Signal ground on rear of recever???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Tilley, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if this is an actual ground or is this some type of way to isolate noise to the recever?

What I have is the Sony STR-DA5ES the singnal ground is on the rear pannel and I cannot find any info in the owners manul about what it is used for.I was wondering if it is a actual ground since the power cord dose not have a ground on it,and also would there be any advantage to hooking this to a ground on my power center if thats what it is intended for.

Thanks for any help.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm certainly no expert, but I read a post on another forum that stated if you were to ground all of your components (to a good ground point on the chassis) directly to a known good earth ground, that you could achieve a lower noise floor and/or picture. I could see this being more useful if you actually have unstable or unclean power, however if you do not have A/C noise, it would probably not make a huge difference.

3. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

I believe the ground terminal is supposed to be used when you hook up a turntable to the recevier (using the phono input). The manual for my Onkyo receiver states:

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Thanks guys,I dont have any noise problems or a turntable so I think I will just leave it unhooked. Its just one of those things that drove me nuts wondering what it was for.[​IMG] Thanks again