Shuttle Barebones?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Glenn, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Shuttle barebones pc to use for a htpc. I have a question about the hard drive to put into one.

I'm looking at the SB51G Neon Series and it has ATA-100 for the IDE interface. What is the largest hard drive that can be used with this pc? Is it limited to 120GB or not? I think I would like to put a 160GB drive into it if possible.

Thanks,
    Glenn

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It is not limited by the 120GB HD you can go as large as you want. I am going to buy the SB75G2 and it is tested running the 300GB HD with a 3.2ghz Intel Chip and a Radeon 9800 Pro Video card without heat problems after I believe 48 hours. Of course I dont know if that is under load or not but still pretty amazing for a box its size. I will be putting either the 160GB SATA or 200GB SATA HD along with a Radeon 9800 AIW and the new Ricoh 708 DVDRW. Should be a killer machine and I will be happy to get rid of my full Thermaltake Xaser II Super tower case.

KyleS

3. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

In my shuttle case I run a second hardrive in the 3.5" compartment that is typically used for a floppy drive.

There is such little need for floppies that it's a worthy trade. By doing this you can double you potential capacity and if you weren't using any other pci cards. . . like a tuner, you could potentially set the hardrives up in a raid.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I have seen the 20th Anniversary addition and cant say that it was worth the money. You can get the card readers and can replace the outside of the cases for less then what it costs for that one.

KyleS