What's new

signal glitch with Sony receiver? (1 Viewer)

Justin_Ha

Auditioning
Hi everyone,

I just recently replaced a 10-year old Sony Pro Logic II receiver with a brand new Sony STRDE898/B 7.1 receiver, and have been very happy overall with its performance (good bang the buck), but it appears to have a strange glitch when using it to connect my sound system to my first generation Sony PS2 (set as video 2 input). Certain games appear to utilize "fast cuts" between scenes (a quick flash of white accompanied by a high pitched noise). When one of these fast cuts occurs, the signal from the PS2 cuts out and I see a fraction of a second of whatever tv show is currently on. I never had this sort of problem with my older receiver, and I've checked all my connections several times. Is this a receiver problem, or something else? Scientific method suggests that the culprit is the receiver, since that’s the only thing I have changed, but can you suggest anything I could do to fix/minimize the problem?

Thanks for any help,
Justin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It sure sounds like a problem with the reciever. Sounds like the video switching is not working right. Sony receivers don't usually come too highly recommended.

dennyKyser

Auditioning
I have the same reciever and am very happy with it. I dont see many people say positive things about these recievers, but for the price had to give it a try.

I also havent heard of anyone that has this reciever say anything bad.

Justin_Ha

Auditioning
Thanks for the input everyone. I suspect I may have gotten a lemon in this case, since Denny's works ok. I also did some extensive testing last night with different tv's, cables, receivers, etc. It's the Sony receiver.

I agree that Sony receivers aren't typically top of the line, but if it didn't have this glitch, it would meet my needs pretty well.

Bottom line: it's getting returned.

thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks