What's new

Silent Hill 3 Preview on Extended Play This Weekend! (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
This is mostly a heads up to my fellow Silent Hill junkie Romier....

There is a Silent Hill 3 preview on this weeks EP. It plays the E3 trailer and has an interview with the producer. They go on to say that they are going to make the story line easier to understand this time along with making the game easier to control. Not really sure if they should mess with the formula, but I have faith the game will turn out to be some scary ass shit.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My only complaint about SH2 was the battle control being a little weird. Other than that it was damn near perfect.

My brother was playing SH2 again a week or two ago, and I recognized something. (possible connection between SH2 and SH3)

During the part where you need to walk through the door to the big wall things in the city and you walk over the large section of grating with the monsters underneath it, the monsters hanging from it look like the monsters from SH2. Maybe these monsters are a connection between the games to show where the subway (from SH3) is. Maybe the subway is closed off in SH2...

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up Kelley. I'll be sure to check it out.
They go on to say that they are going to make the story line easier to understand this time along with making the game easier to control. Not really sure if they should mess with the formula, but I have faith the game will turn out to be some scary ass shit.
I'm all for the controls being made easier but please don't dumb down the storylines. Part of the enjoyment of Silent Hill, at least to me anyway, is having to pay attention to the little details as you make your way through the game. It helps to figure out what is going on and how everything ties into the storyline.
Silent Hill 1 was a huge convulted story that basically forced you to get all the ending to even come close to understanding what in the world happened. Silent Hill 2 was IMO pretty straightforward. It was fairly easy to figure out as long as you payed attention the whole way through the game. It was convoluted enough though to keep you playing and interested. I am hoping part 3 stays within these parameters.
Plays wise, as noted, I'm all for control changes. If it makes the game easier to play and ups the enemy difficulty I'm in full agreement. It will only add more tension. I don't mind the formula being shaken. It will keep the series fresh.
On that note, I'm rather enjoying some of the scenarios I've seen. The subway looks excellent and I wouldn't be against most of the game being indoors in such environments (ala Toluca prison). I hope they do involve "foggy" Silent Hill in one way or another. Its best use would be as a small portion of the game. Give the gamer a glimpse of what they have seen before, tie it into the series but use it very sparingly this time. Once the gamers feel at home, rip that security right out from under them and play the loud SIREN signaling..well we know what that siren in the distance means:D.
I do agree though Kelley, this will be some scary shit and I still got your bus ticket my friend:D!
Morgan,
That is an excellent hypothesis. The one thing that makes me think otherwise is that Silent Hill throughout the 2 games has been in a constant state of change depending on whos nightmares its servicing. It could be the subway and especially the school tie very heavily into the past and or future of the main character.
This leads to my statements above. Keep the storylines accessible, but complex. Discussing the meanings and motivations of the story and characters is a MAJOR part of why I love Silent Hill.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Just finished Silent Hill 2 a couple of days ago. Personally I was incredibly disappointed.
But I'm still looking forward to a sequel.;)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
The happy birthday song they sing at the beginning of the teaser freaks my shit out! I wonder if this one will make it to the Xbox also?

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Once the gamers feel at home, rip that security right out from under them and play the loud SIREN signaling..well we know what that siren in the distance means
Haha...that siren in SH always freaked me out. I had forgotten about the siren while I was playing SH2 then when it sounded later in the game I was like, "Oh shit!" :)
Aaron

Damien

Supporting Actor
i will probably beat silent hill 2 in a few days::
here's what should be inmproved for 3:

smarter enimies. i'm sorry, but the enemies for the most part are way too easy b/c they are slow and can be disposed of easily when a tactic is learned
. Plus when you run by some of them in a dark, wide area with your flashlight on, some won't even notice you.

perfect the controls - i like the controls besides the meele ones, which are terrible

i like the camera angles a lot, but when you need to look ahead it doesn't always respond

make gameplay better - some of the sections, especially early in the game, can really piss you off, for their repetivness or vagueness. i think that this silent hill should be the one that doesn't have all of the shortcomings all survival horror games have

that's the qualms i have 60% thorugh, but the atmosphere is superb and is getting better the further i get along. That and the storyline probably keeps me going, because i had to check gamefaqs around 7-8 times so far.

I also read some interviews and they said this will be the scariest yet., as well as a different storyline. It's too bad that this may be a PS2 exclusive(Konami got backlash from ps2 owners when restless dreams came out for X-box because that is where most of the SH fanbase is).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
That SH3 trailer was creepy, and I like the fact that they're taking it in a new direction in a few ways (different type of main character, different setting, stranger enemies, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks