What's new

Sign the petition to keep the original theatrical version of "Clerks" on the new DVD (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Sign the following petition to persuade View Askew Productions to include the original theatrical cut of "Clerks" that we all know and love on the upcoming "Clerks 9th Anniversary Edition" DVD that will feature a new "Director's Cut"
The Petition

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I didn't even realize there was a Director's Cut. Anyone know the differences...?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
:rolleyes
First, why can't we let VA (I really should check what I'm typing...) decide the best thing to do and second, isn't this DVD supposed to come out in 2004?

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Would you mind posting a link to these tentative plans to have only the director's cut included on the anniversary edition. Until that point this petition smells funny.

Thanks

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The "director's cut" hasn't been edited yet, but it's the only version of the movie that's been mentioned for inclusion in the new version of the DVD. Whenever a new version of a movie is created, the original version that everyone is familiar with should always be made available, at least, and the best-case scenario is to include both versions.

First, why can't we let VW decide the best thing to do and second, isn't this DVD supposed to come out in 2004?
I don't think Volkswagon has anything to do with "Clerks", and I don't believe the idea to include both versions has been brought up to anyone involved with the production of the 9th Anniversary Edition. That's all I'm doing. I'm not battling a decision that's already been made, I'm trying to influence a decision that *could* be made, a decision that would make the difference between an all-encompassing edition and a disappointing DVD release. If View Askew Productions *doesn't* think that both versions should be released, that's their decision, but I'm trying to prove that there's a demand for the inclusion of both versions. And yes, the DVD is planned for 2003, and the "9th Anniversary" of the film isn't significant in any way.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree with the others...can you provide us with release info regarding the rumored Director's Cut?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to a News Askew (an official View Askew website) news archive search for "Clerks Anniversary DVD" that offers some info on the disc. If the link doesn't work, just go to newsaskew.com and search for "Clerks Anniversary DVD" All the news items list it as a "10th Anniversary" release, but it's been said on the View Askew WWWboard (yet another official View Askew website) that it's now a 9th Anniversary release. Here's a link of a View Askew WWWboard search that gives some informative results, including one from View Askew Historian Vincent Pereira himself that confirms that it'll be a 9th Anniversary release. Like I've said before, there issue of the original cut simply hasn't been dealt with before, that's what I'm trying to do with my petition.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
What we want to know is where did you come up with the idea that there would be a director's cut.

You haven't given any information that would back that.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If you look above you'll see that I linked to two official sites with information that confirms the "Director's Cut".

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Bill, have you even seen the "new cut" of Clerks that hasn't even been edited yet? For all you know it could be better than the theatrical cut and you'd always end up watching the "new cut" compared to the original theatrical cut.
Starting a petition on something you rarely know anything about is a bad idea.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Nobody's seen the new cut because it doesn't exist yet. I imagine the new cut will probably be better than the original, but just like "ET", "Apocalypse Now", "The Star Wars Trilogy", "Blade Runner", "Army Of Darkness" "Almost Famous", "The Godfather", "The Exorcist" and a whole slew of other movies with various different versions, I believe the original version should always be made available (which "Clerks" is, admittedly, in the original disappointing DVD release) or in the best-case scenario, actually included alongside the new version. Regardless of which version *I* think is better (when I actually see the new version) there are going to be people who prefer the other version. That's why both should be included. I see countless posts in this forum that support the release of original theatrical versions, yet I post one and everyone jumps on my case. As for the bad links, I figured they wouldn't work, so I'll cut & paste the text alongside a link to the search engines I used and the search words used:
The following message was found by using the search field on the main page of newsaskew.com. News Askew took the quote from a message that Kevin Smith himself posted on the View Askew WWWboard. There are many other similar posts, but this one came straight from Kevin. The search was for clerks anniversary dvd:
The new CLERKS 9TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION DVD will likely be transfered either from the original 16mm black-and-white negatives or the 16mm black-and-white IP, which should result in a finer-grained image than the current DVD.
So, in closing, I don't know which version of the movie will be better. Nobody does. All I know is that both versions of the movie should be included. The trend of trying to erase the existance of original versions is horrible and I'd like to influence View Askew Productions *NOT* to try to cover up the original version of "Clerks" before it's too late. I'm not chastising View Askew Productions for not including the theatrical cut, because the possibility of including both has literally not been brought up at all. I'm not in opposition of any decision that's been made, I'm trying to bring up a new idea. I hope that a lot of people will sign my petition so that the producers of the disc will realize that there's still demand for the original version. The DVD is in the very early stages of development, and if I were to wait for an official press release to surface, it would most likely be too late to include the theatrical cut. If you read my original petition, you'll see that there's not a shred of hostility. The simple fact of the matter is this: my intentions in creating this petition were to do no more than alert View Askew Productions to the demand for the inclusion of both versions.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Errr...the original version of Clerks has been and will continue to be available to whomever would like to purchase it. I'm sure the "Director's Cut" notice will be plastered on the packaging of the new edition.

What exactly is the issue here? Most anyone who buys Clerks: TDC will have already bought the current version. (After all this time, I find it difficult to believe anyone has been waiting for this unforseen super-duper edition to be released.)

Is anyone signing this petition not in possession of the current edit? I fail to see what the problem is. If shelf space is at a premium, go buy a triple-decker DVD case and slip all three discs inside, along with the outer sleeve. Problem solved.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
There are many people who are holding off on buying "Clerks" until the new edition is released, and I'm sure the vast majority of people who already own the existing disc (like me) would like to unload it. Everyone's reacting like I've been ranking their mothers or something, yet I haven't seen one person give a good reason why both versions *shouldn't* be included. I don't know why everyone is against this when it's so obviously integral to whether or not the new version is a fitting Anniversary edition. Also, while the new DVD release wouldn't physically eradicate the previous edition from existence, it's very likely that the old version would be put out-of-print like the majority of other DVD's when a "better" version is released. It's entirely possible (although unlikely) that somebody may not be able to find the theatrical cut somewhere down the road. There's really no reason *NOT* to include it.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I have to say that I completely agree with Ric, there is NO real reason for a petition here.
Bill, the problem you have is that the original version is available on dvd, and contrary to what you may think, the disc is pretty damn good. Not to mention that it can be picked up for under $15.
-Chad

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
OK, let's forget the fact that the theatrical cut is available on it's own DVD. On a purely specific basis, wouldn't a "Clerks" DVD that contains two cuts of the film be better than a "Clerks" DVD that only contains one cut of the film? I didn't see anybody bitching about the inclusion of the theatrical cut on "T2: The Ultimate Edition DVD". The theatrical cut was previously available from Image, yet everyone praises "T2:UE" to high heaven. Most people don't want to own two versions of a DVD if they can own one. It's that simple. The fact of the matter is this: if a movie is re-released on DVD, you *should* be able to get rid of your old version (although that's rarely the case). A bunch of people bought the original "Dogma" DVD, yet it still would have been ridiculous to take the actual film off of the "Special Edition" DVD. If a new version of a movie is released, it should have everything on the previous release. And as I've said before, the theatrical cut should be represented.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
On a purely specific basis, wouldn't a "Clerks" DVD that contains two cuts of the film be better than a "Clerks" DVD that only contains one cut of the film?
Depends on what Kevin Smith thinks. It's his film, he can do whatever he damn well pleases. If you don't agree with his thoughts that the upcoming DVD should have only the director's cut than too bad.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If you don't agree with his thoughts that the upcoming DVD should have only the director's cut than too bad.
He never said that he only wanted the director's cut on the DVD. For the record, the director's cut is the only version that's been mentioned as being included on the very tentative upcoming release. My petition is merely a SUGGESTION to include the original cut in ADDITION to the director's cut. As I said before, I'm not disagreeing with any decision that's been made. I'm merely suggesting that an ADDITION be made to the TENTATIVE plans for the upcoming DVD. I don't "agree with his thoughts that the upcoming DVD should have only the director's cut" nor do I disagree with them. He simply hasn't stated his opinion on the matter because IT HASN'T BEEN BROUGHT UP. That's what I'm doing. I'm bringing a suggestion to light. As it stands right now, there's no evidence whatsoever that Kevin Smith has any desire to suppress the original theatrical cut of "Clerks". There's also no evidence that he plans to include it in the 9th Anniversary DVD, either. If he doesn't want to suppress the original version yet no mention has been made of a that particular version's inclusion on the upcoming re-release, what possible problem is there with me SUGGESTING that they both be included? I just wish someone would humor me and give me some reason why they both SHOULDN'T be included. If Kevin Smith himself says that the original cut of the movie is dead to him, which I guarantee he won't due to the fact that it's the movie that put him on the map and he's very, very conscious of his roots, I'd glady admit that it shouldn't be included on the DVD. Kevin Smith has never had any major problems with the theatrical cut, and I'm sure at the very least he'd be open to the consideration of including it. I can't stress enough that this isn't a case of him suppressing the original cut. I'm not disagreeing with ANY statement that's been made by the filmmaker. My petition is a SUGGESTION for a more COMPLETE edition of "Clerks" on DVD. I fail to see the logic of any opposition whatsoever to this proposal, as it's beneficial to all parties involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks