1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Signs review up at DVDfile

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KennethHiland, Dec 18, 2002.

1. KennethHiland

Peter does not seem to be a big M.Night Shyamalar fan [​IMG] (I can't believe he found the Sixth Sense to be mediocre and dull...)

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Now, not having gone myself (obviously) I don't know if this is true or not but this has been reported on the UK based DVDForums message board:

3. KennethHiland

James. Norwegian R2 of the Others has the DTS track. It was even given away free with the December edition of the Norwegian DVD mag Eyefi Anamorphic with full bitrate DTS. Same extras as region 1.
    Norwegian Black Hawk Down R2 has DTS also
    Crossing my fingers then that Signs get the same treatment [​IMG]
    K

4. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Was the Norwegian release through Buena Vista or Universal?
    The French release Here includes both a DTS (French) soundtrack plus the promised commentary track. But it was released by Universal, not Buena Vista.
    Incidently, look at the soundtracks on that French disc:
    * French DTS
    * French DD 5.1
    * English DD 5.1
    * Commentary
    I don't know if the picture suffers due to the additional DTS and DD 5.1 and (presumably for the commentary) DD 2.0 soundtracks - but I'm sure Beuna Vista could have squeezed an English DTS track on the UK release, being as the only soundtrack included on the final disc was DD 5.1 English with no supplements (which were all on the second disc).

5. KennethHiland

James, I am not sure. Mine is still in Norway waiting for my mom to send it over [​IMG] But the original release in Norway was by a company called Scanbox (Scandinavian Film Distributor)
    Our version had following specs
    1 Disc
    English Dolby Digital 5.1
    English DTS 5.1
    English MPEG 2.0 (Surround)
    Two featurettes: Inside The Others and Behind the scenes
    Visual effects
    Interview with Alejandro Amenabar
    Special feature on Xeroderma Pigmentosum
    Still gallery
    Theatrical trailer
    K

6. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

Signs is going to receive a DTS treatment in Region 02 with various countries supporting this.
    In my country , Holland , it will feature dts but I won't be released untill at least March/April but in Japan Signs also will feature a DTS track which is coming out in January/Febuary.

James, Buena Vista International is going to support DTS more in region 02 with future releases like Signs.
    Believe me when I say there are some nice releases coming from Buena Vista with DTS next year.

Greetz,

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I noticed Peter talked about edge enhancement on this DVD. If this is true, what is it with Buena Vista and edge enhancement? They seem to be more guilty with it than any other studio.

8. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Is it just me or does it seem that this movie is being released on DVD a bit later than most movies?

9. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

10. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

Something tells me that this isn't going to be the only DVD release of "Signs" in the long-run. Now, this is just pure speculation on my part, but Shyamalan's last two films have gotten a real deluxe treatment on DVD. Say what you will about the (lack of) extras on the 2-disc "Unbreakable", but everything on that set looked great.
    What I'm referring to is the passage in Mr. Bracke's review where he makes reference (I'm paraphrasing) to the deleted scenes being of a lower quality. Anybody who has seen the deleted scenes on either "The Sixth Sense" or "Unbreakable" can tell you that those were fully produced scenes. For M. Night to break that trend with this disc, as well as the absence of the DTS track, makes me think that there is something fishy going on.
    And in reference to Rob saying that it seems like it didn't come out as quickly as other films have on DVD, I was actually just thinking that it was coming out quicker than usual; another reason why I think there might be another "Signs" DVD somewhere down the road. Of course, like I said, this is all speculation and I could be (probably am) wrong. [​IMG]

11. KennethHiland

Julian

12. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Just picked up my Signs today. It comes in a Vista Series packaging if that makes a difference.

Kevin