What's new

Silly Terminator 2 sounds (1 Viewer)

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
Its not that big a deal but I couldnt help myself from mentioning it- People may or may not realize this but almost all the non-dialogue sounds you hear in movies (footsteps, punches, kissing, stuff breaking etc.) is made by these people called Foley artists who basically sit in a recording room and watch a movie amd record all those sounds right there. So they break and hit stuff and get it all on tape and thats what ends up in the movie as the background sound.

Anyways- I was watching Terminator 2 today, and I was cracking up in the scene where Sarah Conner has just knocked out the security guard, and is prancing around the hospital with her little nightstick. She's completely barefoot, but the sound effect they use while she's walking down the hall makes her sound like she's wearing a pair of steel toed work boots:laugh:!!! The Foley guys completely screwed it up. I guess they weren't paying attention and just assumed she had shoes on. It really sticks out because there is no other sound in the scene at that time, just her clunking down the hall in her big old heavy boots. This sort of thing happens all the time in movies, its no big thing. I just couldnt help bringing this one to everyone's attention.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yay! Thanks for giving me a good reason to throw T2 in for another spin! It's been what, a couple of months?... :)

--
Holadem

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Mike...that's great. :D

I've got a keen ear for stuff like this, but hadn't noticed that one...it's been a while.

KyleK

Second Unit
There are so many goofs and continuity errors in T2...I kind of wish I didn't know about them all. It's a bit harder to enjoy the film when you're looking for the steam-shooting things on the grill, or the blurred explosion frame, or the magically reappearing semi truck windows.

Oh well. Still one of my fave flicks! :D

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I hear quiet footsteps, but not barefoot. It sounds like shoes, definitely not boots. The sound is immediately contrasted by the heavier footsteps of T-1000 as he transitions from the guard to Robert Patrick.

In the next scene the foley artists put her in basketball shoes, because when Arnold comes out of the elevator and she slips trying to stop herself, her feet make squeaky noises.

The movie is full of unnatural sounding foley effects.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I had it up loud enough. If you think it sounded like Linda Hamilton was wearing combat boots, what do you think Robert Patrick was wearing?

KyleK

Second Unit
Actually, I think the sound effects were intentionally exaggerated for the most part, in order to make it seem "larger than life." For instance, Arnold's shotgun sound actually is several different gun sounds and a canon blast mixed together.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Foley artists? Thanks, now I know who to blame for all the lousy sound effects in many programs.

You know, where it sounds like they've put the microphone in somebody's pocket, because the "background" noises are wildly disproportionately loud relative to the dialogue, or the action that is of interest.

Mars a lot of TV...:frowning:

Robin Warren

Second Unit
One of my fave sounds is in the Matrix Reloaded Burly Brawl scene when Neo knocks over a pile of Agents and you can hear a bowling ball knocking over some pins.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I thought the Burly Brawl scene wasn't until Revolutions?

And about the current subject, my dad and I always had a good laugh about that. Terminator 2 was my first introduction to "movie goofs" when my dad found a list list on the net and brought it home. We spent a good few hours watching the taped from TV VHS version and spotting all the mistakes, including the barefoot Sarah scene (our personal favorite!).

Ahhh....memories.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Foley artists? Thanks, now I know who to blame for all the lousy sound effects in many programs.
It's the foley artists who record sounds, but it's the sound editors who decide which sounds to use. Often the reason an effect sounds wrong is because it has not been specially recorded for a film or show but has simply been pulled from a library. (This is actually a plot point in the film Blowout.)

M.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Point taken!

But I've long been appalled by those decisions, and the lack of proportion among sounds in many productions. Probaly similar to the mindset of the audio engineers on the overly compressed cds that many discuss on the Music board.

Anyway, real human hearing is intentional, we focus on the speech, and to hear the noise of change in the pocket, or the rustling of gowns, as tho the ladies in costume dramas had microphones in the hems of their skirts, drives me crazy.

:frowning:

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I too noticed the bowling pin effect. That was pretty funny.
A similar effect in T2: I swear that if you crank it loud enough, when Arnold smashes through the wall at Cyberdyne you can hear the voice of the Kool-Aid jug from those old commercials saying "Oh Yeah!", just like in the old Kool-Aid commercials (where the jug busts through a wall, shouts "Oh Yeah" and gives the kids something to drink).

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
I absolutely HATE HATE HATE :angry: when I hear the same stock sounds recycled OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!! Listen carefully and you can hear the same creaky metal gate, the same laughing children, the same screeching cat, in EVERY SCENE OF EVERY FILM EVER MADE that would call for such a sound. It really pisses me off more than you can imagine. It's just laziness and cheapness that keeps these things getting cycled through over and over, but honestly, how expensive can it be to just go out there with a microphone and record some new sounds?! ARGH!!!

Speaking of cat sounds, has anyone else noticed that WHENEVER they show a cat in a scene, no matter HOW FAR AWAY in the background the cat is, they always HAVE to make a sound for it?! Come on people, not all cats meow all the time. I swear, it drives me up a freakin' wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks