the estate sale. You never know what they might have rescued. They did manage to preserve Dan's Blu-Ray copy of Inferno and the one surviving NaturalVision rig housing, as I understand it. I regret that I myself was not able to make it that day, else I might be able to provide better, more reassuring information.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Bob Furmanek said:
I never looked at it. I figured when the time was right, we'd do a scan and preserve it.

Sigh...

that's a real shame, I suppose when you have the only known copy of something, you don't want to risk damaging the footage with unnecesary screenings.

I was looking at a 1983 copy of Cinefantastique last night (the 3D issue), and there's an article where Dan Symmes briefly mentioned this film, along with other projects that presumably fell through.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, when you have a one-of-a-kind element, you never put it on a projector. The one and only time you touch it is to transfer and/or scan it.

I've reached out to the good folks with the Stereo Club. No luck. Apparently, it vanished in the Saturday morning free for all when Dan's lifetime of collecting 3-D (from the mid-60's) was scattered to the winds by a bitter ex-wife.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS have a will!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Bob, you mentioned 'Operation Taifun' in the Owensby thread. Which is the first I'd heard of it, I was surprised to see it doesn't seem to be listed on your Silver Age of 3-D page ... presumably because it wasn't releaesed in the US?

... looks like a fun movie, very much of the 60s and quite unique from 3-D movies of other decades.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, my page focuses on the U.S. released titles.

This is one that I'd love to see released in 3-D, but who's going to spend all that money scanning a 65mm element?

It would look fabulous!

More info here: http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/hifi70/english/index.htm

Hi Fi Stereo 70.jpg

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Just thought I'd mention Synapse's 42nd Street Forever blu-ray has a (2-d) trailer for Disco Dolls in Hot skin

Mike Ballew

Second Unit
Real Name
MIKE BALLEW
Operation Taifun and Frankenstein's Bloody Terror ( La Marca del Hombre Lobo ) would both find warm welcome from me on Blu-Ray.

I hope that as success builds upon success for you and Greg, Bob, that someone somewhere will reach out to you with favorable plans for these two films. That would be a treat!

And, come to think of it, does anyone know if any of the pre-1989 Soviet 3-D films have ever made it to Blu-Ray? I wouldn't mind seeing Robinzon Kruzo again, and I've always had a hankering to see SOS Over the Taiga. No foolin'.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Bob Furmanek said:
Yes, my page focuses on the U.S. released titles.

This is one that I'd love to see released in 3-D, but who's going to spend all that money scanning a 65mm element?

It would look fabulous!

More info here: http://www.in70mm.com/news/2010/hifi70/english/index.htm

attachicon.gif
Hi Fi Stereo 70.jpg

From your experience, would you expect any better quality image from a Stereo 70 source, compared to 35mm single strip 3D of the time? If the two images are squeezed onto one frame, would that negate any added image resolution you might get from 65mm?

Although I'm sure you and Greg could work miracles on it. Seems to have some nice location work, I'm sure it didn't always look as murky as current internet sources show. I'd love to see those scenes as crisp 3-D images.

Stephen_J_H said:
Operation Taifun looks like it would scream out for a horrible dub, amirite?

The first half hour of an english-dubbed version is on youtube as 'Electra One'. This movie seems to be listed under several different titles.

I liked this review that described it as 'James Bond turned jewel thief'.

http://www.italianfilmreview.com/2012/06/with-death-on-your-back-con-la-muerte.html

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
Just remembered seeing The Groove Room/What the Butler Saw on either Cinemax or The Movie Channel back in 1991. I would buy this as a 3d blu as it was more Benny Hill type saucy comedy than softcore. There was a scene using a stereoscope that was pretty clever

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
This kind of movie made going to the cinema in the 70s something to dread. Stuff like this was always lurking somewhere in a double bill with garbage like "Superdick!" aka "Cry Uncle" and "Cruel Passion" aka the worst movie Koo Stark was ever in (apart from all the others).

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Interesting development.

Now, nearly half a century later, this faux Frankenstein favorite is finally being resurrected: though long assumed to be lost or destroyed, a search of the Independent International archives has turned up the original 3-D elements; a new 35mm print has been struck by Garagehouse Pictures and it will soon be touring the United States.

As I understand it, the prints Independent International used to create the original US 3-D release were not in great condition, and may have had audio sync issues. Ideally, it would be better to go back to the Spanish 65mm negatives, if they exist. Still, hopefully it's better than nothing. ( I just worry that people may dismiss a film's 3D on the basis of fixable technical and presentation issues).

Last edited:

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Samuel Sherman, legendary drive-in movie producer, director and president of Independent-International Pictures, will be in attendance to introduce the film.

Perhaps the big news here is that Sam Sherman has emerged from the woodwork.

...I was thinking back to earlier in the year when many of us were lobbying Code Red to release a 3-D version of the film, the apparent stumbling block was difficulty getting contact with Sam Sherman. Bill Olsen and some of the Code Red regulars were against a 3-D release, but it had begun to look like we might have made progress in changing minds. However with Sherman unreachable, the project appeared to be on hold.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=208746&page=1521

It may be worth paying continued attention to the Code Red thread to see if there are further developments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks