Silk Stockings officially announced from WAC

Dr Griffin

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Zxpndk
Great news.
And now we just have to wait for a new transfer of one of my favourites, 'Funny Face'. The present transfer is a real stinker!
I remember reading this was one that didn't hold up to being projected, but looked good on smaller displays. Is this a mastering problem, or would it need a new scan?

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Gretchen is what I call a "blue-collar Broadway star". Always delivered the goods and starred in many shows, often as the first replacement (she took over for Verdon in "Damn Yankees" and Chita Rivera in "Bye Bye Birdie"). The story of how Wyler hooked the plum supporting role of Janice Dayton in the original Broadway production of "Silk Stockings" is hilarious, and arguably the highlight of Rick McKay's documentary feature "Broadway: The Golden Age".
I got an opportunity to meet Wyler in the mid 1980s. A friend of mine worked at a hospital where Wyler was having surgery and he mentioned I was a fan and she told him to invite me to see her! So when I met her she was in a hospital bed and not looking very glamorous but she couldn't have been nicer or friendly. She talked a bit about doing Private Benjamin with Goldie Hawn and her disappointment that much of her role ended up on the cutting room floor. She signed the Broadway cast album of Silk Stockings for me too.

Reactions: classicmovieguy

Thomas T

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
WAC - if you read this, PLEASE, pull the plug on musicals and focus on the real movies. The Asphalt Jungle, Bringing Up Baby, Captain Blood, The Philadelphia Story, Mildred Pierce etc
I hope you're sitting down because I've got some shocking news for you! Musicals are real movies. As much as westerns, horror movies, thrillers, comedies, film noir, war movies, melodramas, science fiction, swashbucklers, war movies etc.

classicmovieguy

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I got an opportunity to meet Wyler in the mid 1980s. A friend of mine worked at a hospital where Wyler was having surgery and he mentioned I was a fan and she told him to invite me to see her! So when I met her she was in a hospital bed and not looking very glamorous but she couldn't have been nicer or friendly. She talked a bit about doing Private Benjamin with Goldie Hawn and her disappointment that much of her role ended up on the cutting room floor. She signed the Broadway cast album of Silk Stockings for me too.
Wow!!! I'll bet she was a real sweetheart.

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I remember reading this was one that didn't hold up to being projected, but looked good on smaller displays. Is this a mastering problem, or would it need a new scan?
Apparently excessive DNR which left everyone looking like waxworks. So maybe the existing scan would be ok, if then left alone...
It looked fine on my 46 inch plasma, but pretty crook on my projected image

Reactions: Dr Griffin

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha