What's new

"Signs": Vista Error? and Glitches? (1 Viewer)

Andy Kim

Second Unit
They haven't even changed the Vista site ( http://video.go.com/vistaseries/index.html ) which they did the day Pearl Harbor Vista was released.
And the official site ( http://video.go.com/signs/main.html )is still counting down to Jan 7/03 (today) like its still a month away. The countdown as of now is saying 1 month/7days/10hrs to Jan7/03.
Odd. They definitely haven't pushed this Vista release as big as they did with the other titles.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Why call it Vista when it's nothing more than a 1 disc dvd with a few extras. Maybe I was spoiled with Pearl Harbor Vista but I was expecting more for a Vista title.
The extras honestly aren't that different than the Unbreakable Vista. I think most people were spoiled by Pearl Harbor.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Let me try and answer some of the questions presented and asked of me.

First, the player I used was an Apex 1200 series. I know, not the best but good quality for the money and plays almost anything without a hitch... until now.

The confusion over the two different covers was answered in the thread that has the review. The poster was used in early "screener" releases and was changed up the last minute for whatever reason?

I may be wrong but believe the lack of a trailer (I AM an advocate of trailers) may have been decided by Shyamalan? He stated in one of the interviews that he had Disney pull the first trailer because it made a reference to "The Sixth Sense" and he wanted the movie to stand on its own merits. Also referenced to not using Gibson's face on and marketing materials. So who decided the DVD cover? Maybe he felt the same way about the other features but doubt it since the trailer for "Unbreakable" shows up on the European DVD release but not the US version!

Apparently the trailer for "The Sixth Sense" is on the "Vista" version and also hidden on Unbreakable: Insert Disc 2 and watch the credits for "Comic Books And Super Heros". Press Angle Change to watch the trailer from The Sixth Sense.

The Vista series of "Thirteen Days" is a 2-disc set and has a trailer (though pretty well buried in an odd location).

Has anyone spotted the "Unbreakable" trailer on other discs or through an easter egg?

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DVP-7000 and noticed two freeze-up/layer changes(not quite sure what it was, movie continued to play). One was early in the film and was a rather long freeze. The second was later in the film not that bad but noticable. Sorry i dont have exact times and chapters.

Ian

Agent
I have a Sony DVP-7000 and noticed two freeze-up/layer changes(not quite sure what it was, movie continued to play). One was early in the film and was a rather long freeze. The second was later in the film not that bad but noticable. Sorry i dont have exact times and chapters.
I also have a DVP-S7000 and I noticed four layer changes/freezes. The first change/freeze early in the movie was a rather long. The other three were noticeable, but the dvd continued to play.

Ian

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
My Pioneer DV-37 played everything fine until the beginning of chapter 17. I can't get the last two minutes or so before the layer change to play at all. Too much freezing and glitching, until the player gives up and goes on the next layer.
So I figured I'd be able to watch it on my Sony DVPS-3000, a 1st generation player that has flawlessly played every known "problem" disc ever thrown at it. It started locking up at the beginning of the dinner scene in chapter 16, then crashed and had to be unplugged.
Okay Buena Vista, if it were just my DV-37, like it was with Dinosaur, I can almost say it was Pioneer's fault. But two players from two manufacturers made years apart? It's your damn crappy disc, and it's hardly the first one! Does Buena Vista have a QA department?!?
-Lyle J.P.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I find it a little funny seeing all these replies about freezing and pauses while watching signs on their Sony dvd player. I just watched the movie last night on my Xbox and didn't notice a single pause or glitch in the entire movie. In fact, I don't think i've ever seen a "layer transition pause" while watching any movie. How could that be? Is the Xbox that good of a dvd player?

Dan.b

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
No problems here with the movie or the disc with one exception. I also hate the position of the layer change. It ruins the moment pretty badly.

Player: Harmon Kardon DVD 50

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Maybe the xbox is more like a computer DVD rom than a normal DVD player. Don't DVD rom drives usually play through layer changes as if there wasn't one?

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Maybe. My Xbox works just a normal dvd player though and offers all the standard options found on today's dvd players. I am sure though that i've never seen a layer change or anything like it before. Ocassionally i'll hear it make a slight change in sound as if it's slightly altering the laser or something but I see no noticable change of the video feed itself.

Dan.b

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I really don't think this was supposed to be a Vista Series title. They just used it as a last minute marketing gimmic like the "SuperBit" version of Panic Room.

Notice that both titles clearly deviate from the marketed purpose of each special line that Buena Vista and Sony have been trumpeting: higher caliber video and audio than normal (both lines had DTS encoding too) first and foremost, and supplements pushed aside to give breathing room for the movie's video.

Panic Room's disc has plenty of empty space left over that could have been used for a higher bitrate transfer (as Sony says, "double the average bitrate of the normal release;" they didn't do that). SuperBit discs are supposed to contain only one DD and one DTS track of the film's original language, while this "SuperBit" also had a "bandwidth robbing" French DD track.

The Vista Series of Signs was missing the second disc to put all the special features on (to leave more room for the movie) and didn't include a DTS track.

Hmmm...

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks