Shrek vs. Monsters: Which deserves the Oscar?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve jaros, Nov 11, 2001.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    ... in the newly created ghetto Oscar for animated films?
    Shrek is probably just as worthy, but i'd give the nod to Monsters because Disney pretty much created the feature-film animation industry, so they deserve the "honor" of getting the first one.
    ------------------
    History can be cruel in its brevity of words

2. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I'll get my post in before this is moved to the Polls section.
    Although I love Shrek, I enjoyed Monsters Inc. more. So, my vote is for Monsters.

3. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I liked Shrek, but I loved Monsters. Mainly because I thought Monsters had a much better story. So my vote goes to Monsters Inc.

4. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Monsters Inc, for about a billion reasons I don't have time to type.
    Although here's one: No tired Matrix gags...
    ------------------
    If you have to get your DVDs on the street date, buy them in person at Best Buy or Costco. If you have to get your DVDs at the lowest bargain price available, order them online. Pick one and shut the fuck up.
    - DVD Freaks at The Lard Biscuit

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I enjoyed both movies, but I think overall, Monsters Inc. is more 'Oscar-Worthy'.
    And while I thought Final Fantasy was gorgeous, it's mediocre story and voice-acting keep it out of the running altogether. And other animated movies of note, this year?

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Why is an animation Oscar suddenly a Ghetto Oscar? Let's face it, an animated film could have the best story ever written but Hell would freeze over twice before it ever received an Oscar for "Best Picture" because the Academy is prejudiced against animation as a legitimate film form. At least the Animated FILM (as opposed to cartoon) is finally beginning to get some recognition as being something other than a poor cousin to live action. The really ironic thing is that all movies are animated.
    As to who will win the "ghetto" Oscar, my bet is on "SHREK" even though "MONSTERS INC." is actually a better written film.
    Edit:
    I should qualify my remarks about the Academy and it's prejudice as being...IMO.
    [Edited last by Edwin-S on November 11, 2001 at 07:47 PM]

7. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

I think he ment that this is a new category that was created, as many will consider the Oscar for the category beneath the main Oscar for Best Film.

8. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

This poll is pretty much like this one .
    ~Edwin

9. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Sort of. But I didn't even think about the Oscar for animated films, so I think it's a pretty good topic. Although it will probably be moved to Polls.

10. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Neither. Give it to Waking Life.

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I just took a look at the trailer for "Waking Life". Is this going to get a wide release or end up only in art house theatres? It looks interesting but I doubt it is going to have a mass appeal. Definitely an interesting animation style used. I wouldn't mind seeing it but where I live this film has a snow ball's chance in Hell of ever seeing a theatre.

12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Is the Oscar for animated films based on the visual effects only, the movie itself, or a combination of visual effects, story and voice acting?
    Both films had good animation, but the better writing goes to "Shrek."
    ------------------
    As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
    AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

14. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Edwin-S -
    I consider it a ghetto Oscar for the reasons you list: It's an attempt by the Academy to cover up a source of embarrassment - the fact that its' own members are too prejudiced against animated films to vote them "best picture", even when they deserve it (see both Toy Story films, for example).
    So the Academy creates a way to reward these films while making the Best Picture Oscar safe for the kinds of films that provide visible jobs for actors...
    ------------------
    History can be cruel in its brevity of words

15. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I'd give the Oscar to "Waking Life" first, then:
    2. "Final Fantasy"
    3. "Shrek"
    4. "Monsters, Inc."
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
    MY TOP 20 OF 2001

16. Hubert

Hubert Second Unit

Haven't seen Waking Life. But if it's between Shrek and Monsters Inc, Monsters Inc is the better film. Better story and better script.

17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Steve
    Well..I guess I cannot argue against your point because basically I agree with it. If a film deserves the "Best Picture" Oscar then it deserves it and the film form that it is made in should not be a factor. The problem is is that the people who vote will never admit that imaginary characters could actually have good enough "acting" to outclass a live actor or that the material in an animated film could ever be as worthy as a live film. Toy Story 2 is a good example. The story was well written with engaging characters and had more than a few moments where you could forget that you were watching toys and not people with actual personality behind them. The "Jessie's story" sequence was a particularly good example of that but there is no way that any Academy voter would ever admit that a "cartoon" is worthy of beating out even a mediocre live film. That is why I generally think that the Academy Awards are just four hours of bullshit.
    I'm not sure which is more insulting for people working in animation.....no recognition for quality work or.....a pat on the head for a job well done in "inferior" filmmaking.
    People involved in the animation business are guilty of thinking that they work in an "inferior" business. Look at Hanna and Barbera......I don't think they thought they had reached "respectability" until "The Flintstones" made it to live action; even those both of those films were actually pathetically inferior to any one of the animated episodes.
    Sorry to have gone off topic like this.

18. Holden Pike

Holden Pike Stunt Coordinator

My vote too would immediately go to Waking Life .
    But between Shrek and Monsters Inc., I think Monsters Inc. is the better overall film and technical achievement.
    [Edited last by Holden Pike on November 11, 2001 at 11:22 PM]

19. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I heard that the "Best Animated Feature" category might not be included this year due to a lack of competition. Last I heard they needed eight applicants, but only seven films had applied. Anybody have any new information?

20. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Paul, 13 movies were submitted, 3 of which will be nominated. Here are some movies that might have been submitted:
    -Atlantis: The Lost Empire
    -Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    -Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
    -MonkeyBone
    -Monsters Inc.
    -Osmosis Jones
    -Recess: School's Out
    -Shrek
    -Trumpet of the Swan
    -Waking Life
    My vote would go to Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I'm sure it'll be ignored though; the Annie Awards didn't even give it one nomination.
    ~T