What's new

Silent films from Warners - news? (1 Viewer)

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Has anyone heard news on an upcoming DVD of THE BIG PARADE? I read a comment on another forum to the effect that it's supposed to be released this year. If you haven't heard, the original camera neg was recently discovered, and the restored print is said to be spectacular (I haven't seen it myself). What a DVD that will make! There has also been a recent restoration of THE SCARLET LETTER, and I'm hoping that it and THE WIND will make it to DVD soon. (Here's hoping for a Lillian Gish box set of her MGM silents...I'm dying to see ANNIE LAURIE!)

Warners, if you're reading - thanks and much appreciation for the silents coming out next month (Garbo and BEN-HUR). I'm buying BEN-HUR for the silent version, although the restored Wyler version makes quite a nice bonus ;)

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
I hope the great WB release a King Vidor Box with newly-remastered prints of the Big Parade and The Crowd.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I saw restored prints of both The Big Parade (one of my top 10-15 favorite movies) and The Scarlet Letter in the last couple of months. Big Parade did indeed look great, and while parts of The Scarlet Letter looked great as well, a few sections of that one were still pretty "blotchy" and would presumably need some more work for DVD. Damn good movie as well, I'd never seen it before.

Here's an interesting PDF link about The Big Parade and its recent restoration. At the screening I saw, they were handing out an abbreviated version of this article, by Richard May, VP for Film Preservation at Warners.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This, THE CROWD and THE WIND would be mightily appreciated.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I think there is probably a reason we've not really seen many of the silents of note out of WB. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we get the best silent box set ever put together of the big titles. Something along the lines of Warner Legends, but with half a dozen titles and extras akin to the Flynn or Gangsters sets.

At least that's the sort of thing I just expect WB to have up their sleeve. I'm perfectly willing to be patient, because although it may take them time to release, WB does right by their films.

And quite frankly they almost need to stop releasing dvds altogether for a while so I can catch up, anymore releases than the incredible pace this year and it'd stop being an embarassement of riches and just be too much to comprehend. :)

;)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I'm dying for the next Lon Chaney set, 'cause we need:

HE WHO GETS SLAPPED
THE UNHOLY THREE (1925)
THE MONSTER
TELL IT TO THE MARINES
WEST OF ZANZIBAR
THE UNHOLY THREE (1930)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks