Sick of RPTV's?? Lets talk about projectors!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Sick of worrying about burn in?

Tired of worrying about people destryoing your multi thousand $$$ investment?

I know I am.

Everyday I worry about something going wrong, having to move my big screen when I move...among other things. I have decided to scrounge up for a front firing projector. I am starting from scratch that is.. and have some f.a.q's

I would hope someone or everyone would answer.. for me.. and all others interested, but that don't know where to begin.

1. What is an actual good brand? It might be a whole different world then in RPTV's

2. What is the price range and what quality would you get for that price range?

3. Are they hard to mount?

4. If so, will a floor (portable) one work just as well?

5. How much are screens? And is there really a difference in them?

6. Any help or anything in general to look for.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I am in the process of replacing my gigantic take up half the room tv with a nice and small convenient gigantic pic [​IMG] projector

check out avs forum all of your questions will be answered and more!

Good luck, Bob

3. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Well, I've looked through their forums and thats why I'm here :b

It is a little too advanced for me right now.. I need some basics first.

They talk about brands, and prices and terms, but since I am not familiar with any of that it really still excludes me.... and I really am in the dark about it all. Just need some laymen talk.

4. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Well, I have the NEC VT540 XGA projector and I love it. Everyone who has watched a movie over at my HT has commented on how beautiful the picture is. A lot will also depend on the cables you use. I bought the Silver Serpent Cables from Bettercables.com. I am, however, no way near an expert. I think Neil Joseph needs to chime in. He has a lot of good ideas when it comes to FP systems.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    You are in the right place. There are lots of qualified people here that can help you out. First of all, I will direct you to the FAQ area to read this post... Front Projection - How do I select one for my needs?

Let me see if I can give you some quick answers as well...

1. Good brands include (there are others not on this list) Infocus, Sharp, Sony, Runco, Sanyo, Boxlite, Panasonic, Plus although budget comes into play here.

2. Price goes anywhere from a few hundred for a used unit to $1500-$3000 for a half decent digital (The Sony HS10 is one specific and popular model around $2900 and is native 16x9 @ 1366x768 for example. Pricing can go from this level to the next level of ~$10K for a nice HD2 DLP projector and of course you can go up from there as well. The sky is the limit.

3. Mounting is a piece of cake. I mounted my unit onto the ceiling but first, I crawled up into the attic and braced the ceiling with some 2x6's. Always mount off solid wood. Find the joists that are up there. In my case, I knew the joists would not match up with my mount...
    [​IMG]

4. You can rest on a table. I have even seen people mount on a shalef at the back of the room. Just make sure there is enough ventilation space around the projector. Some projectors have the exhaust at the front (like mine) so do not block the front. You get the point.

5. Screens! They can go anywhere from free (a wall), to a few hundred for a DIY solution or cheap pulldown, to $2K-$3K fr a nice screen from Stewart or other such reputable screen company. There are many types including pulldown, motorized, fixed, perf screens that you can place speakers behind, screens that have aspect ratio control.

6. Refer to my link at the beginning of this post.

Good luck

6. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

Damn Neil. Thanks! [​IMG]

keep it coming!

7. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I just took the plunge for a small projector. I actually have a lot of experience with CRT projectors, and could not bring myself to look at projectors under the $2000 mark. That was until Panasonic released the PT-L300. I saw this in action and knew it would fit my needs. After knowing what a CRT projector could do, my standards were high, the panasonic is awsome for the price. It has a better display than a SANYO machine costing over $7000 ( I can't remember the model) but I installed it in a dedicated conference room at work.
    I plan to write a proper review when I get it set up in our new theater room in a week or two.

8. David_Jr

David_Jr Supporting Actor

Dave
    It would be great to see a review of the Panasonic as there is not much out there on it other than the manufacturer's promotional material. Hope to see your review soon.

9. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Check this out. They've sold me on it, looks like I have a new projector.

10. David_Jr

Dave
    Thanks again for the link. Looks like a good machine. I wonder when the next gen replacement will hit as I am about 1 yr from being able to purchase.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

12. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

Dumb question...

Can you hook up a satelite rec. to the projector and use this as your everyday TV?? Would this greatly reduce the life of the projector??

I know it's probably an obvious answer, but I'm still curious and not very knowledgable.... yet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:

I just the review at the link posted above and see that you can connect a Sat. rec to the projector. Any other thoughts on this?

13. JasonGarrett

JasonGarrett Agent

Projectorcentral.com has a lot of good info, reviews, specs, recommendations, etc. Definitely spend some time there.

14. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

As good as dvds look on a projector I really believe that it will be HDTV that will really take projectors to the next level.

Last night I watch Men of Honor on HBO HD and the picture was stunning in 1080i. It's unfortunate that more manufactures are not making dvd players that allow us to take advantage to the projector's maximum resolution as you can with a HTPC. I've connected my Dell laptop to the projector and everyone immediately notice the picture improvement even over a progressive dvd player.

I found one company which builds a dvd player based on a pc platform but it cost over $2000. It actually looks like a regular dvd player. I also understand why most people are not into HTPCs.

What's your take?

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Bring on HD-DVD. I personally can't wait to sample that.

16. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Neil:

does this mean our current dvd collection will end up like vhs?[​IMG]

17. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

I like the Panny PT-L300 (note my cool lingo of the word Panny... See! I am already learning stuff [​IMG]

I 'd like to see that boy in action. I get a pretty hefty discount on those things from where I work.. anybody have an idea what actual cost would be (for a store)??

18. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    LaMarcus, when do you plan on getting the PT-L300?

19. David_Jr

Dave

20. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Based on my research to date, I believe that the four most popular US$1500-$2500 front projectors are (in alphabetical order):

1. Infocus X1...DLP, 4x3
    2. Panasonic PT-L300U (AKA PT-AE300)...LCD, 16x9
    3. Sanyo Z1...LCD, 16x9
    4. Sony HS10...LCD, 16x9

As the HS10 is overpriced here in Canada, I am leaning to the Panasonic AE300 (pro: no screen door, 16x9, short throw, quiet, con: pricest and availability...April 2003 in Canada?) with the Sanyo Z1 second (pro: moderate price, 16x9, short throw, con: screen door, moderate loud)and the Infocus X1 third (pro: cheapest, con: rainbows and long throw, SVGA, 4x3, moderate loud). The order may change once I have had a chance to view the projector(s) first hand.

Dave