What's new

Silly question: JBL N24's vs. Paradigm Atoms? (1 Viewer)

Joe Ferreira

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I am for real. I have the NSP1 from JBL but the upgrade bug tells me to buy Paradigm Atoms and a matching center. Will I notice an improvement?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
While I'm guessing yes, I haven't heard the JBLs. I'd suggest saving up a little more for something that will give you a more noticeable difference. I had/have Atoms and Mini-Monitors and my Ascend 170s($328) out preform both. Read this review in Sound Stage, http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/a...ics_cbm170.htm The competition around $300-400 is getting mighty stiff. The new budget Rockets(ELTs) will be out in the next month or so to shake up the budget market even more.

So, start filling your time getting out and listening.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
I've been speaker shopping lately and listened to both of those speakers (though in very different environments). I was not much impressed by the Atoms I heard and would rate them roughly the same as the N24s*, so personally I would consider that a lateral move. If you have the space for a slightly larger speaker and only a little bit more cash, I would look into the Paradigm Titans, or possibly one of the better JBL models like the S26. Either of these would be a real, noticable upgrade.

* Disclaimer: I heard the JBLs at Best Buy and the Atoms at a specialty audio shop, so it may be that the Atoms came off sounding worse in comparison to the other models I looked at and the JBLs came out looking better by comparison to the other nearby models...

keir

Stunt Coordinator
the atoms and titans sound extremely similar. i own both and the only difference i notice is a fatness to the midbass on the titan. i actually think the atoms sound better overall, as do many who have compared them side by side. but if you are shooting for this price range, consider axiom as well. i think they are better than the paradigm performance line by a decent margin.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Wow, maybe the shop I was at had the Atoms set up poorly. They really sounded thin and constrained to me next to the Titans, which sounded awesome. But as someone who has owned both I'm sure you would know better than someone who demoed them for a few minutes. Or maybe my preference is toward fat midbass.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i have compared the titan/atom side by side a couple of times. when they're crossed over to a subwoofer you have to listen pretty carefully to even tell them apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks