What's new

Sigh...I'm going to miss my neighbors... turned into another (sob, sob) dating thread (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I hate change. We've been traveling back and forth from the North, to the Jersey Shore since 1980. Obviously I was way too young then, but when I got older, I began to appreciate how great it is to have fun, good neighbors you can rely on and vice versa.

All the neighbors are over 50...One guy is a retired cop... the other guy is a retired partier..well, semi retired :). The third guy passed, and now his son is there. We don't chat with him as much as we did his father...dunno why.

But the other two neighbors are great to have around, and to think the landscape could change in as little as twenty years. One is now moving out....it's more or less a given the house is going to be knocked down for something nicer, but who knows who is going to move in......And the other neighbors sadly arn't getting any younger.

I'm hoping we dont have a situation like we did up north. Someone didn't like their neighbors, and after two months of living in the house, moved out again... I really hope something like that dosn't happen here...Worse yet, have a bunch of kids move in who throw late night parties into the wee hours of the morning...

Anyone else in a similair boat, or any interesting neighbor stories to tell?

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Geez.. and my friends are calling me a wuss for being depressed about my girlfriend of nearly 4 years leaving me with hardly an explanation. Home alone on the 4th.. tons of fun.

Your sad because the people who live next door to your summer house are moving? Wow. Ive lived next door to the same people for 5 years and still dont even know there names. I do know that they like Smirnoff Ice though thanks to the souvenir bottles they throw over my fence every now and then. Tough break dude.. if I ever get my girl to take me back Ill ask if shes ever had a similar experience. Probably wont happen though since she now ignores my phone calls.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Dang Jimi. Call your buds and hang out. See what happens when home alone depressed... we tend to post silly things on message boards :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
jimi, a few years down the road, you'll realize it was the best thing that happened to you. a friend told me that when it happened to me, and i didn't believe him. let her try and contact you. if she doesnt, cut your losses, man.

same thing happened to me, but we were together almost 7 years. she didnt ignore my calls, but tried to remain friends. i said i had enough friends, broke off contact, and i couldnt be happier now. best of luck.

CJ

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Same here, mine of 7 years told me she no longer loved and was seeing someone else and i thought I would die for a while but I've met someone so utterly fantastic i can only count it as a blessing

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Yeah, it's sad... but Just be lucky you've had a girlfriend....and be sorry for the poor saps like me who've never had the opportunity...like me who had to watch his sister and boyfriend cuddle on the couch all weekend and just cringe wishing I had a girlfriend to do that with..and just feel ever increasingly lonley...

that's all I'll say on that and hope that someone actually posts on topic and dosen't turn it into another dating thread..

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
How did we go from "damn, I hate to see my great neighbors leave" to "oh my God I'll never find love again"?? ;)

Guys, my fiancé of one year (the girl who used to show up in my sig over the past year) broke up with me in January. For the first 2-3 months, I resembled Kelso from That 70s Show in the episode where he mopes around constantly ("Eric, you don't know how lucky you are. I'd give anything to be able to tell Jackie I killed her cat!") But eventually I had my Shawshank moment: You get busy living, or you get busy dying. That's the moment I decided to enjoy being single again. No more WAF issues about HT purchases, no more worries about green cards, wedding permits, no gigantic phone bills because of dozens of long distance calls, etc. etc. etc.

Ever since? Life's been good.

It also helps that her new bf looks like a refugee from the Shire.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Glad you've been doing better, Ricardo. I think I had suspected something might have happened when your sig changed.

Also glad to see you haven't lost your touch. :laugh: Bitter? Who's bitter? :crazy:

Jimi C

Screenwriter
This blows.. I dont know if I miss her or if im just flat out bored at this point.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Jimi C, watch Swingers. That will pick up your spirits.;)

Neil V, I wouldn't know. I have never been one to be friends with my neighbours. I have friends for that.:cool:

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Neil V, I wouldn't know. I have never been one to be friends with my neighbours. I have friends for that.:cool:>>>>

Yeah...that's part of my problem. All my highschool friends grew up like I did, but they went to college, or had girlfriends before that, and I got left by the wayside eventually. Now I'm by myself, never went to college....don't really have an easy spring base to make new friends, except online....and online obviously hasn't worked for dating.

One of the reasons why I was depressed on occasion this 4th as well....and didn't respond all well to the first post. My sister is younger, about 105 pounds, obviously the cute one in the family, and is on boyfriend number 3. The other two lasted about a year, and for one reason or another, dropped by the wayside.. #3 seems to be 'the one' at this point, at around the 2.5 year mark. Only problem with this one is he smokes, otherwise he's not all bad.

So, in the few times I was downstairs....I had to watch them kiss and kuddle, especially during the thunderstorm...that made me feel even worse. I don't think about dating often, but in these moments, I really do wish I had SOMEONE that enjoyed my company..

It would make life so much more fun if it works out...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You could get a dog or cat! At least they stick around. Well, if they don't run away first. Um. Yeah.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sorry to hear it, Ricardo. I never know what's going on in the world, as I have signatures turned off.

Neil, most of the neighbors I knew have moved out. Most of them put their houses up for rent rather than sale, so it's now an endless parade of people who don't plan to stay and don't care to know you. Not that I'm that interested in knowing them either, as they are typically the "loud and inconsiderate" types like you mentioned. But, there is still a core of longtime neighbors who sit out and are friends. I'm not really in the circle, but we're friendly enough.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Don't count on that.

I'm in the boat of, if it happens than fine, otherwise, I'm alright by myself. The whole 3 kids and a picket fence mentality is an image and nothing more. We should all be more concerned with other things in life than trying to strive for a false moral standard of success. After 7 years of trying to make that image work has left me with a much better perspective of what life should be about, and what makes me happy.

My neighbours are a drug grow-op that the cops wont do anything about and a pissy old German who just got pissier now that Germany is out of the world cup. while good for the odd laugh, I don't think I would miss either of them if they moved.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Some people have a hard time at Thanksgiving or Christmas; I usually have a hard time around Independence Day due to various events over the last few years, all winding up around this time. So it's nice to see I'm not alone with struggling to be positive.
One thing I've learned - never compare your romantic situation with a woman's, especially if she's attractive. Comparison is a bad idea anyway, but especially counterproductive when comparing with the opposite sex (unless you're an Adonis or something).

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Months later, I'm just starting to involved with a girl from work, and shes calling me now apolagetic and saying she misses me.. How did I know this was going to happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks