What's new

Silicon Valley - Season 5 (HBO) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
9wi33p4o3ip01.png
Unless they were playing an insane long game, it's pretty amazing that a name that was invented at least 5 years ago actually lent itself to that joke.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Did anyone else smile uncontrollably when Jared was named COO? Best episode of the season so far. I was surprised that Jared wasn't already the COO prior to this episode. I'd say he'd eventually be the CEO, but he's too loyal to Richard.

Jared, as usual, had some real gems tonight:

"You'd tell me if you harbored nativist feelings, wouldn't you?"

"Sweet dreams."
"...If only."

"The complaint specifically cites: 'Sullying their smartfridges with mime-simulated fellatio.' "

Also:

- "Whenever you hold the meeting...I'll be in an hour after that." I am Gilfoyle, and Gilfoyle is me.

- "Oh, that's the song 'You Suffer,' by Napalm Death." I should've assumed Gilfoyle was into grindcore. (Dinesh: "...Bitcoin is REALLY volatile today.") Seriously considering writing a script to play Gilfoyle's music, and putting it on my friend's mining-rigs.

- "You're just a biz-dev guy." HOW DARE YOU RICHARD! JARED IS A SAINT!! RICHARD U DAM, DAWG

- Big Head! Where the hell has he been?!

I really wanted Richard to wake up to hear more of Jared screaming in German, though.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else smile uncontrollably when Jared was named COO? Best episode of the season so far. I was surprised that Jared wasn't already the COO prior to this episode. I'd say he'd eventually be the CEO, but he's too loyal to Richard.
This episode had the fewest laugh out loud moments, but it was my favorite too for the reason you stated. Once Richard's idealism got shattered in the early seasons, he's made a series of petty moves since. It was nice to see him come out the other side and do the right thing for the right reasons. Ben would have been Jack Barker 2.0.

My favorite Jared line of the night was right after they'd dropped the hammer on the appliance company. Many people in that moment would have projected dominance. But instead of rubbing it in, Jared softens the blow: "I have a Seppen bread maker and I’ve never been happier with an appliance." It's a classy move that will make Seppen more enthusiastic about entering into this partnership, but -- because it's Jared -- we know it's also an earnest, honest compliment shared in genuine appreciation.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Great plot developments in this episode. Not as many laughs, but extremely enjoyable for the fast moving separate storylines as the characters move on to different settings than the incubator house. Finally!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Richard easily has his best moment of the series showing COO-wannabe Ben the door and reminding him there IS no contract yet. Finally, character growth supreme.

And though there wasn't as many memorable laugh lines this week, I did laugh every time the bitcoin alarm went off. That was an inspired bit. And so true. (Though the stock market isn't far behind in volatility)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm so glad they pulled Richard back from going full-asshole in this episode. They could've wasted half the season with firing Gilfoyle, hurting Jared, and hiring that COO guy who ends up nearly screwing over the company and making it all Richard's fault, but I'm glad they didn't go that far. Gilfoyle is still in and saves the company with Jared, Jared gets apologized to and rewarded by Richard, Richard realizes how messed up the COO guy was, and they learn about the mole.

I've noticed that Jared seems to be the main thing standing in the way of Richard becoming just like Gavin Belson, which makes me appreciate Jared's character even more. Example: Gavin would've totally thrown Gilfoyle under the bus, but Jared was there to stop Richard from pulling a full-Gavin.

I know some people on the Internet are annoyed with Richard's character development, but honestly, the way he's slowly becoming more petty and self-aggrandizing is, IMO, the logical progression, because, as Erlich pointed out in Season 1, the only way for him to succeed is to become an asshole (for example, the way Richard destroyed Sliceline is reminiscent of how Gavin hired all 60+ people just to hurt Pied Piper).

Special mention: Jared noticing a "Richard" in Dana. In the beginning, though, I felt he had clearly gotten it wrong. 'Cause if you notice, Dana was clearly much more of a Peter Gregory than a Richard. Still, Jared was absolutely right in perceiving him as a Richard -- first, because he had known Dana from Hooli-times, and probably had a liking for his awkwardness, which he also found in Richard, and hence his dedication to him up 'till now, and more importantly -- Jared never knew Gregory personally.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm so glad they pulled Richard back from going full-asshole in this episode. They could've wasted half the season with firing Gilfoyle, hurting Jared, and hiring that COO guy who ends up nearly screwing over the company and making it all Richard's fault, but I'm glad they didn't go that far.
Yeah, it was a good move to not do it because the viewers would know that those problems would have eventually been worked out so a multi-episode arc going down that road would have been fairly pointless.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
T. J. Miller is seriously messed up, and in some serious deep shit...

From CNN Tuesday:

Former "Silicon Valley" star Todd Joseph "T.J." Miller is facing a federal charge that he allegedly called in a fake bomb threat from an Amtrak train, officials said Tuesday.

Miller was arrested Monday night at LaGuardia Airport in Queens, New York. The 36-year-old actor is accused of "intentionally conveying to law enforcement false information about an explosive device."

He appeared before U.S. District Judge Jeffrey A. Meyer in New Haven, Connecticut on Tuesday and was released on a $100,000 bond.

The charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
T. J. Miller is seriously messed up, and in some serious deep shit...

From CNN Tuesday:

Former "Silicon Valley" star Todd Joseph "T.J." Miller is facing a federal charge that he allegedly called in a fake bomb threat from an Amtrak train, officials said Tuesday.

Miller was arrested Monday night at LaGuardia Airport in Queens, New York. The 36-year-old actor is accused of "intentionally conveying to law enforcement false information about an explosive device."

He appeared before U.S. District Judge Jeffrey A. Meyer in New Haven, Connecticut on Tuesday and was released on a $100,000 bond.

The charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
Why do I have the feeling that the people that work on Silicon Valley could tell some really crazy stories about that guy? Also, I get the feeling that if Miller wasn't a lunatic, Erlich would still be on the show.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I felt his role in Ready Player One was totally superfluous and not worthwhile, and certainly not worth quitting Silicon Valley for, if that were his reason.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Why does Jared absolutely steal every single episode in a series packed to the rafters with scene-stealers?

- "We had to revise our office dating-policy, because it is essentially the Olympic Village out there."
- "You Judas, you cow-handed poltroon...we thought you were a STALLION!!!"
- "K-Hole...the makers of Undead Sex Offender?!?" LOL, that Jared instantly knew this.
- "Why does every home I've ever loved get stripped?"

But, my god...this. This.

Jared: "Look...cutting all ties to DeeDee and First Site will definitely send a strong message to Colin, and and it might be the only way...like, killing somebody to prove you're not a narc, or showing a john your genitals to prove you're a legitimate male prostitute, and not an undercover cop."
Richard: "What...??"
Jared: "Because cops aren't allowed to do that...and, worst-case scenario, the john walks off with a free peek."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks