What's new

sick of revisionist cinema? watch South Park 2-nite (1 Viewer)

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
From Southparkstudios.com...

14. Why do Matt and Trey change little scenes after it gets aired Wednesday? I notice small changes from Wednesday to Saturday like a line gets cut or a scene is different…
why?
Trey: We finish a show and satellite it to the East Coast on Wednesday afternoon the day it airs. But the satellite copy is not the greatest quality so then we Fed-Ex a NEW copy of the show on Friday for the Saturday showing.
Matt: And then sometimes, because we have a couple of extra days, we fix some shots and redo some sound. That's it, we're just the worst procrastinators ever in the whole world ever that have ever lived ever.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The minor revisions they sometimes make to South Park between first and second airings did cross my mind as ironic while watching this episode, but in all fairness, Trey and Matt are not changing an already-established classic. They're under a tight deadline, and they occasionally make a few minor changes between the Wednesday and Saturday airings of an episode. It's almost as if they consider the first airing of the show to be a "test screening." I don't really approve -- but it's hardly the same thing as altering a 20 year-old classic movie. But they should include the changes as seamless branching or at least as supplements on the DVDs.

Also they promptly responded to the criticism by doing an episode that resolved the who is Cartman's father cliff hanger as soon as possible. So they took popular opinion very seriously.
The conclusion of "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" was ALWAYS planned to be the second episode of Season 2. They didn't create the episode in response to fan criticism. It was already completed before the Terrance and Phillip episode ever aired.

Beau

Supporting Actor
The conclusion of "Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut" was ALWAYS planned to be the second episode of Season 2. They didn't create the episode in response to fan criticism. It was already completed before the Terrance and Phillip episode ever aired.
I'm not COMPLETELY sure, but I think I remember them saying something on the commentary for that episode that they weren't going to do a second episode, but then when everyone was crying to find out who's Cartman's dad, they came up with the Terrance and Phillip episode for the April Fool's joke and weren't going to do a conclusion on the Cartman's dad one even then, but after everyone got pissed about the T&P episode, they decided to do the part 2 of Cartman's mom is a dirty slut.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't really see how that's possible... I mean, the outcry wouldn't have occured until the episode aired, and I'd imagine it takes more than a week to put on through production.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really see how that's possible... I mean, the outcry wouldn't have occured until the episode aired, and I'd imagine it takes more than a week to put on through production.
While I don't know if "Cartman's Mom is Still a Dirty Slut" was ready before "Not Without My Anus," according to everything I've read, the production process can be completed in as little as four or five days.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'd imagine it takes more than a week to put on through production.
You'd be surprised. Remember the feds stormed the Elian Gonzales compound on a Saturday morning, and on Wednesday South Park had an episode all about the topic. Much of the episode could have been planned in advance, but they did have a shot that parodied the photograph of the stormtrooper pointing his assault rifle at Elian hiding in the closet. I read that Matt & Trey worked on the episode around the clock to get it finished by Wednesday night.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I have seen Spookyfish not in spooky vision. But I believe the announcement for spooky vision stated it was done for Halloween. It wasn't really part of the episode, it was just an add-on to make it scarier. It was not integral to the plot, and I doubt it was ever removed because of political reasons. If that were the case, I'm sure we'd never see Mecha-Streisand again.

One thing I love about South Park is how political it can be sometimes. And the fact that they work on the show right up to the deadline allows them to be very timely in their commentary. The Elian and Trapper Keeper episodes were great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks