sick of revisionist cinema? watch South Park 2-nite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    2-night's episode is "Free Hat". Let me just give you the discription that's writtn on my Tivo's guide:

"The boys form a club in order to stop Hollywood directors from wrecking their own films."

A friend saw it earlier in the week and said it was hilarious. She said it was as if you wrote it, because I'm always ranting about the evils of revisionist cinema.

This episode is scheduled for 3/2/2003, 11 p.m. Eastern Time on the Comedy Channel. Lucas and Spielberg should be there....

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Revisionist Cinema's evils vary from person to person and film to film.

South Park did some of their own revisionism... They removed the Spookyvision alert from the Mechasteisand episode for later showings.

It's funny how this show tries to inspire philosophy.

3. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

This episode parodies the revisionism of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg by portraying them as villains who are out to change Raiders Of The Lost Ark (by changing all the characters to Ewoks, basically). There are some excellent parodies in this episode, most prominently a parody of Raiders, but the episode also spoofs some other movies including Saving Private Ryan and E.T. It's a hilarious episode with a great message too.

4. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

I never understood why Spielberg was portrayed as the greater villain in that episode compared to Lucas, I mean, at least he put the original version of E.T. on DVD.

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

6. Paul.Mc

Paul.Mc Agent

I think they pilloried Spielberg for the reasons he indulged in revisionism. Whatever you feel about what Lucas did to his work ([​IMG] [​IMG] ), Spielberg rose to self-censorship with the walkie-talkies and re-dubbing. I'm sure we know how Messrs. Parker and Stone feel about self-censorship [​IMG] .

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

9. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

Er, wait. So, when Spielberg removed stuff from ET that he thought might offend people, he was "making a creative judgement with regard to popular opinion?" What, then, would be an example of bowing to popular opinion?

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Shouldn't this be in TV or at the very least movies? I don't see how it has anything to do with DVDs, tapes, or laserdiscs.

12. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

13. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

14. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

15. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Also they promptly responded to the criticism by doing an episode that resolved the who is Cartman's father cliff hanger as soon as possible. So they took popular opinion very seriously.

16. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

There have been some other minor changes in later viewing of episodes(I never saw any showings of the spooky-vision episode without the spooky vision, was that a recent thing?). But in the Trapper Keeper episode, at the end, when Bill Cosby is dissappearing, if you watch it now, it will say "It's working, I don't exist." But on the first showing, he said "Ouch, this hurts!", that change is really the only change that bugged me becuase it was so funny, but most of the other changes I've seen(which I can't recall at the moment), we're VERY small, and hardly noticable, and it doesn't really happen a lot.

17. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I got a kick out of the show. It's a good'un. Adam, when I posted this I thought about where it should go but since it parodies around the home video market, sorta', this seemed like a good place. Besides, I just felt like reminding folks to watch it.

I could of written this episode. I predicted the ending correctly before it even started. I did vaugely know about the RAIDERS plot thang though, no details. Maybe Lucas and Spielberg will be back in later episodes? I hope so. I'm picturing Lucas and Spielberg at hades with Satan and Saddam on a double date. [​IMG]

18. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Too bad they haven't done an episode on how the Comedy Central logo intrudes on the picture, sometimes covering people on the show!

19. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

I don't think the Spooky-Vision graphics have been removed, as they weren't on the Mechastreisand episode to begin with. But they were on the Spookyfish episode with Stan's creepy pet fish. I saw it a few months back on Comedy Central and the Babs stingers were still there.

20. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor