Sick of IGN. Need new reviews site.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Broeska, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

hey everyone,
    i'm not sure how many of you go to www.ign.com for your reviews, but i've pretty much had it with them. they've revamped their site for the millionth time in what seems like the past six months and pretty much want you to pay a fee so you can view images and download quicktimes of upcoming games. the worst part is is that their site is already littered with banners and pop-up ads. they even (sometimes) give you a "middle page" of an ad before taking you along to the section you really want to go to. it's rediculous!
    please help me out. i need my fix of upcoming game reviews (specifically gamecube). thanks.

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I like http://gamespot.com quite a bit. They give harsh reviews and that's the way I like it.
    -Andre F

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Well, www.videogames.com is still mostly free...for now. If more people don't subscribe to IGN's Insider service, the site will no longer be there in a year. Sad, but they do have major expenses to pay for, and the same will happen to the next site that becomes as popular as IGN.
    -Dan B
    (edit-Andre beat me to it!)

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

come on, people need to get paid. even gamespot has stopped giving us free mpg movies.

you dont get in between pages at ign if you paid. but personally i dont like ign's review. they praise average games like crazy. even bad games ( that in my book would be an "E" grade ) could have a 7.0 score. that sucks.

i prefer gamespot reviews.

5. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

gamespot is my place

6. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

7. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

8. Matt Broeska

Matt Broeska Stunt Coordinator

awesome, guys! thanks a lot!

9. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I remember how much I used to love DailyRadar.com, and now it's history.

Everything can't be free. IGN WILL go out if they can't afford to stay "in" any longer. We'll see the same old post, "another one bites the dust". And, we'll be left searching for another good game site.

Gotta support what good ones there are. NextGen magazine is gone now too, supposedly because there weren't enough subscribers, and the net is now the only place I can find what I want to know.

So, don't be surprised if more and more sites slowly start charging a few bucks for membership.

On a side note, Imagine Media shipped me the lousy, adolescent, PSM magazine in place of industry leader, NextGen. HA!!!!! I would've paid double the subscription price to keep NextGen rather than have even a free PSM. Anyhoo...I'm no longer a subscriber to Imagine Media in any way, shape or form.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

11. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Forget about the ads, I can live with those. How about the fact that IGN has every other story as a part of their exclusive Insider service? Before, Insider services were limited to mostly features and downloadable media, but now all the newest and even some of the archived reviews are Insider-only, along with the occasional news story and all the good features.

They're pathetic, and they've gotten too big for their own good. I hope they falter soon, so that a new upstart can rise from their affiliate ashes.

12. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I had a thread up about this last year. The fact of the matter is, certain groups of gamers visit sites like IGN.com to read reviews. Period. Not to download movies or read panel interviews about gaming trends - some gamers simply want to know about "GameX". "Is it worth my $50? What games are rated the highest?
    And some think: "why should I pay $5 a month to read reviews when I can do a little web searching or go into any bookstore and scan the articles for free?"
    Now I'm not "dissing" IGN or any of the large, struggling online gaming outfits. I've always visited them religiously and I prefer a site like IGN to "mR.DeTh.bOy'Z.gAmE.sItE" any day of the week (many apologies to "deth boy" if he actually exists). It's just a fact that less formal gaming forums and sites post reviews all the time, and savvy surfers will get the succinct gaming scoop no matter what -- if not at one easy location, then at the hundreds of others that are popping up and crashing down each month.
    I've always liked IGN and I realize they have have no other choice but to go the "insider" route - I'm just not sure it will succeed. Most gamers who enjoy a professional and informed review will still settle for ten less-classy FREE reviews -- if a decent idea of what they might expect from "GameX" is sufficiently conveyed. Many (and I judge not either side!) would rather save $25 a year than pay (an admittely meager amount of) money for what is essentially a professional-review-text retrieval service.
    ~Steve

13. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I wonder why someone can't come up with a "DVD File" or "Digital Bits"-type site.

A forum would be out of the question - too many fanboys.

Mike

14. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I think you just described htgaming.com, when it starts operating of course. [​IMG]

15. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I don't how much it costs to run a board, but I expect it's a lot. Still, I do not plan on spending any money on IGN. I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who don't have to pay for their games, cds, dvds, etc.

16. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

The last magazine whose reviews I totally agreed with was called Ultra Game Players or something like that. I finally laid down some money for a sub and of course a month later it folded and was replaced with Next Gen. Online I have always trusted the reviews at gamespot.com and enjoyed reading those put out by ign.com, but I've never trusted ign enough to pay for its services. I'm guessing it too will go under sometime soon, but by then we should have htgaming.com up and running!

Pieter

17. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

It's disappointing, because I really used to like IGN's reviews-especially of bad games. Some funny stuff on games that get low scores-kinda like mr cranky rates the movies.

18. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Nobody reviews bad games like gamerevolution.com reviews bad games, just thought I'd pass that along.

19. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

20. Chris Gio

Chris Gio Agent

In my opinion, Gamespot is far from a respectable review source. They tend to be rather biased in their writings (favoring the PS2, 95% of the time) and are never too up to date.
    I hate to say it, but I have found that IGN is the best gaming news voice on the net. Too bad, I suppose. [​IMG]