Silent SVS mono amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Witko, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Mike Witko

Mike Witko Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have a suggestion for a silent mono amp for powering an SVS? The stereo amp that I currently have has a fan that is starting to drive me crazy. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I would like something that works and is almost completely quiet.

thanks

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

3. Mike Witko

Cool it looks like SVS uses the 320W for there PC20-39. I wonder how easy it would be to use this on my subwoofer. Would I need to install it interally into the subwoofer or can I use it as an external amp?

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I would just build an external box for the amp, much like Patrick Sun and Ron-P did with theirs. You'll be able to put it anywhere, and saves you from cutting a whole in the SVS sub, NOT RECOMMENDED!

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I wouldn't try to install it internally. I'd just use it externally. Prop it up behind your equipment rack against the wall, or build a simple box for it.

The power section should be identical to the SVS amps I think. But it won't have the same rumble filters or crossover stuff.

6. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

the stewart world series of class H amps should be considered when driving any good sub. they've won every innovation design award out there over the last 5 years. the stewart world 2.1 beat every other amp overall in the bass player shootout (though for bass guitar, it translates well for a sub, too).
    no fan, stable to 2 ohms, last forever build, lightweight, very efficient and excellent low end reproduction. relatively cheap, too. odd to me that more people aren't using them. give a peek, if you like:
    http://www.musiciansbuy.com/stewart_...amplifiers.htm

7. Mike Witko

quick question on the BASH. Does it have an output that would make it easy to just use a speaker wire to hook up between the BASH and the SVS?

8. Mike Witko

I just asked the above question because I don't want to do any soldering.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My guess is it will be like other plate amps. Will have a couple wires (1-3ft long or something like that; best way to find out would be to ask Kyle I think) that you can connect to the sub. Or you could cut those wires shorter, crimp on some longer speaker wires and run those to the sub.

10. Eric Hargrove

Eric Hargrove Stunt Coordinator

Use an old stereo amp bridged. My Adcom GFA555 drove my Ultra extremely well with a minimum of 850w into a 4 ohm load. The damping factor is much higher on an amp like this. Another good option would be something older from Carver. You should be able to find either on ebay for $300-$350 max.