Silly power supply question..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    In the about 50th package from Newegg that I got, you wouldn't believe this but I think the 300W Sparkle PSU that was sent to me is dead. I put the plug in and plugged it into the wall and turned it on, figuring at least the fan should run.... needless to say it didn't. This is with NOTHING hooked up, I checked the voltage and it's set right... I can actually see a little spark when I plug in the cord. Now, a PSU's fan should run right or am I losing it?

What else can go wrong??? fortunately, I bought the Enermax PSU that's in my system... I'll probably sell this one once I get a working one!

Jay

2. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

If you don't have it hooked to a motherboard, it might not power up.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Really? Perhaps I'll try it on my old motherboard...

Jay

4. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I also assumed my PS was broken but after trying a new one on the same motherboard it is stone dead still. Since both PS:es are highly unlikely to be broken I have to assume it's the mobo.

I guess ATX powersupplies interact with the motherboard (after all you can shut them down with commands from the software) so they need to be hooked up to power up. At least I assume that to be the fact.

5. Jason Moreland

An ATX power supply won't run without being connected to a motherboard.
    But, there's a trick for everything. You can take a piece of wire or a paperclip and short the green wire to any of the black wires on the motherboard connector.
    If the power supply is working, the fan will start up.
    Don't worry, there isn't much current running through the green wire, so you won't hurt yourself. [​IMG]

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hmm, well I actually have my old PC around (Shuttle HOT-637P with a PII-300) and I can easily hook that up to it... It does have a switch in the back unlike the Enlight one that came with my case.) Unfortunately, I didn't have the time yesterday with Civ3 and the 'Walking with Prehistoric Beasts' on Discover and X-files, and Futurama, and the Simpsons, and SuperCroc, and Alias... Geez, I had my VCR running, my Dish501 recording WWPB, and me watching Alias and the Simpsons and Supercroc (parts of it)....

Jay