signal glitch with Sony receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Justin_Ha, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Justin_Ha

Justin_Ha Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I just recently replaced a 10-year old Sony Pro Logic II receiver with a brand new Sony STRDE898/B 7.1 receiver, and have been very happy overall with its performance (good bang the buck), but it appears to have a strange glitch when using it to connect my sound system to my first generation Sony PS2 (set as video 2 input). Certain games appear to utilize "fast cuts" between scenes (a quick flash of white accompanied by a high pitched noise). When one of these fast cuts occurs, the signal from the PS2 cuts out and I see a fraction of a second of whatever tv show is currently on. I never had this sort of problem with my older receiver, and I've checked all my connections several times. Is this a receiver problem, or something else? Scientific method suggests that the culprit is the receiver, since that’s the only thing I have changed, but can you suggest anything I could do to fix/minimize the problem?

Thanks for any help,
    Justin

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It sure sounds like a problem with the reciever. Sounds like the video switching is not working right. Sony receivers don't usually come too highly recommended.

3. dennyKyser

dennyKyser Auditioning

I have the same reciever and am very happy with it. I dont see many people say positive things about these recievers, but for the price had to give it a try.

I also havent heard of anyone that has this reciever say anything bad.

4. Justin_Ha

Justin_Ha Auditioning

Thanks for the input everyone. I suspect I may have gotten a lemon in this case, since Denny's works ok. I also did some extensive testing last night with different tv's, cables, receivers, etc. It's the Sony receiver.

I agree that Sony receivers aren't typically top of the line, but if it didn't have this glitch, it would meet my needs pretty well.

Bottom line: it's getting returned.

thanks again