Silicon Image chipset - Only in Denon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamB, Jan 4, 2002.

1. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

Howdy folks...
    I'm looking for a prog. scan player and based on advice posted here the Silicon Image chipset seems to be best. But, the wife has me on a budget ($400) and I've not found the Denon 2800 for less that $600. Is there another single disc player that uses this chipset or is there another solution within my price range? My 56X81 is BEGGING for prog. scan!!! [​IMG]

2. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Any players with the Faroudja chip will be just as good and are probalby the only ones in your price range.

3. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

You might want to check out the Panasonic RP56. It has the Faroudja FLI2200 chipset, very comparable to the Si503. Can be had for around $230 and is the only player in your price range with one of the superior chipsets.
    DB[​IMG]

4. WilliamB

Thanks a lot. One other question:
    What chipset do the Toshiba prog. scan units use? Would you pick the Tosh. SD6200 for $350 or the Panny RP91 for $440 or the panny RP51 for a bit less?
    I'm really on the fence as my goal was the Denon 2800 but the wife won't fund that one... [​IMG]

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Based on shootout results, for progressive scan performance I would go with either the Panasonic RP-91 or the RP-56 over the Toshiba unit (chroma bug and Genesis chipset).

THe RP-91 has a little better picture quality, but has the Genesis chipset. You sacrifice some picture quality, but gain deinterlacing performance with the RP-56

Silicon Images and Faroudja are both excellent solutions for deinterlacing, although the Faroudja is a little better than SI IMO.

Regards,

6. WilliamB

Thanks a lot. I'd get the RP91 but it has DD5.1 built in and my receiver has that so I'd be paying extra for something I don't need. But - =do you think the pic quality is so much better than the 56 it warrants the extra $$ anyway