Sigma Designs Xcard w/TV tuner HELP...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by JasonRuiz, Sep 22, 2003.

1. JasonRuiz

JasonRuiz Auditioning

originally had planned on basing my upcoming HTPC project on my older Celeron [email protected], until I figured it wouldn't really have enough processing power to do the job. I figurd I'd probably build it around that for the most basic tasks until I could afford to upgrade to a new mobo/cpu (probably a xp2400 or 2500) I wanted to go with a mini-atx board but the more and more I revise my plans I think that solution will leave me short on PCI slots. I came across some guy in europe's website detailing his "mediacenter" which was basically a Higher end P4 server, some MP3 hardware interfaces for his home stereo system, and a 1.0ghz celeron box set up in his rack. He expalined how thew the celeron didn't have enough power for DIVX/DVD decoding and how thi s card was added to take care of those duties. I looked into the card further to find that it took care of all these duties allowing the cpu to run at a%0 load. So I figured it might be a descent approach to reusing my celeron. My only question is whther or not I'll be able to use it with a TV capture card. If anyone has any insight to this I'd really appreciate the feedback. Basically I'm looking for my HTPC to do the following
    1)Playback of DVD's fed to a HDTV monitor
    2)playback of DIVX/SVCD/VCD movies
    3)PVR duties (recording tv shows, time shifting etc)
    4)MP3 playback (maybe...I'm currently using building another Mp3 server using my old p2400)
    5)deinterlacer/scaler for my LD player and other analogue comp

Since I won't be playing any games on this machine (I have other computers for that) 3d perofrmance isn't an important issue...While I plan on upgrading to an Athlon 2500 or 2400 later when I get a HDTV card, I won't need that much processing power right now, so I figure that my old celeron should have enough power for just recording TV and playing back DIVX movies etc (with the X card)

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

If the TV card has a hardware encoder , like the Hauppauge PVR cards, then it will probably work , although you will have to pick your software with care. I do this with an Athlon 600 and ran it on a PII-400 but I don't use an HDTV monitor and I run a Hollywood Plus decoder with Hauppauge PVR250. (no DIVX or Mp3)

You need to search the Sigma Designs forums , SHSPVR.com and forums , Frey technologies (freytechnologies.com) and forums , Girder.nl for remote control. The Avs forums (avsforum.com) also have a section on HTPC computers. Most of these sites are focused on one part of the solutions you need ; Hauppauge PVRs , Sage PVR software , Xcard and H+ , remote controlling , etc. I hope you have a broadband connection because you really need to do a lot of research to see if you can do everything you want to do or if compromises are in order.

3. JasonRuiz

JasonRuiz Auditioning

I haven't decided on which card to use, though I'll probably use one with a hardware encoder. Yeah I have a broadband connection and have trolled through most of those forums with very little luck, I'll be checking the rest soon. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where few people have RoadRunner, so I get really good bandwidth (I lived in an area where most people had roadrunner and my speeds would vary from pretty good during times when most people were sleeping to pretty slow during peak hours. I couldn't handle a dial-up service anymore...