What's new

Silly Question: what type of cable should I use for audio? (1 Viewer)

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All:
Well, most of my parts for my HT are all at my house! Just need a few more things and I'll be ready to go! I have a quick, simple question that I need help with. What type of cable should I use to connect the audio from the dvd player to my receiver?

I have the following items:
denon 2200 dvd player
denon 3803 receiver

any help is greatly appreciated!

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
If your DVD player and receiver have both Digital Coax and Optical its upto you which one you use. Coax is a more secure connection.

Kevin

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks!
Do you know if that type of cable, typically, comes with a receiver? If not, any idea where I should purchase one from?

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Yes and No. Typically, "throw away cables" that come with components can include a yellow ended composite video cable. That can be used for digital because it's 75 ohm. But quality of the cable could be an issue. Or lack thereof.

You could try Radio Shack for a little better cheapie with the connector "grip of death". Or if you want something better that may last through 2 or 3 receivers, you could buy a quality cable from one of the online vendors, or go to your local A/V store for one.

Lex

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Chad,
Doug is correct. The quality of cables that usually come with your receiver are usually really poor and I can't think of anyone that uses them.

So that said, I would look around at the various cable dealers online and purchase a Digital Coax if your dvd player allows it. This would be for Home theater(Dolby Digital, DTS audio as well as cd's but most will use a set of 2 channel analog interconnects for that instead) then again most will not use their DVD player as a cd player...

Now if you wish to listen to DVD audio and SACD, You will need either 6 analog interconnects for multichannel or if you wish to just go with 2 channel then all you would need are 2 analog interconnects.

For cabling, I like http://www.signalcable.com

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Or he could try one of the sponsor companies Shane and support HTF by supporting a sponsor. Everyone's quick to post their personal favorite. Well, since I am paying for advertising here, I don't think that statement is out of line. :)

Lex

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
I concure
If you are finding the info you seek as valuable from this forum? And you have no issues with Online Ordering from a Internet site at the same time owning a wonderfull high tech device called a Credit Card. Do it..:D
I also say spend no more then 25% of what the items worth on the cable/speaker wire/power cord.
If your handy with a soldering iron buy bulk wire and ends and make your own (excluding tosh-link).
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...p?bannerid=177
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...p?bannerid=175

Either way enjoy HT/music Bugggggggg

:D

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All:
Thanks for the wonderful advice; however, I am still confused a bit. I guess I want to get the best sound possible and to do this, I am still not sure as to what type of cables I should get.

I am not sure if I need 6 analog interconnects, 2 analog interconnects, a digital coax cable, or something else. As of right now, I do not envision myself purchasing a SACD.

I hate being confused :frowning:

Paul His

Agent
Go with a digital coax cable if a digital coax inlet is available at the back of your receiver.

If the inlet is not available, get an optical digital cable.

Both will provide quality sound transmission, but the coax is more robust than the optical according to most reports.

Paul

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Paul:
Thanks for the post. I am fairly certain my equipment has the digital coax inlets (i have the denon 2200 dvd player and denon 3803 receiver).

So all I need is one digital coax cable and I am good to go? How does bluejeancable rate for digital coax cables? I have ordered from them a few times and simply love their products and prices.

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Its all good :emoji_thumbsup:

Your need a cable for Digital out to reciver for sound and you need video cables as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks