What's new

Silent Hill 2 Ending discussion thread*****LOTS OF SPOILERS!!!****YOU WERE WARNED! (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
After finally beating the game I must say I am not dissapointed by the ending. I will say there is allot of ambiguity at the end. You wont get all the answers you are looking for..but you do get the good ones :) This game leaves allot of room for discussion. Which is what I intend to do so get ready cause here I go..........
I obtained the "Leave" ending in my game. I'm still trying to sort things out but this is what I gathered.....James killed his wife (James seems to have gone pretty much crazy after that). She did not die of the disease. From the video you see in the hotel room it looks like he smothers her when he comes to visit. James seems to have supressed this memory for awhile as it seems like a total shock and revelation to him. Another revelation in the ending of the game is that the letter James received from his wife is actually a piece of a full letter his wife wrote to him before he killed her. It was to be her goodbye letter to him because she knew she was going to die. That comes into play with the Laura character.
Laura seems to play a big role in James' dementia. She says she met Mary almost a year ago in the Hospital that she was being cared for (which I believe that she did and is actually in Silent Hill to find Mary and James) but suppossedly she died 3 years ago. Laura is also carrying the remainder of the letter that James received from his wife (which leaves the question of who sent the first part of the letter to James? Was it Laura?). In the "leave" ending the letter is a very hearfelt apology from Mary for treating James horribly throughout her illness (you get a taste of this in the hall before the final boss) and a very sentimental Mary telling James that she loves him and he should go on with his life without her. She is also very understanding of that fact that James hates her for this which he admits to her in the final scene.
I believe Mary did not die 3 years ago, I believe James killed her a week to 2 weeks ago (around the time of Laura's birthday) and seems to have created his own little fantasy land to live in so that he believes his wife died of the disease. This is further supported by the presence of Maria who is basically the perfect embodiment of James wife. The dialogue I obtained at the end of the game was Mary (Maria) telling James to "learn" to stop making the mistake of calling her Mary. She says that she is everything James could want. She wont scream at him or be cruel to him ( like mary did) but she will love him. James realizes that he no longer needs the fantasy of Maria which is where James dementia really kicks in as Mary (Maria)transforms into the final nightmare creature.
The Pyramid head character is explained earlier when the 2 pyramid heads bosses are killed. They are basically there to punish James for the sins he has committed. For killing his wife. They are kind of torture demons, there to remind James about the things he's done. He tries to suppress the memories of killing his wife but if you notice allot of the times that the pyramid head appears it kills Maria over and over again. That is reminder that James is receiving. He has to witness his wife (his fantasy embodiment of his wife)dying repeatedly. It begs the question of why was there a picture of the pyramid head in the Historical Society? He seems to part of the past of Silent Hill. Pyramid head seems to be part of the history of Toluca prison and other historical pieces of Silent Hill. It appears that Pyramid head was the executioner at Toluca prison and caused the blood bath massacre you read about on that first stone in town...back to that in a little bit as that seems to be part of the Angela story...
Heres the next question...how do Eddie and Angela fit into this? How does the town of Silent Hill fit into this?
My take is that Mary is dead...her essence however lives on in Silent Hill. I think Mary is in her own form of dementia. She wants to tell James she is sorry. She wants to be free of the guilt of what she did to him. I think she sent the first part of the letter. She beckoned for James and she knew he would comeI think she also beckoned for Laura. Silent Hill is sort of haven for insanity in the game. I think the insanity of all the characters created the Silent Hill we see in the game.
Lets take Eddie for instance. Throughout the game the name of a murder named Walter Sullivan is mentioned several times. You first see his name in the garbage bag outside in the incinerator at the apartment building of Silent Hill. His name is on a grave at the end of the labyrinth and he is also partof the "Trick or Treat game". He seems to be the projection of Eddies insanity. Eddie is a murderer plain and simple and I think he was actually a denizen of Silent hill but went looney and actually intermingled his insanity with that of James and Mary.
Angela also added to the lunacay. You come across a newspaper in the labryinth right outside the door of the room you here Angela screaming at her Father. When you enter the room you must save her from the Doorman monster (one of her insane projections of her father). In the newspaper it basically states that a man with the last name of Oro... (the rest is blanked out in the paper) was brutally murdered with what appeared to be a knife. The police concluded that the murder was a crime of passion. Angelas last name is Orosco. After further conversation with Angela towards the end of the game you have to conclude that her father was molesting her and beating her and therefore she murdered him....Now here is where it gets interesting. From the family picture being torn and the later conversations, Angelas father has been having his way with her. You see pyramid head raping those mannequin demons in the apartment building...hint hint :). That is Angela doing what all these characters do best...projecting their insanity and making it a reality! (Pyramid head seems to be a second projection of her father while also being the executioners of toluca prison) Silent Hill is real but these people have turned it into a twisted vision of their lunacy. The game is all about the projection of this group of peoples insanity thereby making it a reality and turning Silent Hill into the absolute mad house hamlet we have all come to love. :)
In the end James kills Eddie because Eddie (William)couldn't conrol his bloodlust. Angela kills herself because she could not deal with the hell that is her life and the memory of what her father did to her. James and Mary both regain their sanity at the end. Mary can finally rest and James can go on with his life. Maria never existed in the first place. Pyramid head was also Silent Hills punishment to James for killing her so that he would have to witness her die continuously.
The only person who I think was actually normal and sane the whole time was Laura. The "Leave" ending shows Laura and James leaving Silent Hill together and Silent Hill seems to have returned to normal.
Everyones Luncay intermingled into what you see in the game. They cant make heads or tails of it because they are seeing bits and pieces of each others insanity. The thing is you have to notice that these characters dont see Silent Hill in the same way. James sees the Mannequin demons and the other ghouls. Eddie sees people making fun of him so he murders them. You see what Angela sees at the end of the game. All that poor Angela sees is fire. Laura can't see any of it which is why she is confused when James asks her how she can be alright with all the monsters.
Thats my interpretation of what happened in Silent Hill 2 given the info that was provided throughout the game and with the ending that I received. Please post what ending you received and feel free to discuss what you thought it meant. By the way I think this is one of the best games released in years and the story is light years better than the first one IMHO.
Now onto a couple of other things (and then I'll shut up!! :) I promise). I unlocked the noise filter option in the secret menu of the game....WOW! For any person out there that doubts the graphical prowess of this game or the power of the PS2....you need to see this! You need to see this game without the noise filter on. It is absolutely beautiful!!! The high resolution graphics give Metal Gear Solid 2 a run for its money!! That is where the problem lies though. The graphics are too pretty. I dont think I can play through the game without the noise filter on. You lose allot of atmosphere playing it without. It will on the other hand make those that dont like th noise filter very very happy.
**********GAME SECRECTS BELOW (TURN BACK)*****************
Spoiler:The next thing I did was start a new game....and what do I find but a nice new chainsaw! It is a very fun weapon to use as it totally makes a bloody mess of the enemy and also if you let James stand over the enemy for a minute he does a very Bruce Campbell, evil dead yell while flailing the chainsaw over his head! (Its very humorous).
****************END SECRETS********************************

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I just beat silent hill for the first time and I should give you a warning that the ending i got was different from your and confuses the game quite a bit.
**************SPOILER********
In my ending Maria meets up with james at the dock and they leave silent hill together. The letter from mary was stillr read and it said the same things yours did.
The part that confuses me is that I also believed maria was not real, just a figmnet of James' imgination. Then how does she physically leave the town with him? Also, where do you get the chainsaw in the new game after beating it, i couldn't find it

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Chuck , you received the "Maria" ending. You will recieve this ending if you stick very closely with Maria and do certain things throughout the game. A buddy of mine who just recently beat the game while I was at his place got this ending. It is usually the first ending most will see. from what I have read.
*****************SPOILERS AHEAD***********************
Spoiler:It appears that the "Maria" ending is one of the bad endings. Basically James accepts the fantasy of Maria and abandons the memory of his wife altogether. The letting go of his wife and the acceptance of his own insanity make Maria a reality ( I woud think, You have to remember that Silent Hill is truly what these people bring to the table in their minds). What is interesting though is that Maria coughs towards the end of the sequence. It appears that James is now in a vicious cycle of having to see Maria deteriorate of this same disease. You can see James in just destined to see her go the same route his wife did.
I'm working through the game again and doing some things differently to see If I can get one of the different endings (believe it or not I'm already in the prison again :)). Some of things I have done differently up until now is that I examined the knife that Angela gave me where as I did not do so the last game. I read somewhere this has something to do with the ending you receive. I also examined the diary on the roof of the hospitalwhich I also did not do my last game.
I have seen the "Maria" and the "Leave" ending. Supposedly the last 3 endings are the "rebirth", "In Water", and the bonus "dog" ending which is supposedly more an in joke. I'll let you guys know what the next ending I get is...
I'm not sure what needs to be done to get the chainsaw. I have no idea of the criteria you have to meet or how in the hell I met them but towards the beginning of the game where Silent Hill ranch is you should see a big pile of logs with the Chainsaw stuck in them (Youll hear the chainsaw as it is still running)
[Edited last by Romier S on September 30, 2001 at 09:20 PM]
[Edited last by Romier S on October 01, 2001 at 06:39 PM]

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
I examined the knife and the diary ontop of the hospital and still got the "leave" ending. There are some items that you need to pick up the second time through to change the endings. One of the things is NOT to pick up the knife that Angela leaves behind. There are two other items that are not there the first time through the game.
I'm not much help because I can't think of them at this moment.
Someone will stumble upon them.

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
I also finished with the "Leave" ending. I'm going to play it again, but I'm going to try to get the "In Water" ending".

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I got the "In water" ending.
**********************SPOILERS AHEAD************************
Spoiler:With this ending James basically commits suicide. He finally destroys the last boss and he is back at his wifes side where she is pleading with him to go on with his life but he tells her he cannot. At this point James takes his wife and places her in his car and drives into the lake where he drowns himself.......................Talk about UBER-depressing!!
**********************END SPOILERS**********************
I'm still trying to figure out what criteria needs to be met to get these endings but I'm kind of piecing some of these together. This time through I examined Angela knife, I read the diary on the roof. I made sure I examined just about everything in my inventory. I listened to the full dialogue in the last hall (I ran through the previous time because that I had knew had something to do with the ending). I also examined the headphones in the reading room of the hotel ( I didnt even see the headphones the last time I went through!)
I'm glad I took a 5 day vacation from work this week cause I wouldn't even remotely have the time to spend with this game if I didnt
biggrin.gif
I'm gonna run through the game for the third time now and see If I can get one of the other endings (I have read about a "rebirth" ending as mentioned in this thread). I know you need to get some specific items on a replay game to get this ending but I am not sure what all the items are. I came across 2 of them on my second trip through but I didn't get them all. I'll have to look harder this time through!! I will post what the items are when I find them.
[Edited last by Romier S on October 01, 2001 at 06:37 PM]
[Edited last by Romier S on October 01, 2001 at 06:38 PM]
[Edited last by Romier S on October 01, 2001 at 06:38 PM]

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
To get the 5th ending grab Angela's knife, the Chism(in the apartment), Silver goblet(historical society), and the Lost Memory book(Texxon).

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I just finished the game for the 1st time and I got the "Leaving" ending. I was very satisfied with this ending and I am going to start playing again in a couple of days (I can't wait to get the chainsaw).
I noticed I didn't see several cut scenes after watching the little video at the title screen. I hope this is because I didn't miss things but because I chose to do things in a certain way.
Romier,
Thanks for your explanation of Eddie, he was the only person I couldn't figure out. In the end he was just a nutcase, I was looking for a more deeper meaning, like the other characters.
Time to get the other endings.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Romier,
Excellent explanation on the ending. I finished this on Wednesday and recieved the "Leave" ending. I can honestly say that this was the scariest game I've ever played. The Resident Evil series had its moments, but this game had a fear that went deeper than something jumping through windows, or appearing around the corner. (Not a knock on RE at all - Code Veronica is an outstanding game.)
But I felt worn out towards the end, forcing James down hole after hole in the prison, and wandering around the hotel at the end knowing the end was near, but being afraid of what was behind every door. The music was delightfully creepy as well.
Many magazines/websites said this game would scare you, and they were right.
I'd like to start another game, but Devil May Cry is in my hands now, and I just got ICO. PS2 owners have some great games to play right now.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
I can honestly say Ive never been more nervous while playing a game in my entire life! The prison is especially nerve wracking.
I have gotten all of the endings now minus the dog ending which I really dont care too much about. Alas I think I will be retiring SH2 for awhile. I have Devil May Cry, Castlevania Chronicles, and Dark Age of camelot to keep me busy so I will be taking a break from the world of SH.
Besides the game has a way of wearing you down. I dont know what it is but you just feel exhausted after playing (its actually a good thing that the game can make you react in such ways) so I'm looking forward to something more jipper
biggrin.gif
I'm sure I will revisit this wonderful game in the near future as it is one that will never leave my library of games.
[Edited last by Romier S on October 20, 2001 at 07:38 PM]

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I don't know what kind of systems, (tv/speakers) that you guys are playing it on but, depending on what you're running it through, it can make a HUGE difference on the experience. Also, time of day and if you're alone all adds to the tension.
My ex-bro' in law and I (still good friends) got into a conversation about this game a few days ago. He hasn't played it yet and was asking me if I thought it was as scary as the mags all said it was.
Hell yeah! I told him but, I realized that it would be a MAJOR difference for him than it was for me. He's going to end up playing it during the day, in the family room, with a couple of little kids running around and the wife in the kitchen talking on the phone, cooking dinner. There is no way in hell you can get the full effect with a situation like that.
I played it alone, in the dark, on a 60in Proscan tv, Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver, DefTech speakers all around and, an SVS16-46pc sub.
...you just can't get the whole effect any other way than, alone, in the dark, with a good sound system. It was really terrifying at some points.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Derrik,
Excellent points. I made it a point to NOT play this game until late at night. I work 2nd shift + do the college thing, so there were nights I played from midnite or later till 3am. The night I finished it (Wednesday at 2am) I played it until 4:30. I didn't want to stop, because if I broke the last few hours in 2, the experience wouldn't have been as freaky.
I agree about the setup point too. My HT is isn't as extensive as most of the guys on the HTF, but it's decent for a poor college guy. A 32" Hitachi TV, Denon Dolby Digital reciever, Jamo speakers all around, w/2 subs. And those nifty Aura bass shakers.
The ambient music in Silent Hill increased the feeling of terror tenfold.
And Devil May Cry's tunes + sound FX are terrific, too. Videogames are starting to give my HT a decent workout.
Jason

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
How long is it taking everyone to finish this game?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
My finish time the first time through was 12 hours and 17minutes. Second time was a little under 9 hours. Third time was about 8 hours and 40 minutes and the last time I beat it took about 7 hours.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Romier,
Thanks. That seems like a very short game play time...does it go that fast playing?
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Believe me troy you will be so swept up in the atmosphere and just all around uncomfortablility the game provides you wont even notice the time. Make sure you explore the game world and dont rush through the game.
The story will suck you in and believe me...you will be scared while you play this!!!
Make sure you are playing at night with all the lights out and on a good surround system. I forced myself only to play this at night with all the lights off and nobody around. Its the only way you can truly experience the game the way it was meant to be experienced.!!
[Edited last by Romier S on November 01, 2001 at 04:02 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Thought this thread should be revived...

I just beat SH2 today (I know, took me a while) and got the "in the water" or whatever its called ending.

I have a question:

I know that there are 3 or 4 items, but which ones get which endings? Can you only get one of the items at a time? Do you need combinations of the items to unlock endings? If so, what items get which endings?

Also, in the Hotel, there is the place where you can place items. Could you (in theory) get all the items and leave only certain ones at that place so you get the ending you want?

Oh, and the ending was great. F'ed up game, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks