Silence of the lambs question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Viktor Lundberg, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Viktor Lundberg

I still need this movie for my collection and since the criterion collection is OOP I was wondering if there is a huge difference in the transfer between that one and the "regular" widescreen edition available? I know the criterion has some stuff like the commentary that the other one doesn't have but that's not too important to me.

Should I go with the regular one or should I try my luck at ebay or amazon.com's used section?

Viktor A Lundberg

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Picture-wise from what I understand is better on the re-release. The extras were the only thing that I remember luring people to the Criterion one. I bought the "regular" edition and it's great.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The current MGM release has a very nice transfer.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The Criterion is not anamorphic, the MGM is. The commentary and extras on the Criterion are quite good and well worth having if you're a huge fan of the movie.

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

The difference between the Criterion and MGM are almost literally night and day. The Criterion is darker, somewhat murky. The MGM is brighter and, of course, has better detail. This can easily be seen when Clarice meets Lecter for the first time. I prefer the way the Criterion transfer looks. YMMV.
    The audio tracks are also very different and not just because one is 2.0 and the other is 5.1.
    Since this is one of my favorite films and the extras on both are great, I'm happy to own both of them. That being said, pick up the MGM and if you really love the film and have a chance to get the Criterion without spending alot, grab it. Just be careful of the many bootlegs that pop up on eBay.
    This question gets asked alot. Someone should add something to the Newbie FAQ about it. I nominate Michael Reuben since he's a big fan of the film too. [​IMG]

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Well, I recently got the Criterion (still sealed!) off eBay (posted scans of the cover and disc and security seal here, all who responded agreed it appeared genuine), but will probably end up getting the SE, too, because I'll probably get the box set with Hanibal (that is the SE in there, right?).

8. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Price that box set carefully. When I saw the box set had come out I figured it was time to pick these two movies up. It was $35. However, I thought to check to see if they had the indivdual movies in stock and check the prices - they were $14.99 each!

-paul

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Count me in as another in the "buy both, if possible" school of thought. I prefer the Criterion transfer also, but the MGM release is great too. If you really don't care about the extras, go with the MGM release...but if you are a fan of this film, then you should at least get the Criterion, if not both.

10. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

I think the MGM disc actually has more deleted scenes than the Criterion, but I'm not positive. I know the cut scenes are of much better quality on the MGM disc. Regardless, if you really just want the movie the MGM disc is definitely the way to go.

11. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

12. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

13. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I got the Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal 2-pack box at Circuit City for $28. Pretty nice deal considering they were priced $19.99 and $22.99 individually.

14. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Yeah... I was scanning the Sunday paper ads and found several places selling the box for $27.99. Doh! Oh well, it was only two bucks diff and I wasn't in the mood to go to different retailers to save a buck or two anyway.

-paul