Shriek Show's ZOMBI 2 Special Edition - Specs

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Will*B, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    Not sure whether or not this is confirmed, but I thought this list of extras sounds pretty interesting. Unfortunately, it looks as though they're using the Anchor Bay commentary track, which has to go down in history as one of the worst ever!

DISC ONE:
    * Newly remastered widescreen transfer
    * Optional English subtitles
    * Audio commentary by actor Ian McCullough
    * “Food for the Worms,” a 13-minute featurette interviewing opening-scene zombie Captain Haggerty
    * Production stills, posters and lobby card gallery
    * Outtakes
    * Original ZOMBI 2 trailer, plus trailers for ZOMBIE 3, ZOMBI 4: AFTER DEATH and ZOMBI 5: KILLING BIRDS, FLESH FOR THE BEAST, FLESH EATER, EROTIC NIGHTS OF THE LIVING DEAD, ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST, BURIAL GROUND and BIO-ZOMBIE

DISC TWO:
    * “Building a Better Zombie,” a 98-minute documentary featuring interviews with producer Fabrizio De Angelis, makeup FX creator Giannetto De Rossi, cinematographer Sergio Salvati, composer Fabio Frizzi, makeup artists Maurizio Trani and Rosario Prestopino, camera operator Franco Bruni and hairstylist Mirella DeRossi Sforza
    * “Raising the Dead,” a six-minute featurette interviewing production and costume designer Walter Patriarca
    * “An Evening With Dakar”: Actor Dakar, who plays the character of Lucas, sings!

2. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if this is coming out for sure tomorrow??

3. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    this sounds awesome!

4. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    It's been delayed at least a week. It could show up in stores by Friday however.

5. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    For anyone who's interested: only the Blue Underground version has the Italian Audio track with English subtitles.

I know it doesn't matter to most, but it matters to me.

6. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Blue Underground version it is then.

7. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The thing that must be understood about Italian films of that time period is that a great many of them were actually shot silent and then dubbed into whatever language was needed for the different markets. There is no true OSL for the film. ZOMBI 2 has the characters actually speaking English during the shooting, so that would probably be the closest thing to an OSL.

8. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

It's true that there isn't a true OSL for many Italian films. However, I like the option since in many cases there are a majority of Italian actors. For example, Bird With The Crystal Plumage certainly plays better in Italian, while Phenomena and Suspiria play better in English. It's all a matter of opinion. However, Dario Argento's Sleepless is a film that is clearly better in Italian, despite the fact that the lead actor (Max Von Sydow) is an English-speaker. The English track on that film is truly awful and I've show it to people both ways and have never had anyone disagree with me yet. So, I think it just depends on the film, but there's no right or wrong answer.

In the case of Zombi 2, I've never seen the film in Italian so I can't say which one I'd prefer but I always want to have the option.

9. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    I found the Italian track on the BU to be VERY bad. Most films dubbed to English (ala HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY) sound horrid but that's how the Italian track on ZOMBIE sounds. As Brian points out, the majority of the cast spoke English and it was later dubbed to Italian so it doesn't fit too well. The guy dubbing Johnson sounds like he's only a teenager as well.

An indie store in Louisville called me saying they just got the SS version in so I'm going to try and pick it up tonight or tomorrow. This will be my fourth version of the film on DVD with another one to buy 2 years from now. [​IMG]

10. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

Any word on if this has been released yet? I had it pre-ordered from DVD Empire, and it was postponed from last week to Aug. 3. They're still not showing it in stock.

11. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I saw the single disc version yesterday at Best Buy along with copies of the old release, no sign of the 2 disc version though.

12. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott
    A couple of sites are reporting a 8/17 release date. A couple others have 8/10 so it looks like the typical who knows. SS is really hurting themselves since the BU release came out on time. I'm still getting both though.

13. Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast Stunt Coordinator

Michael Elliott
    Please can you do a comparison review between MB SS and Blue Underground if you bought both........[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

There are about three different threads concerning these titles but I can say that not only does the Shriek Show SE dvd have both the English 5.1 & Italian 5.1 tracks but also has both 2.0 surround and original mono versions in both languages.

15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I haven't seen the Blue Underground disc, but I will say that the brightness on the Shriek Show disc is a touch high, though nothing to get bent out of shape over (especially if you've had to live with the dreadful Anchor Bay disc).

I highly recommend the Shriek Show disc, especially since I don't see the BU disc available anywhere and the SS disc is only $14.95 (regular price and well stocked) at Best Buy, and has lots of great extras.

-Lyle J.P.

16. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

That's interesting...here in South Florida, Best Buy is only carrying the BU disc (there actually were a few Anchor Bay discs mixed in the aisle, tho.

No sign of the SS disc.....

17. KeithJP

KeithJP Extra

The Shriek Show and Blue Underground versions both have optional English subtitles available with all audio options. SS, for some reason, left that info off their package.

18. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Is there a Zombie 1 or is this the one that was a supposed sequel to dawn of the dead?

19. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Just a cash in on Dawn of the Dead.

20. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Was hoping THX1138 might have popped up early, so picked up the SS version on a blind buy.