What's new

Sign petition to get GTA3 on GameCube! (1 Viewer)

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
For those that don't know, Brian worked on the first two GTA games, so I suspect that he is correct here; its probably not worth the effort. I'm not aware of anything coming from Rockstar for Gamecube at all; they are concentrating on PS2 at the moment, so they would have to put another team together for it. Also, given that GTA3 runs so well on PS2 I'd guess that it would be a pretty major job to convert to the Cube; they are very different architectures.

James D S

Screenwriter
There's a pattern of behavior that maladjusted adolescents exhibit called Hostile Attributational Bias. HAB is when a person, upon hearing a vague comment, assumes the comment to be negative or an insult. Generally, this behavior is found among adolescents with little social development and low self esteem.

The good news is that it can be corrected.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Also, given that GTA3 runs so well on PS2 I'd guess that it would be a pretty major job to convert to the Cube; they are very different architectures.
But, wasn't GTA3 announced for Xbox? I thought I read somewhere that the Xbox and GCN were a lot closer from an architectural standpoint, than with the PS2.

If that's the case, would it be easier to port GTA3 from the box to the cube?

Gary

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
this may not be a popular opinion, but who said all games have to be available on all platforms?

Frankly, I would be really fucking annoyed if everytime I went to EB or bestbuy the gaming sections for all 3 platforms were exactly the same, row after row of port after port.

I think it's because of both greedy publishers and whiny consumers. I wonder how much better SSX tricky would have been if they would have just picked a platform and focused ALL efforts on it? I bet they could have fixed the framerate for whichever machine they were targeting.

Every game available on every system also makes me feel like quite the chump for owning them all... (well, the xbox is coming for xmas).

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Aaah, but thats the point. Should a person have to splash out $800 on hardware (before we even start counting memory cards, extra controllers etc.) just to be sure they can play the next 'must own' game? Those that have done so will naturally want the game to be all it can be, but others would rather have at least something available when they buy only one console.

I can't find any confirmation of even the PC port's existence, let alone the XBox one, right now - do you know this is certain yet?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
this may not be a popular opinion, but who said all games have to be available on all platforms?
As a consumer I agree. You have to see the financial side for developers as well. EA can obviously sell more copies of SSX Tricky if it's available for more platforms.

This is the price we pay for having 3 consoles on the market. Games will be made for the least common denomenator to make for an easy port. Hopefully, first party games will force the competition to up their degree of quality.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I'll explain my post (that I did late at night after a pain in the arse development session).

Basically, Rockstar are backing the PS2 first, with secondary support for the Xbox on certain titles. They're a heavily 'lifestyle' orientated company, pushing certain genres/styles/content that tend not to sit well with certain sections of the market.

Historically, Rockstar/Take Two are not big backers of the N64, and have announced few GameCube titles.

Historically, Nintendo were averse to the GTA style of gameplay. Yes, it was released for the GBC, but in a wildly toned down format. Yes, I know the new & improved Nintendo is allowing more adult games for the platform, but not every third party publisher 'believes' Nintendo is new & improved.

Sony have a time limited exclusivity deal with Rockstar & GTA3 in certain territories too (something that isn't getting mentioned much).

GTA3 was developed using the Renderware middleware libraries from Criterion - it's the graphics engine that keeps GTA3 ticking over. Are Criterion supporting the GameCube? Disk space is also an issue - GTA3 uses up a heck of a lot of space on the DVD with its constantly streaming music & data...

Ho hum. My point was a petition won't do much good - Rockstar know people want it for the GameCube, but they'd rather you bought it for the PS2.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
I signed it... its a really kewl game but its not worth me buying a ps2 or xbox for... but since i have a gamecube.... :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well its coming out for GameBoy Advance.

This game will never come out for GameCube. Its sad that Nintendo has that kiddie reputation, but thats exactly why it won't. Hideo Kojima himself said he would never think of making a Metal Gear game on GameCube, but is interested in something else. Rockstar doesn't make much of "something else" games, so I doubt they will ever release a game on GCN.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Since someone mentioned they couldn't find any info about the X-box or PC version I wanted to go ahead and post the official announcement for it:
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...686637,00.html
Link Removed
Ign also has a preview section with an interviw with one of the developers in the PC section. No official confirmation for that one though that I could find.
That said I think its ashame the Gamecube wont get the game. It an excellent title that should be experienced.

John_TH

Auditioning
There's a pattern of behavior that maladjusted adolescents exhibit called Hostile Attributational Bias. HAB is when a person, upon hearing a vague comment, assumes the comment to be negative or an insult. Generally, this behavior is found among adolescents with little social development and low self esteem.
You assume too much.
I for one did not start this petition, rather I was just trying to spread the word. The best way for an organization to improve is to listen to customer feedback. Maybe it won't help, but if it makes people feel like they are being heard then I say all the better. I took offense to BrianB's comment because my first post here in over 2 years (my old account doesn't seem to exist anymore) was met without an explaination nor a smiley but just a flat out rejection. Maybe my comeback was rash, and for that I apologize. It probably wasn't the best first (second?) impression to make. BrianB's second post, on the other hand, has gained him my respect. I guess I will humbly return to lurker status :) .

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks Romier. I vaguely remembered hearing about a PC version on the way, but Rockstar's site certainly doesn't want me to know that the PS2 version might not be worth getting!

I've got a reasonable PC, a Dreamcast and a GBA, and I plan to get a Gamecube when I can afford it, so I'm trying to avoid the PS2 option right now.

And thanks Brian - space is one thing I'd forgotten about with this game. It makes me wonder what they would ship the PC release on though, as games don't normally come out on DVD for it, and you can get rather more than a CDs worth of data on those mini Cube discs.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
How much space is GTA3 taking up on a DVD? And how much of that could be cut down by using Nintendo's compression scheme's for the Cube? Would there really be anything wrong with putting this game on 2 GOD's? So long as the disc swap is not right in the middle of gameplay.

I've only watched a few minutes of this game being played, so I don't really know how it plays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks