Shrinking list of on-line DVD merchants

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stephen_z, Sep 15, 2002.

1. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to see if other members noticed the same... when using www.shopping.Yahoo in search of DVD sellers, a reasonable list of low priced merchants would appear. I would typically use these searches to find a low cost/high rating supplier for higher priced DVD's which haven't been discounted (i.e. Criterion DVD's, foreign films, classic epics like Citizen Kane). It seems as if recent searches show far fewer sellers and at higher prices. I guess some of these e-tailers are cutting back "advertising" costs on Yahoo. Is there another convenient place to look for DVD's?

2. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

You surely know of ......
    DVD PRICE SEARCH
    It's the Holyland for many HTF members! [​IMG]
    Or: You could just forget the searches, and get all your future DVDs right here. (You'll find they're the cheapest 91.45% of the time...give or take 0.02%. [​IMG] )

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Speaking of DeepDiscount....has anybody noticed how much BETTER its website responds now? Within the last few days in fact. It's gotten much more reliable, booting you off fewer times. And I'm finding even the free shipping method is taking less time to arrive. I'm getting in-stock orders in a mere 3 to 4 days after ordering! Of course, I'm guessing being only 1 state away helps this delivery time a smidge. [​IMG]
    (Gee, you'd think I worked for 'em, huh? [​IMG] )
    Just an observation from a pleased DDD consumer.

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

As another regular DDD customer, I certainly love them, but their Web site isn't exactly show piece and I've noticed no improvement on the looong time it takes for parcel post to get to NY.

All in all though, DDD has no serious competition out there...

Ted

5. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

6. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

7. Ben Tallen

Ben Tallen Agent

Hmm... Looking over my recent DVD purchases I find that I only purchase 4 or more DVDs at a time 8.55% of the time. Looks like you were spot on David! [​IMG]
    I would have to agree that DDD's prices are almost always the best and it's worth the occasional boot from the site. As for shipping, if you need it that quicker than that, go to Best Buy.
    Ben