What's new

Silly 16:9 question about my Sony WEGA (1 Viewer)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
It barely comes under the term Home Theatre because it's only a 27in tube BUT it does have a "16:9 enhanced mode". I THINK I manually have to engage it

BUT

The question is . . .I already see widescreen, what will engaugeing this mode do for me.

I assume I'll have to go into the setup of the DVD player to change a setting or two and then find the correct setting on the Sony.

What's the advantage and will I actually be able to tell?

thanks!

(there is always one more tweak it seems like! lol)

SORRY - I suppose this should go into the Display/devices area.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
On my Sony Wega (kv-27fs13), I go to the "settings" tab in the menu of the TV and turn on the "Enhanced 16:9" mode.

If, after you do that, your screen gets squished, then you need to go into your DVD settings and make sure 16:9 is selected there too.

It should increase your picture quality noticeably. It will not change the viewing area. You will still be looking at a widescreen picture, but it will be clearer.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
One other thing...on the lower end Wegas (like mine), you have to make this adjustment manually each time you view a DVD.

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm no expert on this since my 32" Sony is old and doesn't do the 'squeeze', but . . .

Yes, you would have to tell the DVD player you have a 16x9 TV and set the 'squeeze' mode on the TV.

What you get is increased resolution on all your anamorphic DVDs. Whether you can tell the difference on a TV of that size . . . guess you'll just have to try it and find out - shouldn't take more than a few seconds to make the changes and check the difference.

Good luck,

Rob

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Mark - that's the model I have. I just calibrated it last night and WOW! much much better. I thought it was a great picture before but . . . .

I'll try it tonight! hmmmmm what to watch. hmmmm

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I can tell the difference even on my 27". It is just slightly less "grainy" with the enhanced mode.

I am waiting on my AVIA disk to calibrate. I can't wait to get this thing calibrated. I heard bad things about the Wega's (geometry, pink lines, 1/3 of screen brighter than rest, etc,etc) but mine looks very nice right out of the box. I did see some with problems at Best Buy, and was nervous that I would get a bad one, but except for a very very slight uneven line at the far left and right bottom of the screen (when watching CNBC for example), mine looks fine. And I wouldn't have even noticed the geometry if I hadn't read about it here first.

One might say that there should be zero geometry issues, but I have the same very slight geometry problems with my flatscreen monitor on my comp and it doesn't really bother me. Getting perfectly straight lines on the edges of a perfectly flat screen is a very difficult task evidently.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Mark - I found what most people find after calibration, I was to sharp, and to bright. The red hue was not THAT bad (compared to most I guess). The color is now deep and rich with more texture.

Make sure you put everything on STANDARD display and Neutral color temp.

-------------

Getting perfectly straight lines on the edges of a perfectly flat screen is a very difficult task evidently

________

LOL - evidently as I have those also.

I WISH I would have forked out a few hundred more for a 32inch but at the time I didn't know I was going to go ape-shit over HT. Heck - I was even anti-DVD. I never purchased a VHS tape, what's the big deal over DVD (I know own 26 LOL - although several are going back to ebay)

I think the Sony flatscreen is a great set. No complaints what so ever.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Got home and made all the right selections and here is what I come up with. Some good some bad (for me).

27 inch Sony WEGA (yes yes I know it's freaking small)

Tombstone (2.35-1 ratio) in NON-16:9 mode.

my viewing area is 10" x 21". Sitting 14 feet away it's OK.

Adjusting both the DVD player and TV to handle 16:9 the colors are outstanding, grain (what there was) disappears, HOWEVER, the viewing area shrinks just a tad to 9 1/4" x 21", it's not squeezed - looks great!!!

Now that might not seem like much but at 14 feet we are at the edge of the viewing envelope with NON-16:9. What we would need to do is lug the couch closer if we want anamorphic. hmmmmmmmm

Can't justify a larger TV . . . YET! This one is only 6 months old.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hey Rod, don't knock a 27" screen!;)
I have the same size VVEGA as you, and i'll tell you this, after calibrating with AVIA and doing a few things in the service mode menu, my VVEGA SINGS like a 60" 16x9!:)
You get 33% more resolution from your dvd's when veiwing them in 16x9 mode which yeilds a more film-like picture.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
RE: 4:3 TV with squeeze, comparing:
Both DVD player and TV in 16:9 mode,
Both DVD player and TV in 4:3 mode,
The finished picture dimensions are theoretically the same, but may differ due to minor calibration differences. For the TV 16:9 mode, also look for a service menu electronic matting adjustment used to hide annoying flashing speckles or stripes at the top and bottom but might have cropped off some of the picture as well.
16:9 TV set owners are not exempt from this problem. Here, the 4:3 mode may have some electronic matting at the sides.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I see a MAJOR difference but am still trying to digest Allan's post.

When in 16:9 mode (both) I see the BLACK letterbox bars and then SLIGHTLY less black bars.

The diff is only 3/4 of an inch overall and does not look squeezed. BUT - still - small from 14 feet away.

Mark - have you seen this Service Menu on your Sony? I sure would love to get that 3/4 inch back.

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't gone into the service menu. There is a site that I'm sure someone here can point you to where a lot of discussion and tips can be found on the Wegas. If someone can give you a link to that site, it will describe in detail how to get into the service menu and what to do when you get there. Sorry I don't have the link.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. With a 4:3 WEGA adjusted for 16:9 mode, the scaling and proportions of the image are going to be the same as if you were watching a standard letterboxed presentation. The difference will be that your player no longer needs to downconvert the 16:9-encoded image into standard letterbox format. The result means that all 480 lines of resolution will be present in a 16:9 window, with the black bars above and below being "dead" space. The aspect ratio will remain the same. Therefore, you will always have black bars.

Is this clearer?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Oops I forgot to mention that playing with the electronic matting would only recover material lost at the very top and bottom of 1.77:1 and in some cases, 1.85:1 movies.

Also play with the vertical size (sometimes labeled VSIZ) control. This will reclaim the 3/4 inch of picture height you say you are missing, but if the TV does not memorize the settings for 16:9 mode separately, the 4:3 unsqueezxed picture height may also increase by an additional 3/4 inch resulting in more overscan.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Jack - that was understood. I don't havea problem with black bars. I was just surprised that the picture was . . slightly smaller (not squeezed) by 3/4 of an inch.

I was assuming it would be exactly the same.

Of course there is another alternative . :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I see what you're saying. Well, there have been numerous threads here vis. the WEGAs "over squeezing" in the 16:9 mode--a problem correctable in the service menu. This situation does exist. You will need a certified calibrationist to help you there, unless you're willing to go into the service menu yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks