What's new

Silent Hill - your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
I know that Silent Hill has been out for about two and a half years, but I just picked it up as part of the $19.99 greatest hits PS series. Very glad I did too, since this game is apparently out of print. I didn't even own a Playstation when this game first came out and missed much of the hype about it. I did a search but couldn't find any threads about the original Silent Hill, only SH2. I've been playing the game for about a week now and would like to get some other opinions.

As for me, I'm totally into it. This is my first horror game, really. I had always heard that the game was really gory and scary and I must concur. In the very beginning, I was like "This isn't so scary," (except for that music they play during the opening cinema sequence which I found to be freaky as hell) but then I got to the door that leads you outside into the darkness on the way to the school. Then my reaction was "oh shit". Ever since I got to the school, this game has kept my nerves on end. I have a sense of dread each time I open a door, afraid of what may be behind it. Though I haven't found the monsters themselves to be very scary, it's the whole atmosphere and feel of the game that piles on the suspense. I will soon be entering the "Nightmare School" and am both dreading and anxiously awaiting it. I have decided to only play Silent Hill in the daytime.

If anyone doesn't mind talking about a dinosaur of a system like PS1, I would love to hear some opinions and personal experiences with this great game.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Its an excellent game, and I can't get enough of the Survival Horror genre. Check out the Resident Evil series while you're at it.

I'm really looking forward to the re-release of the Resident Evil games for the GameCube.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Silent Hill is an excellent game and one of my PS favorites. The atmosphere is very thick. The elementary schoold still scares the hell out of me:). The only big fault I have with the first game is the story is very very difficult to figure out if you dont pay attention to every nuance of what is told to you and watch all the endings.
Once you finish the game I would recommend going here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/data/20324.html
There is an excellent write up explaining the story in great detail. Again..dont read it until you complete the game!:).
Finally if you have a PS2 or an X-box run dont walk and pick up Silent Hill 2. This is my game of the year. IMHO the sequel is even scarier and freakier than the first one. I enjoyed the story allot more than the first one also. It had a more "human" quality to it where the first one was allot more "monster, supernatural" feel if that makes any sense. Anyway Ill quit rambling now:). Enjoy the game!

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
This game freakin rocks. It totally freaked me out, especially the music throughout the entire game. Very spooky!

Although, I already have a Gamecube, I'm thinking about getting the X-box, because Silent Hill 2 looks and sounds awesome!

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
No PS2 or Xbox yet, unfortunately. I would probably be willing to buy a PS2 for Silent Hill 2 alone, but I would really like to finish the first game before I start the sequel. Hopefully by that time, the PS2 will come down in price a bit.

I finally got to the Nightmare School. Dig that freaky atmosphere. I used to think that the Winged Beasties were the most annoying creatures in the game, but now I must give that honor to the little white zombie kids. Damn, I hate those things. I can never get away from them. Little buggers grab your legs and stab you. Grrrr...

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently playing the first Silent Hill as well, in anticipation for the Xbox release. I went to bed last night with the sound of that radio static swimming in my head.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I was very impressed with the original Silent Hill, but thought it should have been left alone there instead of being drawn out into the new Resident Evil every 3 months game cycle.

I found the first S.H. to be very spooky and several times it scared the hell out of me. In comparison, I found S.H.2 to be really boring and not at all frightening. (This is the same feeling I had about all the Resident Evil games.)

You really can't go wrong if you can get your hands on the original Silent Hill at a decent price, but I'd advise you the rent the others before you buy them.

Peter_A

Second Unit
The first Silent Hill was great, but the second installment was quite dissapointing for me. Seemed like all you did was wander around in a fog bank for hours on end.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
alone there instead of being drawn out into the new Resident Evil every 3 months game cycle.
Your more than entitled to your opinion about the game but I dont see how the game has been drawn out into what you describe above. There have been two Silent Hill games all together and they are almost 3-4 years apart!? Restless Dreams is the same game as two with a little added content for the X-box. Again I dont quite see how this statement applies.

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Silent Hill's a classic! Excellent replay value as well, with all of the various climaxes. I've been meaning to finally give the UFO version a whirl for a while now.
I find it to be creepier with the radio turned off, as it drowns out the ambience when switched on. The music is great, and those damned tiny ghost babies scare the crap out of me every time!
Playing it at night in Prologic with no lights on is NOT recommended! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks