Shrinkwrap on DVD's - STUCK!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkHastings, Mar 18, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Have you ever gotten a DVD and the shrinkwrap gets stuck to the spine? It comes off fine everywhere else, but the spine seems to be welded to the shrinkwrap? It seems that this only occurs with my online orders. I wonder if temperature changes (from the cold truck to my warm apartment) have anything to do with this?

Has anyone else experienced this before?

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I find this happening more and more, and with discs bought in regular B&M's. Very annoying.

It's not enough they have to cover three of four edges with obnoxious sticker-seals, now they have to glue the overwrap to the case as well? [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sounds like a reseal where someone wasn't careful with the gun

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I've never had it happen with shrink wrap - it usually happens with the *cellophane* wrap that Fox, Paramount and Columbia (among others) uses.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Peter, maybe you are talking about the same the same thing I am...(shrinkwrap/cellophane?) I didn't realize there was a difference?

I guess there's a difference between wrapping. Some seem very loose where others seem wrapped tight. The one that always seems to stick to the spine is the stuff that's like Saran Wrap. Have you ever gotten a new roll of Saran Wrap and ripped off a piece, only to have it fold over on itself, and it's virtually impossible to separate them? That's kind of what I'm talking about. It's not any glue or sticky substance used, but it's like some sort of plastic bond. Almost like if it were melted to the spine.

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    You can tell the difference in this way: cellophane wrap has a thicker feeling than most shrink wrap; it's also folded around the tops and bottoms of the cases - almost like the way you'd wrap a gift. Shrink wrap is much thinner and, once it's off the package, just crumples up; it's heat-sealed on all four sides and not folded like the cellophane. Warner's snapper-case discs are always in shrink wrap.

Yes, they are two distinctly different wrappings. I only pay attention to this nonsense because I was involved in video wholesale for a number of years and we had to know how certain items were packaged!

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Whatever the type, I find it a frequent problem on Disney/Buena Vista/Miramax releases. It is damned annoying. [​IMG]