Shrinking humans?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren Davis, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Darren Davis

Darren Davis Stunt Coordinator

In the Giant Insects thread BrianW mentioned shrinking humans and this made me remember something my math teacher talked about. He raised the question that since you couldn't take away any of the atoms that make up the person all you could do is compact the atoms (I'm guessing the space between the electrons and the nucleus). So, would the person weigh the same? I figure some interesting questions revolve around this subject. Hopefully, some of you out there can share your insight.

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Lol, "Honey I blew-up the kids."
    The solid would get so large it would turn into liquid and then gas. It would way the same, but you would have the same number of atoms expanding meaning the bonds between them would be broken. You'd essentially evaporate.
    Or you could shrink the kids and they'd become such a dense mass that it would become a black hole... and alright I'll stop.

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

If you were to "compact" your atoms, you would still weigh the same. You aren't subtracting mass, such as cutting off your arm or leg, you are just reducing it in size, therefore, it would be smaller, but weigh the same. This is why the matter on a collapsed star, or white dwarf, is insanely heavy, something like 1 teaspoon would weigh 10,000 tons (or more...or less, I can't remember the numbers my science teacher threw around).

Bruce

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I never knew this stuff, but all I have to say is WOW!

Brent