Silent Hill 2 questions..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hee hee, been freaked out the last few days playing SH2: Restless Dreams in the prison... I got the three templates and put them in that (minor spoiler, it's fairly obvious) hangman's galley in that HUGE room with nothing much else in it (except the horseshoe
    Now I'm not sure what else is there to do. I know I need to find something to open a trap door near a save point and I keep hearing this really scary and nasty howl over by the jail cells but I'm kind of stuck right now... any hints, don't come out and spill the beans but hints are welcome, would save me alot of moseying cause I've checked every door that I can access. I think the "thing (see spoilers)" I find in the big room is used for the trap door but it needs something else in combo for it I think. And there's a weird room in one of the cells with some drawings and somthing like "463 people in a rally" or something like that...
    And not that it matters anymore but I'm just curious, Can you kill Maria -your sidekick you meet in the park in the beginning for a short bit? I mean I noticed everytime I walked into her, which was often, she would groan as if being hit. And she obviously has no clue how to defend herself or even move!!! I'd sit there and watch while she would get pummelled by a leg creature...
    2D controls are ALOT better but I'm still perplexed as to the camera controls, I'm still having trouble navigating cause you'd be walking and all of a sudden the camera angle will change and being in such a small room, it's soooo easy to lose where you are. Combat is sometimes gruesome, not because the enemies are hard, it's sometimes soo hard just to know where you are. It seems Konami went very hard to try not to do a FPS kind of game but it's just sooo weird. I think Squaresoft has got the best camera views I have seen, from Vagrant story to Parasite Eve, the ones that I have tried... (not a lot)... Cool story though, that prison is freaky.
    With James in such a dreghole, how does he remain so spot clean, and the other characters.. I mean he falls off a building, gets barfed on by meanies, gets punched in the face by 4 legged weirdos, yet he looks as fresh as a spring day?? [​IMG]
    Jay

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey, I found my answer.. I've got everything I need and I'm right about using the thing I found in the big-room for the trap door. I just thought it was going to be used with something else and not with the things it is actually used with.

I'm still wondering about Maria and how does James remain so spotless? Why does he insist on running through this abandoned cesspool with all these freaky creatures running around, in a mental asylum/prison, in the middle of the night, with a puny flashlight that dies and a wooden plank?????

HELLO!!, is this guy insane, would you be doing this? I think I would hole up and sleep, at least til daylight!

Jay

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey, it's a thread to myself.. I guess I'm the only SH2 player reading this forum at this moment?

Anyway, played a bit last night, that stupid pyramid head guy is damn near unkillable. I shot like 16 rifle bullets about 25-30 handgun bullits and about 10 shotgun blasts and this guy just didn't die. I wound up using all my health stuff and eventually just gave up and let him kill me so I could start over... This is under the prison after falling through a bunch of holes I wouldn't even go near in real life, damm wife or not. This guy James is nuts, truly nuts.

Anyway, I just checked a walkthrough, turns out I don't have to kill him to continue but I had no clue what to do with that rotating head cube thing. There are no clues???? How on earth do people figure that out? I seached the whole room and all the walls leading up to that room, nothing.. How on earth do they expect people to figure that out? trial and error? Also the garbage chute in the Woodside apartments, how are we to know to use the cans of juice to stuff the things down, he has a damm plank of wood, why doesn't he just use that???? Some of these puzzles are just weird.

Jay

4. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

The rotating cube puzzle isn't that hard -- you just need to know that the cube rotates along both axes.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, yeah I know that it spins in both axis, but I have no idea what's the objective of it? Perhaps I don't have the game's (or my TV) brightness turned up because I did not notice anything different after turning or not. I got a hint from a walkthrough so now I know what the objective is, but til then, it looks like a kid's toy.

Jay

6. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Jay,
    Dont bother trying to kill pyramid head. He wont die. At least not yet. You are in the labyrinth I take it??
    THe cube puzzle is actually easy:
    When you see the cube you should see and indent on the wall behind it. That indent is part of the puzzle.
    Basically you need to rotate the cube so that the red eyed face is facing you right side up. From there you want to rotate the cube in either direction (left or right) so that the upside down face is shown. Then look at the wall. You should see a door open. There should be a second door that leads out on the other side. The first door should lead you to wierd suprise[​IMG]

7. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I started SH2 awhile back but haven't played it lately. I really like it so far though. I'm looking for a key in the first hotel right now (from the note) so I'm sure I'm way behind you. It is a cool game though....I'm surprised more people don't talk about it.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, I figured it out last night... I still don't understand your spoiler Romier though. I don't see anything besides the indent, I don't see any door open until I cancel 'B' out of the puzzle, however, I do hear a grating stone on stone sound so if you rotated the cube slowly, I guess you should be able to hear it. However to get the door to activate, it was all trial and error. I basically went through all the combos until I got the door to open and the stairs to appear. I didn't see any other door besides the stairs so I just went down it right away. I figured out the next puzzle, at least I knew there was an objective (to get another key). That face puzzle just didn't work for me.
    I'm over by the Lakeview Hotel now, just started... Rowing is another mystery to me. I spent so freakin long trying to get somewhere, I had no idea if I was moving or just spinning in place... they should identify you on the map just like normal. I basically restarted after about 15 minutes of complete confusion. After awhile the fog just looks the same. A couple times you pass a dock but for the life of me, I couldn't row over there.. Very annoying, these controls are really getting to me even though the story is getting really interesting right now. The hotel reminds me of the Shining in a bit... What's in room 312? [​IMG]
    Jay

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    As for the rowing thing...when I hopped into the boat, I saw that distant light. Figured that's where I needed to row towards since there wasn't anything else on the horizon.

Piece of cake.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hey Romier, I'm not even going to look at your spoiler! It was kind of a rhetorical question and I just got the key to the third floor.....

I do wonder what is it with the light bulb and the bar??? I went to the basement level with the elevator where you have to put all your crap in the cabinet then got the lightbulb and put it in the lamp in the bar, but as far as I know, there's nothing in the bar that I need. A broken jukebox and nothing that the lightbulb seems to do? Weird!

Yeah, of course eventually after floundering you see a light that you can row too, but I swear after going a bit, it feels like your rowing in place so a couple times I simply started to row in the opposite direction, and still it starts to look and feel like you're going nowhere...

(You notice James doesn't tie down the boat when he reaches shore... it'll probably drift away with that persistent wind and current that seems to be over the lake!!)

I'm wondering what are those blanket looking monsters... The 4-legged ladies and the vomiting guys are obvious but I wonder what are those things that look like an oriental rug and they smother you as their attack?

Jay

12. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Jay,
    Trust me my friend, I would never give away any of the suprises this game has in store[​IMG]. You can take a look at the spoiler as it is very minor and doesn't even scratch the surface as to the revelations in room 312.

13. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I played the PS2 version when it came out.. played it up until the end and then sort of 'gave up.' Then my memory file got corrupted, so I'll have to start from the beginning.

The good news: I have since upgraded my HT Speakers and Subwoofer... can't wait to hear this game that way!

Of course the Xbox version would be better if only for the 5.1 audio (drool).

Joseph

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, I finished it Thursday Night, I got that "In Water" ending and I'm told there others but you kind of have to redo everthing to try to get others... Here's some of the stats I remember:

a little under 12 hours of playing time..

70 saves (Hell I hate redoing things)

13 shooting kills

148 fighting kills - Hell, I'd shoot them and then step on their heads which counts as a fighting kill or I'd use the steel pipe alot cause I like to conserve ammo for the boss fights and stuff

How does one interpret the stars at the end, I had 7 stars

4 on top and a small 3 one on the bottom..

I have a question about the game itself but I'll address that in a new thread...

Jay