signal strengh/splitting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I only get OTA right now with no dish/cable in sight and have a question. The previous owners were also OTA people and there is a fair size antenna on the roof which is hooked up to the 40H80 right now. The two other sets in the house each have their own antenna. I would like to put them all on the big one because its the best but don't want to lose signal strengh. My question is: if I split the coax into two and one of them into two again, making three, will the two others drain signal strength when they are not on? Or is the act of splitting it all that is required to degrade the image?
    jeremy

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

3. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Phil gave you a good answer. I'll also add to it. I use an RS 4-way splitter and before that I used a 2-way splitter. The 4-way has -7.5db written next to the splits and the 2-way had -3.5db. This indicates how much the split signal is attenuated. -7.5 might be a problem is you had a low signal strength.
    To follow your example using 2 2-ways to create 3 signals would give 3 signal strengths of -3.5db, -7db and -7db.