What's new

Sign O' the Times DVD w/DTS Holland release (1 Viewer)

keith*m

Agent
According to what I've read on prince.org there is a newly released DVD of Prince's "Sign O' the Times" on DVD with a DTS track available in Holland. Some of the users over there said it is Region 0 also. The quality is supposed to be slightly improved from the brazillian release that made it's way to the stores here (you know the one with the 1999 era Prince photo on the cover). According to what I read, some who have seen it seem to think the video was taken from the VHS release. I believe Universal (NOT Warner) has the rights to the actual film. With all of the press Prince has been getting lately, the re-release of "Purple Rain" and his other films on DVD and with the new tour, this summer would have been the perfect time to release this the right way in the US. Here is the link to a Dutch retailer selling it:

http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSH...BOL_OWNER_ID=1

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the info and hopefully a Dutch fan will describe how the dvd is. Came out on march 27

:emoji_thumbsup:

keith*m

Agent
I'm hoping that if Warner gets huge #s for the "Purple Rain" SE, that word will get back to Universal that there is $$ to be made.

Prince is actually starting hi s tour tonight in L.A. and is simulcasting the show live to 43 different Regal Cinemas across the states. You actually get a copy of his new CD with the price of admission......$15. Very cool.:)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am sure Universal is aware of the $$$ to be made with Prince, and getting the cd as part of your ticket is brilliant imo

:emoji_thumbsup:

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of the best concert films ever, up there with "The Last Waltz" and "Stop Making Sense". I almost wore out my VHS copy that I bought in 1988. Wonder if Universal still has the rights to this (it was originally released by Cineplex Odeon), and if they do, why haven't they put it out yet ??? And with Prince making a "comeback", this is the perfect time

There is a DVD of this from Alliance/Universal listed on Amazon.ca with a release date of Jan 5, 2005. I placed an order a couple of weeks ago and just received shipping confirmation. Can't wait to see what arrives!

Juan C

Second Unit
Just got the Canadian Alliance release (bought from dvdsoon). Audio is DD 2.0 and 5.1. Picture is 1.78:1 with anamorphic enhancement, and the quality of the print is very good, except the U Got the Look video, which looks awful.

Biggest problem for me was - now that I'm older (and with better gear :D ), the overdubs bother me more than what they used to. There are some shots where Prince is dancing like crazy and singing and the same time, with the mike going as far as two feet away from him, and the audio never drops. Yeah right.

All in all, highly recommended.

Found an excellent review here: http://dvdmg.com/princesignothetimes.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks