1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

International Sight & Sound's best blu-rays of 2019

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by titch, Dec 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    It's been yet another terrific year to be a collector. As one of the critics says, "In this age of streaming, it’s surprisingly and actually a wonderful time to be a collector and watch films in a physical format." This is probably the most diverse and interesting yearly list out there - despite having purchased over 200 titles, there are still so many that have slipped me by. I hadn't realised that the Indicator version of the Dietrich/von Sternberg set was better than the Criterion.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-sound-magazine/best-dvds-blu-rays-2019

I will have to put on The Koker Trilogy this weekend.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks for the link. They were interesting lists to be sure.

3. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    It's been a good year and for me the Monty Python set and Criterion's War and Peace stand out. Rented the Koker Trilogy from the library and my favorite was And Life Goes On.

4. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Thanks, very interesting. The Sight & Sound magazine was always a bit too posh for me, I was a Films & Filming man (but Sight & Sound had the last laugh, as it's still going). No, The Bad & The Beautiful in any lists, but they were probably compiled before it was released (& the same with the 4th Hammer box set from Indicator). It's been a bit of a disappointing year for catalogue releases for me, but it's all subjective, & I do like a rather narrow range of films.

5. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Those lists don't mention picture and sound quality and instead concentrate on the films and the extras. For me, the most satisfying releases are those which present films I like in better quality than has been available for a very long time. So, the French disc of Tender In The Night, Warner Archives' Great Day In The Morning, Criterion's War And Peace, Arrow's The Big Clock and Hold Back The Dawn, Kino Lorber's Diabolically Yours and Koch Media's Waterloo are all in my list of best discs of 2019.

Mike2001, Malcolm R, bujaki and 3 others like this.
  6. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    There were some interesting releases I didn’t know about.

I see they released ROOM AT THE TOP. I wish KINO’s edition was as good as the BFI, but it’ll probably be barebones.