What's new

Sigur Rós - ( ) (Oct. 29th) (1 Viewer)

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Anyone anticipating this album? I've had it for a little while and got hold of the CD today and I am loving it even more. Seems a bit more accessible than Ágætis Byrjun, and flows a lot better imo. Not sure I would pick it over the later yet but it's a great album.

Looking forward to catching them on tour next month too (got my tickets already!).

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I can not wait for this CD to come out! I've downloaded a couple of the songs (track 6 and 8) from their official website and they are immediately likeable. I can't wait to hear the whole thing going through my HT from beginning to end. Finally having a studio recording of Track 4 will be delicious as well. I've heard it's a bit different from what we heard in "Vanilla Sky" but that the changes have actually garnished an improvement to the song.

I'm looking for tickets to the Los Angeles show right now, but it doesn't look hopeful. Let me know how it turns out!

Pieter

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Pieter, you know they added a second show for LA some time back right? I think they still have tickets for it at ticketmaster (Only Mezz. but hey!). I got tickets for the San Diego show as they were better than the ones I could get for LA when I tried.

Agreen on #6 and 8, in fact I love the second half of the album (not to say the first half is shabby).

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I've had some time to listen to it now and while I do think it is fabulous stuff, nothing is stepping up to challenge the best tracks from Agaetis Byrjun (IMO: Svefn-G-Englar, Vidrar vel til Loftarasa, Avalon, Olsen Olsen). But I'm still going to give it more time. It took a while for me to discover the details in the older tracks that gave them their own personality. Right now it's hard not to think of the whole ( ) disc as one long track. It's not that that's a bad thing, I just don't often listen to an album all the way through. Once I find the details, I will be able to appreciate the music on a track by track basis.

Has anyone been to a live show yet?

Pieter

Luc D

Second Unit
I've been a fan since Agaetis Byrjun and I was fortunate enough to see one of their shows last month. It was easily one of the best concert experiences of my life. The show went on for two hours, uninterrupted, but with no encore. They were accompanied by a quartet of strings and the entire ensemble was note for note perfect. Most impressive of all was the lead singer, whose falsetto voice did not crack once and played his guitar with a bow for most of the songs and really got a hell of a sound out of it. I couldn't tell you (or spell you) the exact set list but they did play the entire ( ) album (which is fantastic by the way) as well as some older stuff from their first album, Von.

My friends and I were completely speechless after the show. I even managed to drag someone who had never heard of them and he's been obsessed with them ever since.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I saw them last friday in Detroit. I like their music but i wouldn't say i'm a huge fan. It was quite an enjoyable show and the sound was wonderful, but I think i was just expecting a little bit more. I think they played a lot of the new songs and some of them didn't build quite as much as i had hoped. I was thinking all of them would sound like the last one they played which was absolutely amazing. It was good all around, but i enjoy mogwai and GYBE! more. Easily worth the ticket price though, and i'll probably still pick up the new disc.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
Aaron,

Just curious as to which Godspeed album you would recommend? I hear the band mentioned a lot whenever Sigur Ros is brought up and want to give them a try. Thanks,

Pieter

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It was announced as a potential SACD release, but I haven't heard anything lately. Maybe if more people buy the CD, they'll fast-track it!

Come on folks... it really is a fantastic album!

David Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard it's coming to either sacd or dvd-a too, but the dates keep changing. This type of music would be great on either hi-rez format, and if mixed right will be a must buy.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I recently purchased ( ) on vinyl, in a lovely 2 LP made in Holland set with great case work.

Played what I think was the first LP, and it sounded great.

Then tried disc 2 and it had a hissing noise embedded in the right channel. Tried everything to fix it, but it was there on both sides of that disc. Returned it, and the store said that they had had another one returned earlier as well with the same reported problem.

I was very bummed, guess I will have to try the CD version sometime.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator

i realize this post is about 9 months late, and perhaps might even deserve it's own thread. however, i'm compelled to mention that gy!be's "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven" is amazing. the soaring highs, the melancholy lows, the incidental vocals really blend into the songs. it's like an expansive and beautiful landscape.

sigur ros are similar to gy!be except that sigur ros have a designated vocalist. most, if not all, of the gy!be vocals come from films or other recordings.

apologies if i've strayed too far off track.

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
is it authorized? gy!be seem to have a distinct disdain for commercial use of their music and they rarely do interviews. danny boyle talked them into using a song (east hastings from f#a# infinity) for 28 days later, but part of the stipulation was that the song would only be in the film and not on the soundtrack.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Good question. Considering how many hits they get, you'd think some attention from the band would come. They do give credit at the end of the episodes to the band, so they aren't trying to hide the fact that they are using their music.

Jason

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i've heard a few songs here and there from these folks. looks like i may have to check out ( ).

question though...how do you pronounce the name of this group?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks