What's new

SIGN THE PETITION: More full frame films being released by Columbia!!! (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Petition signed! I'm very disappointed in Columbia. I used to appreciate them as they did release Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould, one of my favorite films. Now, I don't know...

Will K

Screenwriter
Signed petition.
Until Columbia comes to their senses, I refuse to purchase any of their DVD's or buy tickets to any of their films. NONE. ZERO. ZIP. I just cancelled any pre-orders I had. I'm dead serious.
This company used to be so good about OAR. What is going on?

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Whatever happened to choice? At least MGM, when they started on similar grounds, said that their discs would have P&S and Widescreen on them. I just checked Bite the Bullet from Columbia and it SAYS that it has P&S and Widescreen. I'm gonna be mucho pissed if it comes P&S ONLY since it's 2.35:1. They should send me a free copy since I had 2 copies of Bite the Bullet on LD and they both rotted ;). I'll give em a bullet to bite if they continue this trend :angry: (jus kiddin, you're not gonna see me on the news at Columbia headquarters).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have a friend who works at Sony. I cann't reveal this person's name.. please do not ask.

This is what my friend said:

I agree with everyone who posted, especially when it comes to 84 Charing

Cross Road. I wish I were the one making the decisions and I wish the

decision wasn't based on the almighty dollar, but in reality, it is. We

see this as art, they see it as business. It may be the public who buys

the end product, but it is the Walmarts, Kmarts, Best Buys and

Blockbusters who buy from the studios. Is full screen what the majority

of the public want in these stores? Are the Walmarts of this world

wrong about what will sell in their stores? As long as there is a

majority of uneducated public on this subject, they will keep asking for

full screen. Maybe we wide screen advocates need to educate the Joe six

packs and tell these stores what we want?

Thanks for forwarding this. When I see trends like this, it makes me

sad no matter which studio is doing it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So Jacob, is your friend saying that widescreen is officially over at Columbia and that 4x3 has won?

Is this what's going to happen on all of their future releases?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I hope not.. I have no idea. it could be that they switch some personal around and the person in charge is deciding do this..

JACOB

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I signed #52, and someone at work signed #155...

The title I was interested in was 2001: A space travesty, I didn't bother with it in the theaters because of bad reviews but I wanted to rent it.

I saw the previews of Stuart Little 2 before Ice Age yesterday and it reminded me too, that this sucks (P&S)

NO OAR = NO SALE

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Again, what's wrong with BOTH formats??? I've bought several Columbia discs at Wal-Mart that had BOTH formats on them. If people who want pan and scan are too stupid to even know how to turn the disc over, they should stick with VHS!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
:laugh:
I've said it before, but it bears repeating. Does Columbia really think Joe Six Pack is going to be picking up 84 Charing Cross Road at Walmart or anywhere else. Not a chance in hell. Columbia has severely compromised any hope they may have had of making money on this title. Joe Six Pack doesn't want it, guys. :rolleyes

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Some titles that I haven't bought because they're not in OAR:
  • ¡Three Amigos! (Just found out this IS in OAR. yey!)
  • Spies Like Us
  • Babe
  • A Christmas Story
I hope if Warner ever decides to release 'Strange Brew' (another "Flat Comedy"), it will be in its OAR.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Gui,

You'll be happy to know that "Three Amigos!" is presented on DVD in its OAR of 1.85:1 (but it is a non-anamorphic transfer, unfortunately).

I do believe that the DVD is at least partially mis-framed. Take a look at all the headroom, particularly in the first half of the film. It looks to me like the top half of an open matte transfer was used! Again, I'm not sure if this is the case, it just looks that way to me. I've asked around but no one has ever confirmed or denied it with certainty. Anyone?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
John St is right about Three Amigos; it's widescreen but looks misframed in places.

I hesitated to buy it because it simply has NO info about the AR anywhere on the package. Nada; zip. Doesn't say one way or the other!

When I read on HTF that it was widescreen, I nabbed it. Only to see the misframed sceens. Well, they look it to MY untrained eye, anyway.

Maybe it's supposed to be like that?...

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Three Amigos! is widescreen?
GOOD! :D
I saw it on sale at Futureshop last tuesday, but when I checked their website, it said 1.33 full frame.
I'll pick it up on tuesday.
Thanks!

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
John St is right about Three Amigos; it's widescreen but looks misframed in places.
Well this is maybe a "open matt" print they just did a fast matt for 1.85:1. This is why I think open matt movies can be 1.33:1 on dvd. Rather that or stuff is missing in the picture (like the new Evil dead).

I'm also afaid of the problem with changing movies from their original 1.33:1-1.75:1 to 1.85:1, just to please the HT people.

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for starting the petition Rain. Hopefully it'll grow in size at least ten-fold... I hope...

Another non-OAR title that I would have bought had it been shown due respect is Warner's "My Fellow Americans."

Dave

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I just signed as #403! And where the hell is Karate Kid in anamorphic widescreen, huh Columbia? I've been waiting patiently for them to remaster this worthless pan & scan release for years now! Instead, they waste their time remastering "The Replacement Killers" which is already anamorphic widescreen. These studios need to hire people with brains to run their home video departments.:angry:

ChrisA

Second Unit
[rant]NO OAR = NO SALE NO RENTAL. Actually any widescreen movie 1.66 or greater that is not anamorphically enhanced MEANS NO RENTAL OR NO SALE! By the way Someone signed in #413 that might have an answer that could have contributed to the recent decision to crop DVD's[/rant]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks