Signal Strength Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damon Neth, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Damon Neth

Damon Neth Auditioning

I just upgraded to a whole house DSS system (4 rooms, one with a dual tuner TiVo). I am seeing something a little strange. On my three Sony B55 tuners, I see a signal strength of 91. On my Phillips DSR-6000 TiVo, I see a signal strength of 83 on both feeds. The TiVo has the shortest lines from the dish, and I terminated all of the cables myself, so I assume that everything is "OK", or at least consistent in the connections. Also, I replaced a really old single LNB RCA dish and box with this new setup. The old dish/box gave me pretty consistent readings in the 92-93 range.

The new dish is an 18 round, dual LNB RCA dish, and I am using Direct TV service. The dish feeds a 3x8 amplified multi-switch. I'm guessing that the differences I'm seeing are simply due to meters that are calibrated differently between the boxes.

One more question, I see posts from people indicating that they have signal strengths above 100. How does one obtain a signal strength that high? I live in Massachusetts, and have a very clear line of sight to the dish (well over trees, etc).

Thanks for the help!

2. John Schmiedt

Damon,

RCA, Sony, Hughes, Philips, etc. will all give you differeing signal strengths depending on how they implement the numbers. It's not really meaningful to compare one to another. Just as long as you're getting above 70 or so, depending on where you live, you'll be OK. In the NE like you & I are, I think in the 80s, 90s is more normal. I used to get 90s on my old RCA. On my new Sony I got in the 80s mostly using the same dish. Now when I went to an oval 24 inch dish and it dropped a bit more since it's trying to cover 3 sat locations.

Anyone claiming above 100 is mistaken.

John