What's new

Silly Simphonies. I can't find all of them on the discs. (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
I am in shock. Am I missing something?, I can't find many of the silly simphonies listed in the booklet. What is this?. Is there any way to access these cartoons, Water babies, who killed cock robin and others on disc one. I am suppose to go to a hidden easter egg to find any of this? I am going insane. I hope I am doing something wrong, because if Disney made a mistake it could proof costly. I have tried this disc in 2 different dvd players and I have put the discs in "play all" and went track by track and I don't find them. has anybody had any problems?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I posted this earlier today in the rec.arts.disney.animation

usenet group:

Disc One

========

Fables & Fairytales

-------------------

1) The Tortoise and the Hare (LP)

2) The Country Cousin

3) Babes in the Woods

4) Elmer Elephant

5) The Flying Mouse (LP)

6) The Golden Touch

7) The Robber Kitten

8) Lullaby Land

9) Mother Goose Melodies

Favorite Characters

-------------------

10) The Wise Little Hen

11) Three Little Pigs (LP)

12) The Big Bad Wolf

13) Three Little Wolves

14) Toby Tortoise Returns

Leonard's Picks (all presented with an intro from Leonard Maltin)

---------------

Anything with the "LP" footnote above plus...

15) Wynken, Blynken, & Nod

16) The Grasshopper & the Ants

The numbers represent the order they are sequenced if you choose "play all"

Easter Eggs (all presented with an intro from Walt Disney)

-----------

(+) Fables & Fairytales Menu --> Water Babies

(+) Captions Menu --> The Practical Pig

(+) Favorite Characters Menu --> Who Killed Cock Robin

(=) Main Menu --> The Grasshopper and the Ants

(=) Leonard's Picks Menu --> Wynken, Blynken, & Nod

(+) Means a cartoon not otherwise accessible

(=) Means a cartoon already listed above

Disc Two

========

Nature on Screen

----------------

1) Mother Pluto

2) Peculiar Penguins

3) The Old Mill

4) Funny Little Bunnies

5) The Ugly Duckling (1939) (LP)

6) The Ugly Duckling (1931) (LP)

7) Father Noah's Ark

8) Birds of a Feather

9) The Busy Beavers

10) Just Dogs

Accent on Music

---------------

11) Music Land (LP)

12) The China Plate

13) Egyptian Melodies

14) Flowers and Trees (LP)

15) The Cookie Carnival

16) The Skeleton Dance (LP)

(+) Woodland Cafe

The numbers represent the order they are sequenced if you choose "play all". It appears that "Woodland Cafe" is not included if you select "play all", only as a standalone title -- Chapters 17 and 18 of "play all" are the featurettes.

Leonard's Picks (all presented with an intro from Leonard Maltin)

---------------

Anything with the "LP" footnote above, no additions for disc two

Easter Eggs (all presented with an intro from Walt Disney)

-----------

(+) Accent on Music Menu --> Farmyard Symphony

(=) Nature on Screen Menu --> The Old Mill

(+) Means a cartoon not otherwise accessible

(=) Means a cartoon already listed above

Interestingly, they use artwork from "Goddess of Spring" for one of the menus on disc two, but that particular short is not included on this set as far as I could tell. It is, of course, available as an extra on the Snow White DVD.

That's everything that I could find. All told, there are 37 animated shorts in addition to the supplemental materials. It is an undeniably great set, but I wish they didn't make it so confusing to figure out what the actual contents are. The printed insert adds to the confusion rather than clearing it up.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Is there a *good* reason as to why they did this?

I can understand why most things are put on as easter eggs, when the material presented is not really up to par or just plain irrelevant, but why on earth hide cartoons on a cartoon compilation? If they wanted a gimmick to cause discussion they could have found something better I think...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The only cartoon that does not look like a recent remaster is "The Practical Pig". I could understand having the Walt Disney introductions as an Easter Egg because its a fun way of presenting them and they are not available for every title on the disc, but there is no good excuse for hiding the cartoons that are otherwise unavailable and yet are still listed on the inserts with no indication that they are Easter Eggs.

Regards,

Chuck L

Screenwriter
While I agree that having to find some of the features is a pain, I am just happy that Disney is putting these out to begin with. Though I know that when I get mine, hopefully will be under the tree, I will be flustered by the searching, in the end, SS are well worth it.

Luis M

Second Unit
Not everybody comes to these forums to discuss the way we do, here you can find easter eggs because somebody always knows. There are many people out there that will buy this set and return it because there were cartoons missing and don't even know there's such a thing as an easter egg in a dvd.

One thing is an easter egg and another is a missing cartoon(s) that appears as regular programming in the dvd booklet, never to be found.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I understand what you are saying Luis...but the average Joe also still can't program their VCR's....much less another remote to find these Easter Eggs.

I think that companies do it to make it look like there is something special on it. To the general public, yeah, it is. For those of us that know what the hell we are doing with a remote, it isn't that much of a problem or at least we have people here to help us figure it out.

Jamie E

Stunt Coordinator
:angry:
By definition, an easter egg is a bonus that you don't know is there, hear about via word of mouth, or simply stumble over while you're "mousing" around the menus. It's asnine to advertise a cartoon as being in a collection and then make you hunt for it! What is this, a DVD or a puzzle? How about giving us a choice between buying an easter egg version or straight-ahead presentation version of the DVD? It wouldn't be so bad if you could permanently "unlock" the cartoons. Instead, we'll have to keep a list of how to get to the easter egg cartoons and jump through the ridiculous hoops forever.
"Congratulations Jamie, enjoy your new car. Now, if you can figure out the right sequence of control button twiddling, you can turn on the windshield wipers. Isn't that cool and fun! Hopefully you'll figure out that you need to flash the headlights twice, honk the horn, reset the odometer, and tap the cruise control button before you try to drive in the rain. Oh, by the way, you'll have to do that every time it rains, for as long as you own this car." :thumbsdown:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well thank you ken for telling us how to get the EGGS.:emoji_thumbsup:
Marty Christion
Two Words: Easter Eggs. Two more words: Happy Hunting.
MARTY several words.these things are nothing like easter eggs. it's too bad someone had to call them that because now everyone does. they have nothing to do with easter and there isn't anything happy about hunting for them.
if you knew they were there and someone asked about them wouldn't it have been better to tell how to access the EGGS, either by pointing to a website or detailing the steps to open the "secret code"?:thumbsdown:
down with EGGS!!!!!

Real Name
Takayuki Kihara
But what puzzled me more is that "Woodland Cafe" was not included in the "Play All" option. You can only access it by choosing this title in the menu. To me, this was more difficult to find because we tend to look for easter eggs but not the one that's apparently visible... It's like "The Purloined Letter" by Edgar Allan Poe where the Police couldn't find a stolen letter in the thief's apartment which wasn't even concealed at all. Anyway, the same goes to "Pencil Tests" in the Mickey Mouse tin, which I missed in the first time viewing.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Hey Bjørn,

Just wanted to let you know that Warner Bros. is definitely working on releasing all of the Looney Toons shorts on DVD. It's just taking them a long time because there's a lot of restoration work that needs to be done. But they ARE on the way. Happy holidays!

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Ken, Just wated to let you know that your post is now a permanent part of the contents of my Silly Symphonies tin. Thank you very much!

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
While I agree that this is a great set, I also agree that this easter egg business is just total BS. I never would have known all about it had I not clicked on this thread.
Ken, thanks for that list.
~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I finally got around to disc 1 of the SS collection and I have to say that I had no problems with eggs. I tend to look around at suspicious looking things and these all highlighted pretty quickly.

For half of them they aren't even hidden, just the Walt intro is. Only a few of them are totally hidden like Cock Robin.

Anyway, I had no problem with it. It makes me feel like I am getting more and I enjoy the interactiveness of it.

I mean lightly browsing a menu is nothing like digging through The Abyss or ID4 menus. Those are eggs to me, things you have a hard time getting to even knowing where they are at.

In the SS case these things are basically wordless menu selections, the actions you take to reach them would not change a bit if the icon were replaced with the name of the "hidden" title.

BTW, it's a killer set for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks