What's new

Sid Meier's SimGolf (demo) (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
On "The Sim's: Hot Date" (couldn't find a demo on the Internet) there is a demo for Sid Meier's SimGolf. It's a lot of fun and combines different aspects from different games.
It plays like a course designer (a simplified one, which isn't a bad thing) and golf course manager. The people on the course speak in "SimSpeak", but their words are translated. They say a lot of fun things, and most importantly they speak their mind about the course. You can also play the course, but there isn't a golf engine like, say, Links, but instead you just control people from the God POV.
It does seem a little overwhelming when everyone's thoughts and ideas and other stuff pops up, but it's hard to tell if the final version will play like this. The demo is limited to creating three holes.
If you like golf and Sid Meier games, you should definitely check out this game. I imagine it'll make it to the EA Games demo page: http://www.eagames.ea.com/downloads/...ads_demos.html but not sure when.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I bought the full version. By and large, the game is like crack - I can't seem to get enough of it. However, there is a show-stopping bug for most computers that keeps the tournaments from playing properly. Apparently, there is a patch to fix it, but the BBS board on the official website is still flaring with people for whom the patch did not work.

GameSpot gave it a great review, even though they pointed out some of the flaws. I agree mostly with their assessment; the full version plays completely different than the demo and is MUCH better. My only complaints are the tournament bug, some minor interface issues (more annoyances than anything), and the fact that you can only get the patch if you have the CD-key in front of you.

Lety me say something about that last statement. I have the full version installed on my laptop, but it is not really connected to the internet at home, and I have to remember to bring the jewel case into work so I can punch in the CD-key. In my opinion, it should not be this hard to get the patch.

Anybody else have the game?

Jason

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the full version yesterday. I couldn't stop playing it once I got started. The three hole limit in the demo takes a lot out of the game. I had more than three holes within the first hour I started playing it. I did play one tournament and I didn't have any problems with it.

Kirsten

Stunt Coordinator
I must admit that although I initially enjoyed the demo, there wasn't enough to it to really capture my interest. It wasn't long before the three holes were constructed and I found myself simply reading the Sim-speak while the golfers played my course. I would suggest that the folks behind the demo look into increasing the number of holes to nine (half of a full course) so that gamers get a chance to become addicted to the game, therefore, needing to run out and purchase it!

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I agree to some extent with Kirsten. I think the ideal situation would be a full version that runs for 1 hour at a time, without a save feature, and maybe even grey out a bunch of the different scenery options. During my games, an hour is just enough to make me forget about things like eating and sleeping :D
Jason

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
For me, the demo only took about 15 minutes of playing for me to realize that i wanted more. There is so much more in the game compared to the demo, most of which i havent completely figured out yet!

Users who are viewing this thread