What's new

Sign petition to get GTA3 on GameCube! (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
How much space is GTA3 taking up on a DVD? And how much of that could be cut down by using Nintendo's compression scheme's for the Cube?
GTA3 is constantly streaming music & data off the DVD... There is a *ton* of music in the game.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I'd rather not derail the thread completely, but what is the music like? The original GTA's music was so fun I acutally used it as an audio CD for a while.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather not derail the thread completely, but what is the music like? The original GTA's music was so fun I acutally used it as an audio CD for a while.
It's excellent. Huge variety of styles, some great comedy style tracks, great chatshow station, great use of licenced tracks too - like a bunch of classical music from Scarface.
I still listen to the GTA soundtrack - got it sitting on my HD right now :)

James D S

Screenwriter
I guess I will humbly return to lurker status.
Don't you dare.

I just put that put out there because I see so much of it on forums. A lot of people's first reactions to vague posts is one of defense and then aggression. Indeed, you can see the same behavior exhibited outside these forums in everday life.

But, if you hang around here enough you learn who are the asses and who are not.

Brian would be one of the "nots" so give him the benefit of the doubt.

Welcome back to the forum, John. It'll be fun.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I mentioned this in another thread, but it might be worth posting here as well. The announcement for GTA3 for the Xbox was way back in February, and they've said nothing since. What's going on here?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Well, just the other day I was reading the Warren Ellis forum on Delphi and comics artist Brian Wood, who apparently did some design work on GTA3, said directly that an Xbox version was coming although he didn't give any details. I don't know why an offical announcement hasn't been made but I don't see any reason right now to think that it's not coming (if it's not then I'll have to pick up a PS2 sooner than later :))

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I dont think your gonna hear anything about the X-box of PC version until after the new year. With the holidays coming up I'm sure they want to maximize the amount of money they can make from the PS2 version and would prefer to keep the other quiet. That is just a hunch though and we will just have to take a wait and see attitude until we get more info.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
For the GameCube version, they could just include mutliple discs, plus if they recode the whole thing, they might be able to save space.

That is, if they made a GCN version.

My opinion is that if a game is on all 3 consoles, it just lowers your reasons for buying a console to what does it do besides games and for how much. If every game was available on each platform, then it would ruin the point of buying one over another. The X-Box and PS2 would be pointless because of their prices. Granted, they have stuff the GameCube can't do, but if you're getting the same games, who cares?

This game is obviously adult themed. They should keep it on the consoles that are aimed at adults specifically.

If you don't want to have to buy an X-Box or PS2 to play the game, then you're out of luck, and I think they should keep it that way. Its healthy competition.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have to agree with that Morgan.
Every title out shouldn't be on all systems. Exclusives are a good thing. Although, GTA3 is hardly an exclusive.
If I wanted to play a Mario game (*ugh!*), I'd have to buy a Nintendo product. If you wanna play Halo, you should have to buy an XBox. (pc not included since we're talking consoles)
I realize Nintendo is trying to distance themselves from the kiddie image which is pretty much cemented in everyones minds, mine included, but...trying to get them to jump from being a nice, "Disney of the console world" company, to being gritty and hard edged in one shot, will be hard to do.
GTA3 is THAT far of a jump. I can imagine the Nintendo guys, that determine who they'll license their games to, watching a video of GTA3 where someone is driving around, killing people with his Uzi, stops to pick up a whore, screws her in some dirty alleyway, blows her head off and takes his money back while someone yells "punk ass bitch". (That's happened to me in the game) The Nintendo guys would be in shock.
...I just don't think it's going to happen for the Gamecube.
Now, if you could only drive the ice cream truck, throw water ballons at people, pick up old ladies needing a ride across town and then having someone call you Mr. poopy pant's. Well...then it could be on the Gamecube.
;) :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Derrick-

The PS2 is trying to be the console that is made for teens and older but all the little kids want to play.

The X-Box is the big bad console that appeals solely to young adults and older.

The GameCube is trying to appeal to everyone. Thats why they have their classic titles, kiddie titles, adult titles, violent titles, etc. And just because a game looks cute, doesn't mean it isn't fun. They are trying to get games that don't look cute so people won't associate them with just being cute.

GTA3 won't come out on GameCube for a long time, if it ever does.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I agree that games don't have to be bad ass looking to be fun. The original Crash Bandicoot and the sequel were pretty damn fun IMHO.
As for Nintendo and their products, if they truly made lame games and a wimpy machine to play them on, they wouldn't be as big a player in the industry as they are. They make good stuff. Just not my taste.
...but it's fun to take a jab here and there at some of the guys on here that are so vehemently in defense of their kiddie machine. ;) *tee hee*

Barry S

Stunt Coordinator
Every title out shouldn't be on all systems. Exclusives are a good thing.
I guess I feel exactly the opposite way. I think that video game consoles should all use the same software, like PC games. I've always thought of it in comparison to VCRs and DVD players. A Sony DVD player will play the same DVDs that a Toshiba player will. If you buy Sony's DVD player, you don't have to buy Sony's own line of DVDs. I don't see why video games should be any different. Especially now with (almost) all game systems using discs rather than cartridges.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Even when a game is released for multiple platforms though, both versions are usually far from equal. Either one system has more power than another, or one version has a feature that the other doesn't. Look at Mortal Kombat when it first came out-Snes looked better, but Genesis had blood. Same with this gen-I'm sure that games like GTA3 or Tony hawk 3 on Xbox will let you do things like rip your own soundtracks, and perhaps load faster by using hard drive cache space.

I guess my point is that I think that especially in a market with so many consoles now, releasing a game on multiple platforms is really the way to go. That, and I really can't afford to get a Ps2 and an Xbox...

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Barry-

there's a tremendous reason why I think (and hope) that will never happen- to use Microsoft's favorite term- innovation. It's a very disposable scene. Hell, sony's even acknowledged that the life cycle may be knocked down to 3 years, rather than five. At any rate, I'm sure we're start to hear rumblings of the PS3's feature set in another year or so.

Standards take time. It also seems to be an extremly political world, creating by commitee a creature that is by it's very nature a lowest common denominator- not the kind of process I think you need for a "next generation" gaming experience.

Put the respective engineers and creative directors in their holes, and let them make their proprietary gaming environments representing what their team believes is cutting edge. Along those lines, let them create machines that sculpt game play around who they want playing them. The Xbox and gamecube are both great designs created with a targeted audience in mind. kudos to both- more please.

Finally, from a "historical" perspective, I don't beleive there has been any attempt at an "open" arcitecture that hasn't bene a complete flop on the market, let alone worthy of defining the state of gaming.

While it might sounds great to be able to go buy a "video game" and pop it into the "videogame playing hardware", I see the benefits of purchasing a gamecube game for my gamecube, and an xbox game for my (pending) xbox.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I agree.

PCs are different from consoles, and this is no exception to the differences. If I pay $800 for 3 consoles, I don't want to have the same games for each console. The exclusive games are the things that will make me want one console over another. Remove that, then EVERYONE can make gaming consoles, and that ruins the competition that gaming runs on right now.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
To be fair Morgan, this is dangerously close to people like me feeling smug because we can watch the laserdiscs of the Star Wars or Indiana Jones Trilogy, while people with only DVD can't see these films at home.

If a machine can't handle a game from a technical viewpoint then I'll understand it - Halo wouldn't work on a GBA for instance - but making people happy about buying three different consoles doesn't seem like a good enough reason to deny people with fewer platforms.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, games that are usually very popular, like Sports games, are on all consoles. The games that are more specific, like Mario, are exclusive titles. If all the exclusive titles lose their exclusivity, then competition will die out and it will become totally about hardware. So say that happens and MS wins (since they have the best hardware). MS can do whatever they want and they pretty much decide what happens in console gaming. If they want to charge for online gaming like crazy, they can. If they want to up the MSRP of games, they can. Their decisions might even end up ruining console gaming altogether.

Then again, the exact opposite could happen. Console gaming could boom, games could become cheaper, and the whole medium could grow beyond peoples' imaginations. The same could happen if there is competition. The things that make one console better from another is what one has that they others don't. If you remove that, then its no longer gaming, but rather the X-Box, GameCube, or PlayStation 2.

Users who are viewing this thread