Sign the petition to keep the original theatrical version of "Clerks" on the new DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill GrandPre, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Sign the following petition to persuade View Askew Productions to include the original theatrical cut of "Clerks" that we all know and love on the upcoming "Clerks 9th Anniversary Edition" DVD that will feature a new "Director's Cut"
    The Petition

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I didn't even realize there was a Director's Cut. Anyone know the differences...?

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    [​IMG]
    First, why can't we let VA (I really should check what I'm typing...) decide the best thing to do and second, isn't this DVD supposed to come out in 2004?

4. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Would you mind posting a link to these tentative plans to have only the director's cut included on the anniversary edition. Until that point this petition smells funny.

Thanks

5. Bill GrandPre

The "director's cut" hasn't been edited yet, but it's the only version of the movie that's been mentioned for inclusion in the new version of the DVD. Whenever a new version of a movie is created, the original version that everyone is familiar with should always be made available, at least, and the best-case scenario is to include both versions.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I agree with the others...can you provide us with release info regarding the rumored Director's Cut?

7. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

8. Bill GrandPre

Here's a link to a News Askew (an official View Askew website) news archive search for "Clerks Anniversary DVD" that offers some info on the disc. If the link doesn't work, just go to newsaskew.com and search for "Clerks Anniversary DVD" All the news items list it as a "10th Anniversary" release, but it's been said on the View Askew WWWboard (yet another official View Askew website) that it's now a 9th Anniversary release. Here's a link of a View Askew WWWboard search that gives some informative results, including one from View Askew Historian Vincent Pereira himself that confirms that it'll be a 9th Anniversary release. Like I've said before, there issue of the original cut simply hasn't been dealt with before, that's what I'm trying to do with my petition.

9. Chad Gregory

What we want to know is where did you come up with the idea that there would be a director's cut.

You haven't given any information that would back that.

10. Bill GrandPre

If you look above you'll see that I linked to two official sites with information that confirms the "Director's Cut".

11. Chad Gregory

Those links go nowhere.

Maybe you should just cut and paste the info.

12. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Bill, have you even seen the "new cut" of Clerks that hasn't even been edited yet? For all you know it could be better than the theatrical cut and you'd always end up watching the "new cut" compared to the original theatrical cut.
    Starting a petition on something you rarely know anything about is a bad idea.

13. Bill GrandPre

Nobody's seen the new cut because it doesn't exist yet. I imagine the new cut will probably be better than the original, but just like "ET", "Apocalypse Now", "The Star Wars Trilogy", "Blade Runner", "Army Of Darkness" "Almost Famous", "The Godfather", "The Exorcist" and a whole slew of other movies with various different versions, I believe the original version should always be made available (which "Clerks" is, admittedly, in the original disappointing DVD release) or in the best-case scenario, actually included alongside the new version. Regardless of which version *I* think is better (when I actually see the new version) there are going to be people who prefer the other version. That's why both should be included. I see countless posts in this forum that support the release of original theatrical versions, yet I post one and everyone jumps on my case. As for the bad links, I figured they wouldn't work, so I'll cut & paste the text alongside a link to the search engines I used and the search words used:
    The following message was found by using the search field on the main page of newsaskew.com. News Askew took the quote from a message that Kevin Smith himself posted on the View Askew WWWboard. There are many other similar posts, but this one came straight from Kevin. The search was for clerks anniversary dvd:

14. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

Errr...the original version of Clerks has been and will continue to be available to whomever would like to purchase it. I'm sure the "Director's Cut" notice will be plastered on the packaging of the new edition.

What exactly is the issue here? Most anyone who buys Clerks: TDC will have already bought the current version. (After all this time, I find it difficult to believe anyone has been waiting for this unforseen super-duper edition to be released.)

Is anyone signing this petition not in possession of the current edit? I fail to see what the problem is. If shelf space is at a premium, go buy a triple-decker DVD case and slip all three discs inside, along with the outer sleeve. Problem solved.

15. Bill GrandPre

There are many people who are holding off on buying "Clerks" until the new edition is released, and I'm sure the vast majority of people who already own the existing disc (like me) would like to unload it. Everyone's reacting like I've been ranking their mothers or something, yet I haven't seen one person give a good reason why both versions *shouldn't* be included. I don't know why everyone is against this when it's so obviously integral to whether or not the new version is a fitting Anniversary edition. Also, while the new DVD release wouldn't physically eradicate the previous edition from existence, it's very likely that the old version would be put out-of-print like the majority of other DVD's when a "better" version is released. It's entirely possible (although unlikely) that somebody may not be able to find the theatrical cut somewhere down the road. There's really no reason *NOT* to include it.

16. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

This is how petitions for real issues lose their validity.

17. Chad Gregory

I have to say that I completely agree with Ric, there is NO real reason for a petition here.
    Bill, the problem you have is that the original version is available on dvd, and contrary to what you may think, the disc is pretty damn good. Not to mention that it can be picked up for under $15.
    -Chad

18. Bill GrandPre

OK, let's forget the fact that the theatrical cut is available on it's own DVD. On a purely specific basis, wouldn't a "Clerks" DVD that contains two cuts of the film be better than a "Clerks" DVD that only contains one cut of the film? I didn't see anybody bitching about the inclusion of the theatrical cut on "T2: The Ultimate Edition DVD". The theatrical cut was previously available from Image, yet everyone praises "T2:UE" to high heaven. Most people don't want to own two versions of a DVD if they can own one. It's that simple. The fact of the matter is this: if a movie is re-released on DVD, you *should* be able to get rid of your old version (although that's rarely the case). A bunch of people bought the original "Dogma" DVD, yet it still would have been ridiculous to take the actual film off of the "Special Edition" DVD. If a new version of a movie is released, it should have everything on the previous release. And as I've said before, the theatrical cut should be represented.

19. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

20. Bill GrandPre