What's new

Silk Trees as Acoustic Treatments (1 Viewer)

Leo

Second Unit
I've heard that placing 2 silk trees (between L & R Front speaker and big screen cabinet) help the acoustic treatment of a theater. Just wondering if this is farfetched or does it add any value.

Leo

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
Leo,
I don't know how much they may help conventional speakers, but in my 2-ch system I use Magnepan 3.6/R sepakers which are about 4.5' away from the front wall and 8' apart, and have a pair of 6' silk ficus trees along the wall behind the speakers at about 6' apart. I also have a small oriental rug hung on the wall behind and between the speakers. The reason for this is the dipole nature of Magnepans i.e. sound comes from the front and rear of the speakers. To minimize higher frequency reflections, I started with the rug and then added the trees directly behind each speaker along the wall. Then I proceeded to adjust the trees' positions till they ended up 6' apart, which is where the magic happened. The highs were tamed and the soundstage deepened.
I would say try it out and see, but these silk plants don't come cheap, especially the 6' kind. I know people that use drapes, rugs etc. to the same effect. I don't know how this would help with an RPTV between the speakers (unless you were to cover the screen with a rug ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks