1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Signature 2.0 pre/pro noise floor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Parnell, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Matt Parnell

Matt Parnell Agent

I've noticed a bit of hiss with my new HK Signature 2.0 preamp/processor. It's slightly noticable at a 5 ft listening distance. I took out the trusty SPL meter, and at a distance of about 0.5" from the tweeter of a Paradigm Monitor 9 I get about 52 dB (the meter only goes down to 50). This remains consistant over a wide volume range, no matter what input is selected. It's hooked up to a Sig 2.1 amp, which is NOT contributing to the noise.

EDIT - I should add that I'm using the latest software, 2.10a. The unit is (temporarily) plugged directly into the wall until I get a good power conditioner.

Is this normal, in particular for this preamp?

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I use the unit strictly for HT use and although I do hear hiss when very close to the speaker, I don't hear any hiss at that distance. One thing you may want to check is the analog input levels of the unit. If they are set too high especially when you are using an analog source, you will hear more hiss than you should be hearing.

3. Jeff_M

Jeff_M Stunt Coordinator

I owned this pre/pro for about 2 days, and nothing I tried could get rid of the hiss that you described. If you check out audioreview.com, you will see that many other owners of this unit battled with the same problem. I got rid of mine, but hopefully things will work out better for you.

4. Matt Parnell

Matt Parnell Agent

I don't see myself getting rid of it, but perhaps it's just a problem w/ the unit being defective, and I want to exchange it if so.
    Besides this hiss, this unit is stunning. While my previous HK AVR5 seemed to have a lower noise floor, it didn't even come close to the sound quality I'm getting out of my new setup. It's absolutely amazing. Plus you can't beat the blue VFD display [​IMG]

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Nada on the hiss with mine. Like Martice, I only hear a very slight hiss right up next to a speaker.

6. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I owned one of the early Sig 2.0 units, without DTS decoding. Like most prepros there was a trace of hiss right next to the tweeter, but nothing audible in the room. I was quite happy with mine.

7. Dan HH

Dan HH Auditioning

I also own a Signature 2.0 (version 2.10a) and noticed a slight hiss when within a foot or two of my speakers. I reduced the gain on my amp which eliminated most of the hiss. I couldn't hear anything from my listening position anyway.

I have a question for you other signature 2.0 owners though. I just got a new digital cable box which outputs dolby digital. When the program is in dolby digital 5.1 (such as some HBO movies) everything works as expected.

However, when the program is in dolby digital 2.0 (as most are) I only get sound from my front L and R speakers. The signature 2.0 will not let me engage prologic mode when receiving a dolby digital 2.0 signal. I confirmed that this is not only the case with the cable box but also from my DVD player when using the DD 2.0 tracks of various DVD's (such as Star Wars episode I).

Its not really that big a deal (I can still get prologic using the analog inputs) but I was wondering if anyone else can check and see what happens with their unit. The manual indicates that prologic should automatically be applied to dd 2.0 signals where appropriate. Plus, if I press the "stereo" button on the remote while decoding a dd 2.0 signal, I can make the display read "dd prologic" but the sound does not change. Just wondering if I have a defective unit.

Thanks.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A lot of times DD 2.0 has an internal flag that tells the processor to decode ProLogic. It sounds to me like the Signature 2.0 is not correctly reading that flag. Using the analog should be fine though.