Silent Hill 2 story questions **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    **SPOILERS... You are warned***
    Having just finished SH2: Restless Dreams, I have a few questions about the story. I have NOT played the original SH either so bear with me...
    It seems to me that all the characters that you find have a connection to Silent Hill, either as patients (Laura, Mary) or something in connection to each other. There's a part in the game where you are in where you have to jump into a hole in your grave where the headstone says "James Sunderland", the other two say "eddie Dumbrowski" and "Angela Orosco" All three seem to share the fact that they killed somebody and now seem confused and troubled. Angela was abused by her father which the story alludes too and the fact that she killed him), Eddie killed somebody (perhaps somebody who was picking on him) and a dog, and of course James killed (technically) Mary when she was on a short leave from the hospital even though she was given a few months to live anyway. All three seem to face some kind of guilt for doing such even though all three feels they were justified a bit.
    What about Maria??? her presence in the whole story was a bit confusing to me, especially the end boss battle where James finds her in the old warehouse and she winds up fighting James... What's her shtick in the whole scheme?
    What's with the timeshift too, with Laura receiving the letter saying happy 8th birthday even though if Mary did die 3 years ago, then Laura should be 11 years old... I'm a bit confused with the time shifting going on. If not a timeshift, is Silent Hill somekind of otherworld, or so called "Parallel Univese" where Mary lives in but not in the actual world where James is from????? That's the only other explaination I can come up with.
    Jay

2. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I haven't played the original SH, nor have I finished all the endings in SH2, but the best explanation I've come up with is that Silent Hill is a place created by your subconscious to punish you for the crimes you've rationalized away... Maria is an element of James' punishment.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks for the link Romier, it sounds logical to me...

BTW, I have examined the knife (I was wondering throughout the whole game what that was really for, until Angela asks for it back towards the end), examined the diary at the top of the hospital, and checked out the headphones the second time around in the Lakeview Hotel. Has anybody actually figured out what determines the ending you get? I read the one reply where they list a bunch of stuff you can get. None which I got but I did spend alot of time wandering around, especially in the Woodside Apartments... that was lasting forever!

The name that reappears in the news articles and stuff is Walter Sullivan...

BTW, there's a Jay's Store in the map... I feel famous. BTW, anybody know the song that they play during the credits, that was cool, plus the little video and stuff..

I'm gonna have to check out the Maria game that's on the X-box version... should be cool I guess...

Jay

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

I know the Walter Sullivan name now[​IMG] That plot post was written way back when I first finished the PS2 game. I have beaten the game too many times since to forget any aspect of it anymore[​IMG]
    There is a soundtrack available for the game. You can get the soundtrack on Ebay. I usually purchase from a gentleman with the Ebay name of vivilionheart. His email address is [email protected] If your interested in the soundtrack you can purchase it from him for 15.00. Mention my name if you contact him.
    The song in question by the way if I remember correctly is titled "Promise" and is track number 30 on the soundtrack. (As an aside I wanted to mention that the soundtrack is very worth getting as the music in the game is fantastic.)
    The Maria game is a bit short but it opens up allot of answers and even more questions about the plot. Once you beat let me know if you need any explanation as to what went on.