Signal degredation with audio cable?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

Ok, so here's my dilemma. I bought 3 y adapters(no cable to it just an adapeter that converts 3.5mm to 2 female RCA. So I can hook my computer sound card up to my computer via 5.1 connections(I want positional audio) but theses connectors are too large and can't be placed in spots right next to eachother. So my question is what should I do? I got these connectors because they didn't have any 50 ohm cable in them and I am using 2 component cables to hook this up. if I was to replace them with 3 y adapters that have cable to them and then connected my component cables to that would I be losing anything? Or should I only replace the middle adapter with something with a smaller adapter to it so the other could fit? if this was confusing I will try to clarify

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

See if you can find a 3.5 mm stereo extension cable (male at one end, female at the other) for one or more of the jacks. Plug the Y adapter into the extension cable. Hopefully the (male) plug is skinnier so as to fit the space provided.

There is always the chance of degradation when using Y connectors. This is due to interaction between the components at the three ends, not due to the adapter or cables.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm