What's new

Side effects of Zoloft? (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
Has anyone here tried Zoloft? What are the side effcts? I've tried looking on the net, but it is best to find out from unbiased opinions.....

ToddJ

Second Unit
I have already searched Google...but I was looking for real people's feedback. I have heard conflicting stuff about the side effects for this drug and was afraid to go on it.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I would go to the manufacturer's web site and find the patient package insert. FDA requires the manufacturer to list all information about side effects gathered in clinical trials in this document. Anything else, from Joe Thisguy or Jane Thatgirl, would be considered anecdotal and unsubstantiated (and personally, I'd find it highly dubious).

ToddJ

Second Unit
I feel the exact opposite. The manufacturer is the last person you should believe.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"I feel the exact opposite. The manufacturer is the last person you should believe."

Certainly your prerogative.

The FDA requires substantial culture testing prior to any human trials beginning. Then clinical trials must be designed and approved before humans can take the drug. Trials must generally last several years, and cover enough of a sampling of the desired market to prove to a panel of experts that the drug is safe and effective. Even so, occasionally the panel decides the benefits of a given drug outweigh potential risks. Sometimes, being human, they decide incorrectly (Vioxx, IUD, etc.).

These are the facts my opinion is based on. What is yours based on?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Why was the nurse practioner/counselor responsible for upping the doseage for this lady? If such a drug is going to be taken, hopefully a prescription will be achieved from someone who specializes in the area of properly diagnosing illnesses, etc.

As with any medicine, there can and will be side-effects. However, we have to weigh things out to determine if our lives will be improved even after we've taken the side-effects into consideration. In most cases, that answer will be "yes."

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The thing with these types of meds are, you don't know how they are going to affect you until you start taking them.

Example, I haven't had Zoloft, but I've used quite a few of the "others" and each one worked differently with me. I've seen Zoloft give one person no appetite and made another person gain weight from increased appetite.

That's the thing with these medication is, you never know how it's going to effect you until you try it. This is also why it is IMPERATIVE that you see a Dr. regularly while you start anything like this so they can monitor you and find out what works and what doesn't work for you. Just because one type of med works for someone else, doesn't mean it will work exactly the same for you.

Also, the side effects are also dependant on your condition. I would recommend downloading this PDF:
http://www.zoloft.com/ZoloftUSPI.pdf

Page 29 has a chart that lists all the possible side effects and shows which "conditions" have a higher percentage of experiencing them.

For example, people with OCD have a 3% chance of insomnia whereas people with depression have a 1% chance of insomnia (when taking Zoloft), so you can see that everyone's experience with it will be quite different than your own experience. Which will be the case. As stated above, everyone experiences it differently, so try not to listen to others bad experiences as "the norm".

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Excellent point about individual reactions Mark.

And good idea there, finding the PI :)

Let me add, for those who are dubious about believing info from the manufacturer ... as someone who works in an FDA-regulated industry, I can tell you, if the company puts anything false in the PI or any other documentation, including advertising, the FDA has the right to, at the very least, recall the product, and if they want they can close the company's doors. Individual workers (ALL of them) are subject to fines for doing anything deliberately to falsify information, either internal or what is published publicly. This is no joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks