What's new

"Signs": Vista Error? and Glitches? (1 Viewer)

Christopher*KH

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Signs this last Tuesday at Best Buy and I have not opened it yet. With all the BTTF trouble I wonder if I should wait till some more info is given. Is there and real problem with this release or is it just different brand DVD players? Let me know ,thanx Chris

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
I for one am glad they decided to label it as a "Vista Series" title.

This lessens the chance that they'll double dip it later on.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
The layer change is at 1:15:04

The menus act the same exact way as the ones on the Disney movie "Dionosaur" CE set and can hear some hesitation in chapter changes if I run it in reverse but not forward - only the layer change is hesitant in forward.

It took Disney a year to fix the problem with "Dinosaur" and wonder if they used the same technology for this disc? They wouldn't admit it but people thought they were working with some new code encryption that made it harder to copy (rip) the DVD but didn't work across the board on players. The original "Dinosaur" disc was gold and the fixed one was silver.

Ed Jewell

Agent
Speaking of Dinosaur CE.....

Speaking of Dinosaur CE, has anyone returned their defective copy back to Disney yet? I think mine is still sitting on a shelf somewhere. :b

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Still have both copies here. They never asked for the old one back and besides, all they would do is destroy it. I was surprised that they sent the entire package rather than Disc 1 as a replacement since the extras Disc 2 appeared to play fine for everyone?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I just checked the layer change and on my Pioneer 414 it does black out for a split second and then it's ok. It's not that bad compared to Monster's Inc which just totally freezes up. If I have the right scene the layer changes after:

graham tells his daughter that she smiled when she was born...then Merril slams a wood slab over the door (this blacks out the picture anyway)...

The next scene they are walking down the stairs. My player goes to search mode for a sec then plays.

Like I said, not as bad as Monsters but still a strange layer change response. I love my 414 and when I bought it 4 years ago, it was a great player performance wise for little money. But it seems that these Pioneer players don't do well with layer changes.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
The layer change length is not a problem with my player.

The part mentioned earlier is indeed correct. But you forgot to mention the low bass rumble that is taking place during this scene transition.

The split second of silence due to the layer change during this scene is very annoying to me. I'm usually not the pickiest person around when it comes to stuff like this but this one took me out of the movie for a moment.

DavidEC

Stunt Coordinator
?Widescreen miss-frame?

I just got done watching "Signs" and the one questions that I have to ask...

Were not the titles of the "TV NEWS" broadcasts readable in the theater release?

On the DVD these titles are cut off?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Did anyone else catch the digital artifacting? I do not have the exact chapter stop, but I will get it tonight.
It's a shot inside the house at the fire place. As the camera zoom's in closer the red wall on the left was showing some serious blocking.
Peace Out~:D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Good to know, just wanted to make sure it was not just my copy.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am surprised that this thread dropped out of site???? This disc transfer is in the class of a $4. budget bin special.

Besides the bad layer change, slow loading menus, and sometimes noisy chapter changes, there is artifacting FOR DAYS all over this film!

For starters, look at the high compression halo effect on the opening blue screen credits. Then the opening shot is running all over the place like an ant race. Ron-P brought up the scene where the camera pans to the left of the fireplace when they hear the aliens outside. There is major blocking there. It seems that "static" shots as well as dim lighted scenes and large areas of solid colors are horrible.

This was labeled a VISTA SERIES disc and priced accordingly. Aren't they supposed to represent their HIGHEST QUALITY offerings? If so, then there should be ZERO errors on the disc!

I feel cheated! Has anyone pursued BV yet to see if they are going to fix this one?

Dave... are you here?

Steven

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The layer change on mine was flawless, one of the best I've seen. I guess it's when Merrill puts that last board up and the screen goes black, as others ahve said, but I noticed no hesitation at all there.

However, I did notice that at times the picture was a little grainier tan I'm used to with really good DVD's, so that was a bit of a disappointment.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I agree, this movie's transfer was a little on the weak side. It's not bad but it would probably deserve a 7 out of 10 for the transfer alone.
It's just dissapointing that Buena Vista would take the "cheap way out" and not release this movie as a 2 disk set with a DTS track. There is really no excuse other than penny pinching on their part. :frowning: Bummer.
Dan.b

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This is about as bad as it gets. I'd have to say it is the worst transfer in my collection. Shame on BV for putting out such crap on such an excellent film.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Last week I posted:

My Pioneer DV-37 played everything fine until the beginning of chapter 17. I can't get the last two minutes or so before the layer change to play at all. Too much freezing and glitching, until the player gives up and goes on the next layer.

So I figured I'd be able to watch it on my Sony DVPS-3000, a 1st generation player that has flawlessly played every known "problem" disc ever thrown at it. It started locking up at the beginning of the dinner scene in chapter 16, then crashed and had to be unplugged.
Well, I exchanged the disc, and the new one played through perfectly on both machines. The first disc had no visible physical damage, and with so many people reporting layer change problems similar to mine, I can only assume that there is a large batch of Signs discs out there that are defective not in their mastering, but in their manufacturing. My advice to anyone with a defective disc is to exchange it, preferably not at the store you bought it if possible.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread